Information on how to use brake adjusting tool ammco 1750 brake gage

JIPJOBXX

I vaguely recall it was about .015 or so?  Funny a good friend of mine just found one of Ammaco tools and he didn't know what it was for? Anyway he doesn't want to sell it but just play around with it on my Dodge.

Maybe Rich Hartung will chime in. He is a member on this forum and i believe he owns one of these tools and knows how to use it. The service manual for the car doesn't tell you how? I think my '39 Plymouth manual says what to adjust the brakes to using the Ammco tool.

-Chris

17 hours ago, JIPJOBXX said:

I vaguely recall it was about .015 or so?  Funny a good friend of mine just found one of Ammaco tools and he didn't know what it was for? Anyway he doesn't want to sell it but just play around with it on my Dodge.

jipjob: contact me rich Hartung about the tool, yes I have the ammoc and also the factory miller tool and can tell you all about the tool.  desoto1939@aol.com cell 484-431-8157 home 610-630-9188

Yea! After fiddling around with my friends Ammco 1750  Brake adjusting tool the front brakes work great!  I gogle the tool for instruction and all the info I needed was there.  Got a little bit of  brake bleeding to do and this lone draw out brake  issue should be completed.  So thanks for all the help and down the road I will go and where I stop who knows!

IMG_2140.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have anything to add to this instruction stuff but I would love to have one of these tools. Anyone getting rid of one? LOL

• 3 weeks later...

After spending all of my spare $ & time to finally get the old Model A to slide strait when the deer run out in front of me, I buy this old Dodge.  It took two years to chisel the grime off of the A chassis, six months to wear it back off of my hands & now I'm diving into a 70 year old Dodge.  My wife thinks I'm crazy - and she's usually right... :huh:

As I changed what I am quite sure was the original rear & transmission gear oil (not supposed to need a screwdriver to coax it out, are you??), I noticed a kingpin set is in order, brake lines, fuel line, etc.  While taking it for a test drive to introduce the transmission to its new gear oil, the left front brake started to grab really hard, and then it locked up completely at the next stop sign.  We had words, and then it let go and we continued on our way.  I noticed that if I gently tapped the brake & then slowly increased pedal pressure it would work normally.  Now it seems to be OK.  I didn't notice any fluid on the backing plate.  Any ideas?  What am I in for?  The previous owner told me that he had all of the brakes "done", wheel cylinders, etc.  Any words of wisdom before I dive into the brakes?