Windy Drives

55 Fargo

Hey you all, how many of you drive the old boats and trucks on windy days, or have been caught on an excursion when it became very windy.

We are experiencing wind gusts to 40-45 mph, had the truck out for a bit, but a whole lot of aerodynamic drag, and sure the fuel is sucking down the 2 carbs like a thirsty fat kid with a Slurpee on a Hot July day.

Even a 25 mph wind can be annoying, and never mind trailer pulling....

Edited by 55 Fargo Spitfire

5 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

That's no different with a modern vehicle. Drive into a heavy wind and the fuel mileage will suffer. 

Oh Yah, but a rolling Frigidaire, not only sucks fuel, it sucks speed... My 2015 Hemi powered Ram, you would never know it's windy with 400 HP and super quiet, but the gas gauge knows, but believe it or not, it will get 22 mpg on the highway...

Actually they are torquey enough they plod right along, but hang onto that steering wheel......

Wind gusts of 40-45 MPH is just a breezy day where I live. Lethbridge is the second windiest city in Canada. Only time I won't drive in the wind is after winter before the sand/gravel is swept up. If I didn't drive my old cars when it's windy, I wouldn't put anywhere near as many miles on as I do. Enjoy your breeze. 

24 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

Wind gusts of 40-45 MPH is just a breezy day where I live. Lethbridge is the second windiest city in Canada. Only time I won't drive in the wind is after winter before the sand/gravel is swept up. If I didn't drive my old cars when it's windy, I wouldn't put anywhere near as many miles on as I do. Enjoy your breeze. 

Yes Rob, heard your fair city is a windy place, while its windy here, a lot of calm days too..

The worst thing I own for driving when it's windy is my Jeep. 35" tires and a 4" lift, then the flat windshield and aerodynamics of a brick with the hard top on. Got some slop in the steering too.

• Like 2

Flatie46,

I can indirectly relate to the Jeep—my brother-in-law was driving on I-70 somewhere in western Kansas in his Jeep CJ-7, and coming up over a rise, the wind literally lifted the vehicle off of the ground front-end first, and then put it back on the roadway on its top. No one was hurt, but he hasn’t owned, much less driven, a Jeep CJ since then.

And I thought this thread was about bake beans............oops...............better get back in my corner...........lol.........andyd

3 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

And I thought this thread was about bake beans............oops...............better get back in my corner...........lol.........andyd

Listen Aussie, it's about Vegemite on toast wind....LOL Sorry man tired vegemite, not my thing....

Ever tried vegemite & baked beans?................like an afterburner............lol............all good.........lol..........andyd  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Ever tried vegemite & baked beans?................like an afterburner............lol............all good.........lol..........andyd  

Sounds like something that my tooting toddler would just love!  LOL. 

Years back I commuted in about a 1982 VW Rabbit diesel non turbo. I remember heading home one day into a stiff North wind, probably 30mph, gusting up to like 45. I had my foot to the floor for the whole 20 minute trip. Slowing to about 45mph up the hills and letting it run to a majestic top speed of maybe 64 down the really big hills. Of course that's when I encountered a shiny state patrol crown Vic. Oops. I couldn't help but laugh as he walked up to the window and looked over my 30 year old crap-can of a car. He said he caught me doing 63mph! I started laughing again. He asked me what was so funny, so I told him my ordeal. He kind of stepped back and looked at the car again and must have decided that I was probably telling the truth. Got a warning and he let me go on my way. Of course he got me on the last big hill. I don't think I reached 55mph the whole rest of the way home.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Feudin_Wagon said:

Years back I commuted in about a 1982 VW Rabbit diesel non turbo. I remember heading home one day into a stiff North wind, probably 30mph, gusting up to like 45. I had my foot to the floor for the whole 20 minute trip. Slowing to about 45mph up the hills and letting it run to a majestic top speed of maybe 64 down the really big hills. Of course that's when I encountered a shiny state patrol crown Vic. Oops. I couldn't help but laugh as he walked up to the window and looked over my 30 year old crap-can of a car. He said he caught me doing 63mph! I started laughing again. He asked me what was so funny, so I told him my ordeal. He kind of stepped back and looked at the car again and must have decided that I was probably telling the truth. Got a warning and he let me go on my way. Of course he got me on the last big hill. I don't think I reached 55mph the whole rest of the way home.

Yup, 1.6 l diesel 52 hp and 81 pounds of torque, gonna be slow....

On 4/27/2017 at 7:35 PM, Flatie46 said:

The worst thing I own for driving when it's windy is my Jeep. 35" tires and a 4" lift, then the flat windshield and aerodynamics of a brick with the hard top on. Got some slop in the steering too.

I can relate.  '95 Grand Cherokee here with ~4.5" lift, 33x12.50's.  Steering gets all kinds of sloppy when you start lifting things up, just makes it worse.  Tire on the roof for increased cross-section!

VVvx9Dp.jpg

Edited by Mortimer452
added pic

6 hours ago, Mortimer452 said:

I can relate.  '95 Grand Cherokee here with ~4.5" lift, 33x12.50's.  Steering gets all kinds of sloppy when you start lifting things up, just makes it worse.  Tire on the roof for increased cross-section!

VVvx9Dp.jpg

does it have a chrysler flathead 6 engine.......