No run condition

I'm leaning towards Brian's reply - last paragraph #7 ....Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow...The first two are rather weak  :)

4 hours ago, Silverdome said:

Everyone has mentioned ignition timing. Maybe it is valve timing?

I read the first post as saying the backfire happened...man continued to drive home.  Next day while investigating cause of backfire.  Fuel pump saturates intake and block...at no time was it mentioned that the truck ran rough after the back fire and the drive time to get it home...

7 hours ago, Silverdome said:

Everyone has mentioned ignition timing. Maybe it is valve timing?

That's where I'm going next.  If the chain jumped a tooth or two would the distributor match the piston tdc?

I am also thinking about removing the flywheel cover to see if something is in a bind on that side.

I will plan bypass the ignition also.  

other options pull the battery cables and possibly starter out of the 53 and test the on the 40....

I am also considering pulling the plugs on the 53 and counting the revolutions in a set time vs the same condition in the 40 and see if it truly is turning over at the same speed?

5 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I read the first post as saying the backfire happened...man continued to drive home.  Next day while investigating cause of backfire.  Fuel pump saturates intake and block...at no time was it mentioned that the truck ran rough after the back fire and the drive time to get it home...

Tim your right the truck ran fine for a mile or so till I got home.  It just wouldn't start after the cool down.

Okay, here is a little insight to the method of my madness. The reason I suggested valve timing is maybe the "pop" weakened a tooth but let the truck continue to run fine on the way home then when the fuel had filled the crankcase and you turned it over it went ahead and turned loose, because of the excess pressure being created below the piston, letting it jump out of time. I know it's pure speculation but it sounds like the majority of other causes have been addressed.

Please keep us updated as I find this troubleshooting fascinating.

Edited by Silverdome

Since the engine spins fast without the spark plugs installed let me assume that there is no abnormal mechanical resistance. You figured out that you have a good spark, checked the timing and there is fuel supply.

Did you try to start the motor by pushing the car ? I had to do this before I had rebuilt my motor -> it sometimes was absolutely not possible to start it by the starter motor, but amazing easy by pushing.

If that works, it would at least help to exclude the whole starter system as a failure source.

This probably isn't your issued, but I left a flat washer on the carb mount by accident, and then installed the carb.  The truck wouldn't run, wouldn't back fire, nothing I went through all the checks and then happened to notice the washer.  Felt like a fool.  Sometimes it is little thing we don't think of, or mistakes we make, that cause issues

So Dolly, are you suggesting a severe vacuum leak?

Edited by Silverdome

if you have compression in all six,? check. comfirm. you say you have spark where at spark plug or points? if you have compression then its not valve timing. have you checked the gap on your points and checked voltage at the coil? obviously your getting fuel sounds like to much fuel next time you start check plugs to see if wet you say you left fuel pump on. this should not feel up your manifold with fuel unless your float is stuck. this sounds more like a fuel problem.your trying to compress fuel in your cylinders has per your compression test. solution do not turn on your fuel pump leave it off  when starting. use some starting fluid only not to much just little squirts it don't take much. let us all know cheers and hope you get it sorted mate.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, lugnut123 said:

did you ever get this pickup to run ??

Not yet,  it has sat for about a week.  I debated sending to the shop, but it is still in the drive way.   I am going to pull the heads and pan and see what I got.  I believe there is a bind internally causing the engine to crank slow.  With all plugs removed it is significantly harder to turn over by hand than the 53.  I noticed that as you crank it over by hand there is a point where you feel a drag then it moves easier, then repeat.  I am wondering if I have something hanging up one of the pinstons....

My '48 has bound up, I'm thinking that it spun a bearing...it's like a wedge between the crank and rod since the alignment tab may have slipped out of the notch...a few months ago I recalled seeing something when I opened up the engine back in '96, but I didn't realize what I was looking at until reading something about it on the HAMB...better late than never :rolleyes:

When my 218 went it shattered a piston and stuck a rod through the pan...it ran 5 miles home, started multiple times that fall, and again next spring fired up and drove into the shop across the yard....so strange how some go forever and the next makes a bang and it's toast

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2017 at 11:25 PM, lugnut123 said:

Did you ever figger this thing out??

Okay here is a update.   Pulled the starter and the drag went away.  Got a 2nd starter rebuilt and it turned over fine, but would not start.  Beat my head against the wall for a while, then had a buddy come over and he found this....  any guess  what it was?  Soon as it was found we had it running in 5 mins.....

20170611_214110.jpg

It looks like it might be a insulating washer of some sort. On the other hand it kind of looks like one of those yucky coconut flavored Lifesavers.Having said that, Im not wearing my spectacles :)

John

Edited by John Rogers
  • Like 1

Picture is fuzzy!

Probably on purpose so we all won't be able to sleep not knowing what that part is!

Dog Gone It!

It is the contact to my new set of points I put on at the start of this.  Apparently it came off and my gap was huge....

So once the starter was spinning at a decent speed.  And I fixed this it runs good 

Edited by p24-1953
  • Like 1

Im glad that it was something so simple. I can imagine how excruciatingly painful and annoying an ordeal it was diagnosing it. Now you can get back to enjoying driving it :) 

John 

Edited by John Rogers