Chrysler New Yorker c-56 1953

CR53

Dear All

I would be very grateful if somebody could tell me the type of fluid drive seal that my Chrysler New Yorker sedan c-56 1953 v8 has, two options: i) bellows type or ii) housing type. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Your car should use Housing Type for 1953.

The housing type fluid coupling seal was started in later 1950 and used through 1953.

The graphite seal ring inside the housing will have two small cut out notch's.... one on each outer side of the graphite seal ring..

Fluid Drive Coupling Cut Away Inside View C39  (4).JPG

Fluid Drive Tech Info (3).JPG

Fluid Drive Tech Info (2).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Thank you very much for the information! In that case, I would need the following parts (see picture) of my Chrysler New Yorker sedan c-56 1953 v8 (fluid drive housing type):

-i) Seal housing gasket; ii) Seal ring; iii) Seal ring gasket; iv) Gasket retainer; v) Seal spring.

Any help would be appreciated on how to obtain these parts. I only found the seal spring in ebay for 39-50 Chryslers, and I am not sure if it suites to my model. In addition, I would need these parts to be shipped to Spain. Thanks in advance!

All you really need is the graphite seal ring and the rubber seal ring gasket ( large Rubber O-Ring).

The seal housing gasket is a copper O-Ring gasket and can be re-used as can the seal spring and the steel gasket retainer.

Thank you for the information! Nevertheless, I do think that in my case I need the other parts (they are not in good conditions), in particular the seal spring, which is in very bad conditions and not working properly. I would be very grateful if you could provide me with websites where I can find these parts to be sent to Spain. Thanks again!

Dear Dodgeb4ya

Do you know where I can buy the "graphite seal ring and the rubber seal ring gasket ( large Rubber O-Ring)" you have previously commented?

Regarding the seal spring, I found this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-NOS-Fluid-Drive-Seal-Spring-41-50-Dodge-DeSoto-39-50-Chrysler-Imperial-/291835572578?hash=item43f2c17162:g:TyAAAOSwARZXoNqH&vxp=mtr

Do you think is it appropriate for my Chrysler New Yorker sedan c-56 1953 v8?

Thanks in advance!

The correct seal spring is part #1400211

The Rubber O-Ring Seal is part # 1320556

Seal Housing gasket is part # 854011

The Graphite seal ring is part # 1320561

The gasket retainer is part # 1320557

Thank you again for the information! Any website for purchasing and delivering them to Spain? (did you hear about https://www.collectorsautosupply.com ?)

Regarding the Graphite seal ring part # 1320561, I have checked it (see link) and it seems not to have the two small cut out notchs. Is it valid anyway for the housing type seal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-NOS-Fluid-Drive-Floating-Seal-Ring-50-54-D-51-53-DS-50-53-C-Y-/292096746459?hash=item440252a3db:g:R78AAOSwWiBY~2SQ&vxp=mtr

Thank you very much again for your kind support!

I double checked the part number in three different MoPar parts books

.1320561 is the correct # for late 1950 on up fluid drives.. It has to have the two notches on the out side for the tangs on the housing to locate it.

The one shown is probably a return or faulty manufactured part. It almost looks like the smooth outside with out notches for early 1946-early 50 cars but those seals have four slight cutouts on the inside circle.... part #1061168. This part # will not work.

The seal you need has to have two notches in it as long as your seal has those two notches and the steel sleeve housing.

I have serviced all three types over the years.

Collector Auto Supply has been around a long time and Is out of British Columbia Canada. Sometimes they buy from other dealers and resale the item.

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3137.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

• 1 month later...

Dear Dodgeb4ya

I have received the graphite seal part # 1320561  for my Chrysler New Yorker sedan c-56 1953 v8 (fluid drive housing type). Unfortunately this part does not fit to my car. See picture attached. It has not the two notches, so I suppose it is for a Bellows type seal. I have found this other part on ebay which seems to have the two notches. Do you think it is the one appropriate to my car?

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Torque-Converter-Carbon-Seal-Chrysler-Fluid-Drive-Antique-Special-H-D-/272722916109?hash=item3f7f8d730d:g:j~IAAOSwgv5ZRX3s

thanks again for your support!

seal.jpg

You received a box marked with the correct part # but with the wrong earlier seal in it with out the two notches.

Did the seller provide pictures of it before you bought it?

Anyway buy a graphite seal with the two notches.

As for the one http://www.ebay.com/usr/high-performance-international?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 it should be correct as it has the two grooves. No hassle return so says the seller.