1937 Plymouth P4 Carb problem

Patrick De

Who can help me please with a good carburetor for my just bought 1937 Plymouth P4?

A carb repairset (C6F5 - from Bernbaum) did not help and they don't have another.

Here in Europe nobody can help me.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

Carb4.jpg

carb2.jpg

My 1938 Dodge ( Canadian 38 Plymouth basically) has a Stromberg D5 carb on it and it works great. It is set up for the smaller intake of the 38 and probably 37. I am going to a dual carb when I get my linkage figured out.

You might look for one of these carbs or mine might be available later, if you can't find one. 

If you need a rebuild kit I have got some from here

http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter-BB-Ball-Ball-Carburetor-Kit_p_974.html

20170221_114935.jpg

Edited by 1949 Goat
additional link

3 minutes ago, greg g said:

What are the problems?

The corrosion on the upper part made the material porous so it leaks on several places.

are the pictures that youhave posted of the carb after the carb has been rebuilt with the repair kit and then put on the car to test the carb?  There is a lot of reidue on the body of  the carb. I would suggest that the carb be taken apart and completely recleaned in side and out.  Did you put the two small ball bearings into the correct holes. ALOT OF PEOPLE BUT THE WRONG BB AND THEN THIS CAUSE THE CARB NOT TO WORK CORRECTLY. To get the correct repait kit you need to know what model Carter Ball & Ball carb you have.  On the top of the carb body near where the fuel line attaches to the carb on the flange clean this area real well there will be about 4 letters of number stamped into the flange. You need to know these number and or letter so that you get the correct kits and gaskets.  If you then know the number then you can do a search on Ebay and you also might find a kit.  But first reclean this carb and then inspect the entire unit.

Rich Hartung

6 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

I see a lot of silicon goo on the base of the carb.  Did the vacuum port on the base of the carb get clogged ?

I bought it this way. 

5 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

are the pictures that youhave posted of the carb after the carb has been rebuilt with the repair kit and then put on the car to test the carb?  There is a lot of reidue on the body of  the carb. I would suggest that the carb be taken apart and completely recleaned in side and out.  Did you put the two small ball bearings into the correct holes. ALOT OF PEOPLE BUT THE WRONG BB AND THEN THIS CAUSE THE CARB NOT TO WORK CORRECTLY. To get the correct repait kit you need to know what model Carter Ball & Ball carb you have.  On the top of the carb body near where the fuel line attaches to the carb on the flange clean this area real well there will be about 4 letters of number stamped into the flange. You need to know these number and or letter so that you get the correct kits and gaskets.  If you then know the number then you can do a search on Ebay and you also might find a kit.  But first reclean this carb and then inspect the entire unit.

Rich Hartung

Hi Rich,

these pictures were before the rebuilt with the right carb repairset I got from Bernbaum. We fully cleaned it before. Corosion made it porous. Apperently no good carb even when new.

Patrick,  I know that you are in Belgium and hope you can get something local or the USA if need be but here in Australia a very common replacement carburettor for all of the mopar single barrel carbys is the single barrel Bendix Stromberg carby that was used on Australian Holden 6 cylinder cars from 1964 to the late 70's, the ideal one is from whats known as the Holden "Red" engine from 179/186 & 202 cubic inch capacity, this carby bolts straight onto the mopar intake and the accelerator linkage is similar.........these carbys are a later design then the mopar Carters and might be worth thinking about......I don't have any at present but was going to use a pair on an Offy twin carb intake on a 230 engine I was building up and I also had one on the original 1941 Plymouth engine.........have attached 2 pics.......these carbys are still common on Australian ebay if that helps.............and rebuild kits also common............let me know if you want me to keep a lookout for one........good luck with the Carter.....Andy Douglas     

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

• Like 1

Is this the carb with the small throttle plate and the closer set mounting studs?  If so you might find a reasonable substitute sourcing the very similar carter used by Studebaker on their flathead sixes from the same time period.There was also an aftermarket one made by Till it's on that was a basic universal fit 1 bbl.

Edited by greg g

The carburator used on the Chevrolet  six up to about 53 works well on the Plymouth 201.

So also does the  Zenith as found on the 40s International light trucks.

Patrick.......Dpollos suggestions reminded me of the single barrel carby that is used on Bedford trucks, they were basically an English version of the Chev/GM trucks and might be more common in Europe.....also check Opel and Vauxhaul as both used a 6 cylinder ..............andyd.    

If you contact member "Tim Kingsbury" on this forum he may be able to help you with finding a replacement. Or maybe he knows of an overseas version that will work on the engine. Good luck.

-Chris

I have found a "1933-1938 Plymouth Carter Carburetor *Remanufactured, Our Part No. 12-117N"  at Carburetor center 

https://www.carburetorcenter.com/

Will arrive next week. 

Looking forward to it.

Thanks to all for the help and information.

Regards,
Patrick