P15 Clutch & brake pedal Torque Shaft Assembly Layout Question

3046moparcoupe

Reaching out for a little help if possible. Attached pics are of the bell housing on our 46 model flat six 218, inside the cab, drivers side, immediately next to/below the starter bolt up location.

Pic#1: The rectangular shaped black piece with a hole at each corner is called the "Spring 6-58-5" ..it's the bracket that the Torque shaft attaches to on the engine side. I drew all this out in detail when I removed it - however in putting this all back together there are two things that have me uncertain...guess my details weren't detailed enough :)

Pic#2-3: The Spring Bracket is flat, so when it's bolted down firm with the 2ea 5/16 bolts (as shown in pic#3 where they are just finger tightened down) against the bell housing, that 1/8" or so lip/edge on the bell housing is going to either bend the Spring Bracket or just curve it outward,..I guess ?? I didn't want to try it yet to just find out :) yet in my mind, I know it came off here and I feel sure there wasn't anything behind it, like a spacer, etc...course maybe there should have been ?? dont' know.

Pic #4: This is the only drawing I've found, looking down from above on the torque shaft....this diagram is from the 46 P15 parts list manual. with associated parts breakdown as follows:

Spring 6-58-5, Clutch Torque Shaft Clutch Housing Pivot Bracket, pp# 871993 1ea. Attaching Standard Parts are: 2ea 1" 5/16 bolts, 2ea 2" 5/16 bolts, and 4ea 5/16 washers.

(So it doesn't say or show anything else as being required, like a spacer, etc...also in the diagram in pic#4 if the spring bracket is supposed to be bolted down, directly to the bell housing, and up against that 1/8" ridge/lip as I have it in pic#3, then they chose not to show that in the diagram as it just depicts the bracket being bolted up against a flat un-labeled surface.)

Anyone out there able to take a look at their P15 and let me know how this one bracket should correctly bolt up...if this is correct,...or if I'm missing something here...it would be greatly appreciated.

Of course I'm just taking a wild swag here, but I'm wondering if possible the reason it's called a "Spring"  in the parts manual, is that when bolted in, across that lip/edge, it might give the bracket the ability to serve as a spring, sorta like a diving board effect,...??  but I'm just throwing that out there in effort of trying to make sense of this bolting up the way I have it as shown in pic #2.

Also, the Spring bracket plate has a little hole in it separate from the 4ea mounting holes located at the corners. It's over on one end of the brkt. Seems like that would have to be where a spring connects. I know when I took this all apart, a previous individual had attached a spring around one of the torque shaft pins...I documented where it was attached, but it was obvious it wasn't correct.....I'm thinking the correct spring probably attached and anchored at this tiny hole..but obviously guessing...All that said - since the hole wasn't being used before (I don't even think it could be seen from years of grease, etc until I'd removed it and started cleaning it up),.I don't know at this point if the end of the brkt where the hole is located should be placed towards the front or the rear of the car..and exactly what it's for...

I greatly appreciate any and all replys. Thanks again for all the help.

Steve

100_4764.JPG

100_4767.JPG

100_4770.JPG

100_4772.JPG

You mount the shifter linkage bell crank first  ( 3/16" thick) and then the Torque shaft pivot mount plate.

That will space the pivot mount plate out properly.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

As for that little 1/8" hole I don't know....:unsure:

I looked at two of my Chrysler  cars and that hole is not used.

I don't think the P-15's use it either.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

DB4, thanks again,....I drew all this out about a year ago, long enough that I'd forgotten what all I drew,...after you were good enough to reply back, I was digging deeper into my drawings and low and behold, look what I found. (attached drwg) Crap - pretty sad when ya can't even find your own notes, huh ? !! 

hangin' in there - like a hair in a biscuit :) appreciate you taking the time to reply back.

Steve

100_4775.JPG

• Like 1

thxs for looking DB4, and yes 1/8" hole sounds correct....after I posted - I also found this drwg I'd made (attached) which shows the bracket (with the little hole) and per the drwg when I removed the brkt the hole was visible, and it was clocked towards the front of the car....sounds like maybe the hole isn't used, I'll go back with it the same way, located towards the front of the car.

S.

100_4776.JPG

Edited by 3046moparcoupe

My Chryslers have that hole in the same position as yours though I don't think it matters if the plate were rotated 180 degree's as long as the ball pivot is mounted to the plate and bell housing correctly.

The hole is not used as shown by your excellent notes too!

Note keeping and pictures are a good thing for sure as long as we can find and use them!

Torque shaft spring groove.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2017 at 6:45 PM, 3046moparcoupe said:

DB4, thanks again,....I drew all this out about a year ago, long enough that I'd forgotten what all I drew,...after you were good enough to reply back, I was digging deeper into my drawings and low and behold, look what I found. (attached drwg) Crap - pretty sad when ya can't even find your own notes, huh ? !! 

hangin' in there - like a hair in a biscuit :) appreciate you taking the time to reply back.

Steve

100_4775.JPG

I had the same question on  a later post and luckily I found this older  post.  Does the rectangular (spring) plate mount on top of this Cluthc Linkage mounting plate?