Front cap

Royhldn

It is a 51' b3b. As for putting it back in reverse order may not be the best plan since I wasn't concerned about messing up fresh paint.  My guess is I should put the fender liners in then fenders and then from cap followed by hood.  Any thoughts?

I'm not sure which piece you refer to as the front cap, but when I assembled my truck I installed the front grill assembly first. Then you can set the inner fender panels in place and hold them temporarily with some wire or bungee cords, then set the fenders in place. There should be a rubber gasket between the fenders and front grill panel. I used some urethane calk instead. Once you have it all aligned and tightened down you can attach the inner fender panels. The hood would be the last piece.

Merle

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where the nose piece and fenders meet, put a double layer of painters tape (blue, not as sticky as yellow or green masking tape).....where the fenders meet the door......where the hood meets the fender, etc.....put tape. This will keep the chips down....the inevitable body "strikes". Where you can, lay a nice non-abrasive blanket down to help protect the surface during assyembly. New paint is still "soft" for weeks after the exit from the booth. Finger prints can still be recorded in a paint job days old. If you have received your parts painted, don't lay a cover over them....let them air out a week or so and then slowly put it back together. Show us some pictures, would like to see the new color.

48D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is a 51' b3b. As for putting it back in reverse order may not be the best plan since I wasn't concerned about messing up fresh paint.  My guess is I should put the fender liners in then fenders and then from cap followed by hood.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for the comments. I started with the liners, fenders and then the front cap. Taped email everything and so far no dings. Can't seem to get the gaps right on the driver's side. May need to take the fender off and try it again.  

On my B4B, I put the front part on first, then the hood to hold it in place, set the inner fenders in place and attached the fenders.  Once the fenders were attached, but tightened down, I attached the inner fenders.  Lining up the fenders was a PITA.  Some minor repairs to fender mounting brackets caused the original alignment to not be obvious.  I forget who, but someone told me later it would have been easier to line up if I had assembled the grille and fenders off the truck, set that in place, then attached the hood and the inner fenders.