Leaf springs

Hi all:  I have been looking at getting new springs or having them re-arced.  My question regarding pricing.  I looked around the internet and prices are all over the board.  For example, Eaton Detroit Springs wants $469 each for new rear,  Leaf Spring Suspension in St. Louis wants $163 each for new rear ($100 each to re-arch and retemper).   That is a huge price difference.  Has anyone gotten springs from Leaf Spring (says they have been in business since 1943).

Thanks

Edited by DollyDodge

Also remember you will need to replace the shackle bushings and I don't believe they can be purchased separately from the shackle. The replacement Dodge shackles and metal bushings are around $40 each. However, as long as your shackles are in good condition, head over to RockAuto.com. Purchase shackles for a 53 Willy's for around $10 each and just use the new bushings on your shackles. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

Also remember you will need to replace the shackle bushings and I don't believe they can be purchased separately from the shackle. The replacement Dodge shackles and metal bushings are around $40 each. However, as long as your shackles are in good condition, head over to RockAuto.com. Purchase shackles for a 53 Willy's for around $10 each and just use the new bushings on your shackles. 

Thank you

Oil: for the most part those springs were designed for loads on rough roads and in tough fields neither of which most reclaimed trucks will not experience. Rust I will grant, gravity I'm not so sure. But what makes sense to the owner I find no fault with. 

Hi all, been out of town for a few days.  Old Dolly is over 2 inches lower on the driver side rear, the front is also a bit off but not as bad.  She has been that way as long as I can remember.  It is one thing I wanted, for old Dolly to ride level again.  I looked at having the old springs redone, but I decided to go with new.  I may some day get the old ones re-arched.  It cost $100 at St Louis Springs to have them redone, but shipping both ways made them more expensive, though just a little.  The new springs are $163 each plus about $40 shipping each.  I contacted McVeigh springs as suggested above, but he doesn't have 1950 model springs here is what he said "Unfortunately my manufacturer requires a 12 piece minimum order. I  do carry a set for the 54-57 3/4 ton with identical dimensions and spring rate but only a 7 leaf count. Your spring most likely has 9 leaves. This set has same capacity but would make the vehicle ride height appx. 1" lower than stock. $290.00/ pair. Thank you, Tom".  St Louis has been in business since the 1940s with the same family. They do all kinds of leaf spring work. They seem like a good company.  He knew all the specs for the springs for my truck off the top of his head, which made me feel good.  Some day I will do the fronts too.

Edited by DollyDodge

Hi Keven, I heard back from Sac Spring this is what he said. "To make new ones they are 350 each. To arch and rebuild the old ones it's 350 for the pair. A considerable difference, that's if you bring the springs in off the vehicle..."  So they are a bit more expensive, but they are a lot closer. He didn't include shipping which would be a little more.   

I had front springs made new & back springs re-arched for my 53 truck at Carrolls Springs here in Oz. They charged me a little over $100 per spring & only took a couple of days... quite a surprise when compared to your USA prices given that things are generally way more expensive here in Oz.

i have a slight lean to the left on the front of my 52 truck, so I will have to send those springs off for re-arching as well. Maybe I should do it soon if prices are on the rise!

Well I feel akin to a fool.. I started cleaning all the old grease off the ends of the springs getting ready to put the new ones on when they get here, and then I notice something, it was one of those oh s**t moments. The shackles are different sizes on the rear springs.. One is 4 inches center to center, the other 2 3/4 inches center to center.. I have greased thar truck on and off for over 40 years and never noticed that.. Some one a long time ago replaced one of the shackles with the incorrect shackle.  I probably bought springs I don't need.  Oh wel gotta laugh at one's self I guess, expensive boo boo though.

• Like 1