7 hours ago, The Oil Soup said:

How about a photo (close up) of the decal on the oil filter.

if it is a repop decal it is a good chance it is wrong.  The ones out there are for full flow not bypass filters....

I'll try to grab a pic tonight when I get home.  It should be all original.  No one has attempted to restore this truck up to this point.  it's been in 1 family since new.

• 7 months later...

Pretty cool deal. The pics of the dash brought it home for me.  My Dad had a 54 Dodge 2 ton wheat truck with the hemi engine.  It was a good truck except the vacuum operated two speed never worked worth a ****.  Sometimes when you really needed it to gear down on a hill, it would get stuck in neutral.  No amount of revving engine, double clutching, shouting obscenities would work sometimes.  But, yeah job-rated.  That baby would haul a load of wheat like nobody's business!!

4 hours ago, Duffy said:

Pretty cool deal. The pics of the dash brought it home for me.  My Dad had a 54 Dodge 2 ton wheat truck with the hemi engine.  It was a good truck except the vacuum operated two speed never worked worth a ****.  Sometimes when you really needed it to gear down on a hill, it would get stuck in neutral.  No amount of revving engine, double clutching, shouting obscenities would work sometimes.  But, yeah job-rated.  That baby would haul a load of wheat like nobody's business!!

The 2 ton might have had a damaged Diff or a vacuum supply issue or diaphragm.

I've never seen or had a 1948-53 Dodge with one that did not work like a charm ....lightning fast and BAM you're in or out of high or low range.

I've spent many an hour driving these Eaton's and Timken vacuum operated 2 speed rear axles. Their fun to drive!

@Dodgeb4ya I bet you’re right. Come to think of it, the rear end always made a loud howling sound.  Do not know why my Dad never fixed it??  Between that and bad  brakes damn thing nearly killed me one time.  Not the truck’s fault of course.   It only got used once a year at harvest but still....  Guessing you’re from WoodiNville?  We live in Port Townsend.  Our wheat farm was in Almira, wa - know where that is?