Disassembly of a 53 B4C

tanda62

So over the past few months I have been taking apart the truck (pics before and after along with the wiring) and owe many thanks to many people on this forum for tips on how to take some of the trickier parts apart.  The temp gauge in particular, disconnecting it from the engine rather than the back of the gauge. Just wondering if anyone else when taking their truck apart thought about the people who assembled your truck in the first place?  As I was pulling wires out of the dash, I pictured in my mind someone installing these wires back in 53.  Guess I just had that feeling of nostalgia that comes with working on an old truck.

passenger side.gif

Passenger no fenders.gif

wiring removed.gif

• Like 1

I tend to do that on lots of things in life, be an old vehicle, furniture, or building.  The history if these items could talk...

Whenever working on anything with a 6V system, I wonder how much snortin'n cussin' went on for the ten or so yrs when the world transitioned to 12V:  the training for safety at dealers and service stations; the $$$ spent on new testing and repair equipment (battery chargers, Sun testing machines, etc); the mishaps when inexperienced ppl tried to jump start in the winters...I've asked a few folks who remembered, and they all had the same look on their face, like they had just stepped in something...it must have been an expensive annoyance :cool:

My 1953 B4C was my dad's high school shop project in 1970-71.  It's been a lot of fun tearing it apart and sending pics back of certain "fixes" and getting a story back.  His favorite quote has been, "Well, you have to do your apprenticeship on something."  My favorite "fix" of his has been the clutch pedal welded to the shaft because they were missing the clamp that holds it in place and wanted to go drive it.  The favorite fix I've found that my uncle did was weld a bead on the arm of the fuel pump to try to get more fuel to the carb.

I7LSrNwg709fiBJCT9pb7wR5vYhZeMdj1qfzkp66lYl8buU7NATXqLZfN51fMOwaL1NVRc4MowIKK-7v_FJRk7A9WPBEbPkxYBoZSZWrJJhxvN9ZwvCML-Kv_UHTCGisaMn0ZdchwgnZ06b5_d5Zt6WPYlvLUCwL_IHPcSLJdyoHvOR9ItIP_N_nSoZ5P1m1vvilKvb-zRXS36eErkrTNa_hgwJrSRaZ61-YFTsBLNc1yCqPnoXrfVlo7b4YQ_XIXD5xazfMm7xtyq5Lpmk6XFDa8xaYQBNB2fg9qOptx7aO0Vn_XnHcEmtRchHSNosYU_nWPJmBm5HrBkjoq8GaSSB8WEL5BBgCX1CfwEHKdBAKNh5HIOWheJFH_9JHGO_N2TNEcSXOPr0YKkbDTgfGLyTIgRzvZ5FuRuUohV8rG7dlt-LHR4ro5yDUWufslD_G08-is0SvhCT8Dvy4X49AXS5X30kcJJXginTVI_rJgxSsZ5pWMcED6G3jyISR3iYe4EFz6VsRBoSBFK8QyB7Bnx9BcURi6MopQ-IyDrV8UUxScTo-NCII5JDIzEIaBM0bjAZ0SQPlTwQRYNToPjHZh8cKHni9Q_f5xI_l5CdPUgk3yzdYDV30=w1637-h920-no

_FXTBG9Gl0badsQqKzmZsMHzHmkukQrtiFPphcuzWwyDXrkEICzSrD2KEojqDy6mbUvrQ5KHVfvsJTnpzrrSONUAWAUrfqnO4xfQDIqSFwgeqx-nWiL8gVPEHClhCtdHDpJ5OLwMyIbWU2EZoR1W7SwZ9zLc2lzj_eTAC1BJXvKBlIAD1jzMA4TSaNnCQTwK7KKjcXjZvD5tV96aEQmnn2UhAxP2pg1uCeFx-C_TVQ3qlIGw7CC-DzTgOTHIyJssPz3Ty9QUBKFqJ8TnihEUWuOaZ_spzrr7kAO-xHhVnuyB39_KzLJ0BzgvpHMzSC56JxUOyOJGO1fyWDb1Spkf0sqF6oa5HgNp6WMZkfqWGOzDuioRZfdC5eklcP9GAw58GAUv9U-RsmrOJQE8VhelaHNHbGcLcifgcVZUEwr6Y2Q-yz-GVSbkOSC88wMkKtTwVzQAC1SUzKdIUFopFtPtBmNUBKoTSfqmtuXQBhgoBZW4JGxNHNnRyuVRNAy7xY-ib-kudSaSbqCY-4rLIDk-i4pvvQSktUZEOJFBdwbO1532IHYejtYsNpip_3AOwJb53qBNikAu9470fuDAnNcPaPI8w8fohjnVEaovOJbZ73A5uTWeJ9QU=w519-h922-no

• Like 1