727 trans. Front band help

The front band in front of the shifter mec. I removed all the out when installing my shifter kit from American shifter...did I mess anything up...I didn't move the truck or start it just took the front band adjustment bolt all the way out..I looked at youtube and said to tighten to 72 inch pounds and back off 2 turns...my question is should I drop the pan and see if the rod is touching the band or shoukd I be ok..I'll post a pic of the adjustment I took out thanks....

If the adjuster torques to spec it did not fall off the adjuster. If it did it is easy to put back on but you will have to drop the valve body, not

difficult. If the adjuster strut fell off the strut on the other end CAN fall off also, it is about .750 wide and 3.00" long. Good luck.

41 minutes ago, Shovelhead Dave said:

If the adjuster torques to spec it did not fall off the adjuster. If it did it is easy to put back on but you will have to drop the valve body, not

difficult. If the adjuster strut fell off the strut on the other end CAN fall off also, it is about .750 wide and 3.00" long. Good luck.

I just took it all the way out and put it right back in...I did readjusted it with the 2 1/2 turns...so shoukd I drop the pan and check or should I be ok

Ok put everything back together put it back on the ground now it's locked up every gear I select ever when I rock it nothing it won't move what could be wrong....I jacked the rear wheels off the ground the driveshaft will only turn to the left and any gear I select...

Edited by tattooman43
Miss spell

15 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

well, basically it must be something you did wrong when you dropped the valve body....go back and recheck your work...it is often tough to QA your own stuff as your mindset is the same as the guy who did the work....take a fresh look

Everything went back together as it came out also had a guy that works at a transmission shop check the bands out to make sure they were right...and he put the value body back in for me

answer me this..was it working before you stuck the shift kit in......it is not hard to overlook a minor detail in any build...If was working right before....then the workmanship or the KIT is in question.  The band adjust has nothing to do with mechanical positioning of the shifter

20 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

answer me this..was it working before you stuck the shift kit in......it is not hard to overlook a minor detail in any build...If was working right before....then the workmanship or the KIT is in question.  The band adjust has nothing to do with mechanical positioning of the shifter

I never put a shift kit in it...I was putting a shifter...kit on it when I back the band adjustment all the way out. ...and yes it was move able before I dropped the pan and body

I'd go back and recheck that rear band setting.   Those bands have to have hydraulic pressure applied to engage them. You should be able to turn the driveshaft in either direction with the engine off, granted it'll turn a lot harder one direction than the other. Being able to turn the driveshaft in one direction tells me the band is holding the drum a bit turning it to the right and the sprag clutch lets it turn to the left.

I don't know how much of the valve body you've had out or apart but the arm that actually moves the shift valve can miss the section in the valve that pulls it in or out and if so may be causing your problem.