S 10 T5 question

pflaming

There are many variations. The best way to figure it out is google a chart or the specific vehicle

On 5/1/2017 at 7:19 AM, pflaming said:

Is the five speed transmission behind the snall V 6 the desired one?

Get the number off the trans, the NWC T5s, a lot were for S10s, mid shifter location, early models were for both 4 cyl and V6, and with a 4.03 1st gear, 2.37 2nd gear and .86 5th overdrive.

The other choice in the NWC for S10s, is a 3.76 1st gear, and .73 overdrive.

So if your running a 3.73 rearend, and want to use a 4.03 1st gear type, better think about it.

Other options, a NWC T5 trans, with an S10 tailshaft, to give the preferred shifter location.

This is all moot, if you are running bucket seats I suppose.

Here go to "The Gearbox",

http://www.thegearbox.org/T5.html

36 minutes ago, 50plymouth said:

Desired in what way ?

Ye well the early NWC T5 from an S10 is hardly a desirable trans, with the 4.03 gear spread in 1st and .86 overdrive.

If he has a 3.08 rear gear, maybe it would work, that way you would only need to shift from 1st to 2nd before crossing an intersection, and .86 with say 3.08 gears might work, but honestly who is running 3.08 gears on here.

9 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Ye well the early NWC T5 from an S10 is hardly a desirable trans, with the 4.03 gear spread in 1st and .86 overdrive.

If he has a 3.08 rear gear, maybe it would work, that way you would only need to shift from 1st to 2nd before crossing an intersection, and .86 with say 3.08 gears might work, but honestly who is running 3.08 gears on here.

There are many many combinations. Why do you keep stating this as if there is only 1?

• Like 1

Ed and Don Coatney( added as you are looking at this and like Eds post), yes there are many combinations, but he asked specifically about the NWC s10 T5, for a V6 and what was used for a 4 cyl, as he doesn't want the low gearing , I get it.

The other T5s, Ford, and even other manufacturers, had a variety of gear spreads, but not the NWC T5 for an early S10, what exactly is the issue.

The man asked about the trans, and I am telling him what the gearing ratios and spreads are, and to beware of the 4.03 gear sets.

Don Coatney posted he was using the "diesel" T5 years ago, then stated its a NWC T5 from a an S10, or something like that. I take it, his is a 3.76 1st gear ratio type.?

Have a look at this, a Thread and info from Flat Ernie on the HAMB, he is a very knowledgeable man in this area.

People on this board, need to stop promoting the T5 as a great gear spread in all applications, because it is sure not.

Any time there is a T5 question, I will make it my responsibility to inform those about the gear spreads, uniformed people have a right to know.

This is not a debate on if the trans is a good candidate, nope it's about be aware of the intended donor you might come across or buy mistakenly without knowing the facts.

The 4.03 type, might or could work well with higher rear gears, like I mentioned, something like 3.08s, , but most do not use those type gears on here.

WHICH T-5 TO USE

S10

The S10 T-5 has garnered most of the attention due to its favorable shifter location. The S10, however, was a NWC unit through 1992. There are two basic gearsets available in the S10 T-5:

1st - 4.03 2nd - 2.37 3rd - 1.49 4th - 1.00 5th - 0.86
1st - 3.76 2nd - 2.18 3rd - 1.41 4th - 1.00 5th - 0.72

As a general rule of thumb, regardless of engine, ALL S10 T-5 prior to 1985 received the 4.03 gear set, while ALL S10 T-5 after 1986 got the 3.76 gearset. The S10 T-5 was also available in the equivalent GMC T-truck.

The speedometer changed to electronic with the 1990 model year, however, some 1989 model T5 came with electronic speedos if they were equipped with the optional digital dash. These can prove problematic for swaps, but output shafts & tail housings can be swapped with cable-driven speedo models. There is some evidence that certain types of early electronic speedos can be converted to mechanical, but I have no experience with this. There are also cable converters out there, but they are not inexpensive.

While not very common, the Astrovan T-5 is worth mentioning. With an offset shifter that can be replaced with an S10 shifter, it makes a good candidate for swaps too. The 4-cyl vans used the 3.76 gearset, but the ratios found behind the V6 are better than the S10:

1st- 3.50 2nd - 2.14 3rd - 1.39 4th - 1.00 5th - 0.78

Tag Numbers:

S/T Truck 4.03 Gearset 010, 012, 013, 014, 033, 042, 043, 055, 056, 057, 058, 146
S/T Truck 3.76 Gearset 107, 108, 110, 136, 145, 186, 191, 192, 193, 201
Astrovan 3.76 Gearset 170, 180, 190
Astrovan 3.50 Gearset 101, 148, 149, 164, 179, 189

MUSTANG

Introduced in 1983, the T-5 arguably gained its fame in the Mustang 5.0. The first to take the step up to WC in 1985, Ford used the T-5 through the Fox-body & SN-95 chassis ending in 1995. The strongest T-5 available was found in later Mustangs and available through Ford's Motorsport & SVO operations.

Available with a few different gearsets, the most common gearing was from 1985 through 1995:

1st- 3.35 2nd 1.99 - 3rd 1.33 4th - 1.00 5th - 0.68

The other V8 gearset used was the NWC 1983-84:

1st - 2.95 2nd - 1.94 3rd - 1.34 4th - 1.00 5th - 0.62 

Ford rated their T-5 anywhere from 260lb/ft to 335lb/ft depending on the application. In 1989, stronger alloys were used upping the torque rating from 260lb/ft to 300lb/ft. The 310lb/ft rating belonged to the 1993-94 Cobra spec T-5 and an aftermarket-only Z-spec T-5 was available with 335lb/ft.

The late-model (1994-95) 3.8 V6 T-5 was rated at 265lb/ft, had the slightly longer input shaft, and had the following ratios:

1st - 3.35 2nd - 1.93 3rd - 1.29 4th - 1.00 5th - 0.73 

Ford did use the T-5 in later V-6 Mustangs, but there is very little data on them. I do not have a list of production tag numbers, but they are challenging to swap due to their linkage-based shifer and lack of a slip-yoke using a flanged mating surface. I have never held one of these in my hands, but I suspect they could be used in many swaps with a remote linkage and a different driveshaft.

Tag Numbers

NWC V8 034, 065
3.8 V6 220, 236
V8 260lb/ft 126, 165, 169, 141 
V8 300lb/ft 199, 204, 208, 246, 218, 219
Z-spec 335 249, 251 
SVO 200, 202
Cobra 239, 242, 253

• Like 2

there's a fellow on the west coast that will convert a tail shaft with electric speedo to cable drive for 250.00

he did mine and its a nice job about one week turn around.  cable drive tail shaft t5's are getting hard to find

So glad you have done your homework. But there are a couple of flaws in your comments. The first T-5 I bought was from a high mileage diesel. There were 2 issues I discovered from that particular transmission and gear ratios was not one of them. I also did my homework and was aware of the gear ratios I was getting.  Number one was the input shaft was shorter than input shaft on a non diesel transmission. Next was due to the high mileage the transmission case had worn beyond repair. Even a full rebuild made this transmission less than desirable. So I found a more suitable replacement. I am now using a 13-52-145 and it has the identical ratios of my diesel transmission. Once again with your knowledge of the T-5 transmissions you should know the gear ratios of this transmission and I find the ratios very suitable for my driving style. Something I do not understand is why you always seem downgrade the T-5. Many folks on this forum have made good reports and details about the challenges when installing this transmission and the driving experiences once installed. I do not recall anyone on this forum ever saying anything bad about your transmission of choice. But many myself included have asked for instillation details on the A-833 but to date nobody has posted such details. A few have said there buddy, cousin, uncle, daddy, or friend have installed such transmission with good results but nobody has given details on the details of the instillation nor of the driving experiences. As I don't believe you have never done a transmission upgrade in your life I suggest you refrain from giving advice on what to do until you have completed your planned transmission upgrade. Glad you get it.

1 hour ago, Don Coatney said:

So glad you have done your homework. But there are a couple of flaws in your comments. The first T-5 I bought was from a high mileage diesel. There were 2 issues I discovered from that particular transmission and gear ratios was not one of them. I also did my homework and was aware of the gear ratios I was getting.  Number one was the input shaft was shorter than input shaft on a non diesel transmission. Next was due to the high mileage the transmission case had worn beyond repair. Even a full rebuild made this transmission less than desirable. So I found a more suitable replacement. I am now using a 13-52-145 and it has the identical ratios of my diesel transmission. Once again with your knowledge of the T-5 transmissions you should know the gear ratios of this transmission and I find the ratios very suitable for my driving style. Something I do not understand is why you always seem downgrade the T-5. Many folks on this forum have made good reports and details about the challenges when installing this transmission and the driving experiences once installed. I do not recall anyone on this forum ever saying anything bad about your transmission of choice. But many myself included have asked for instillation details on the A-833 but to date nobody has posted such details. A few have said there buddy, cousin, uncle, daddy, or friend have installed such transmission with good results but nobody has given details on the details of the instillation nor of the driving experiences. As I don't believe you have never done a transmission upgrade in your life I suggest you refrain from giving advice on what to do until you have completed your planned transmission upgrade. Glad you get it.

Don, quit ranting for a minute and listen to yourself?

The man, Paul Flaming asked which is more desirable, I then explain which is not, and give you and Ed the info and details.

Of course you take it all personal and go into your usual guffaw, and are now deflecting this to an A833 trans swap. Look Don the A833 doesn't work, never did, was a Chrysler white elephant, so get over it.

Not once did I mention an A833 trans in this thread.

The man wan't info, I provided to him, what could be the worse choice in gearing for what he is looking for.

Then you and Ed decide, this must be a conspiracy of some sort, and of course it is not.

I provided in detail some facts and specs on this trans. This was provided by a man on the HAMB who is a pro in respect to this trans, with many years of experience installing these in many different vehicles. Don how many T5 swaps have you done?

Don your an older man, " retired" with plenty of time on your hands, it's common knowledge your Plymouth is either down, or up for sale, and the wiring is shot or in need of some real attetion. I really don't care, that's your business. You bought another car, maybe better suited for your needs now, as you are getting older, as well all are, and face the facts, we are not young anymore. Perhaps health related issues play a part in this for you, I don't know.

I have seen 1 car you have bought and put your engine into, and T5 several years ago, and now you have the 47 Dodge fluid dirive too, might be a better choice at this time of your life.

I don't get it Don, you talk and post like all you have done is multiple T5 conversions, engine hop ups, and what have you.

Quit bringing into debate the A833 this thread is about a T5 NWC S10 gear choice......

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

58 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Don, quit ranting for a minute and listen to yourself?

The man, Paul Flaming asked which is more desirable, I then explain which is not, and give you and Eddie the info and details.

Of course you take it all personal and go into your usual guffaw, and are now deflecting this to an A833 trans swap. Look Don the A833 doesn't work, never did, was a Chrysler white elephant, so get over it.

Not once did I mention an A833 trans in this thread.

The man wan't info, I provided to him, what could be the worse choice in gearing for what he is looking for.

Then you and Eddie decide, this must be a conspiracy of some sort, and of course it is not.

I provided in detail some facts and specs on this trans. This was provided by a man on the HAMB who is a pro in respect to this trans, with many years of experience installing these in many different vehicles. Don how many T5 swaps have you done?

Don your an older man, " retired" with plenty of time on your hands, it's common knowledge your Plymouth is either down, or up for sale, and the wiring is shot or in need of some real attetion. I really don't care, that's your business. You bought another car, maybe better suited for your needs now, as you are getting older, as well all are, and face the facts, we are not young anymore. Perhaps health related issues play a part in this for you, I don't know.

I have seen 1 car you have bought and put your engine into, and T5 several years ago, and now you have the 47 Dodge fluid dirive too, might be a better choice at this time of your life.

I don't get it Don, you talk and post like all you have done is multiple T5 conversions, engine hop ups, and what have you.

Quit bringing into debate the A833 this thread is about a T5 NWC S10 gear choice......

Have you ever seen me go by Eddie? My forum handle is Ed-please use it.