D34 engine camshaft

BillyBoySmith

Hi techy guys, I (stupidly) managed to break a lug off the camshaft sprocket mount. (Dodge D34 Engine) - Is this part of the camshaft, or a seperate part driven by the camshaft ?? Ironically, the cam lobes seem OK and I was hoping to re-use it. (W/shop manual is useless). Any camshaft pictures would be more than welcome, - can't find any on the internet. Regards, BB.

Edited by BillyBoySmith

5 hours ago, BillyBoySmith said:

Thanks Don, I guess I'll have to replace the whole camshaft then, Great pic, answered my question. Regards, Billy.

The more I think about it I believe it is removable. It is keyed in place. Take the shaft to a good machine shop and they should be able to remove it.

It can be removed with the correct quality puller and then another pressed on.

Vintage Power Wagons has new camshaft Hubs... 1" and 1-1/8"  for $40.00 and $45.00 .

Even new cams.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I think best bet is to replace camshaft. I believe that some of the rebuild kits available include a camshaft, Hmmmm, I wonder if there's a 'hotter' cam available ????

• 2 weeks later...

Vintage Power Wagons offers camshafts that have different grinds, for both the 23" and 25" engines.  They say the cams are meant for better highway driveability.  I don't know the specs on them, but you could contact VPW and they could probably tell you more.

Also, I've read of some guys using Tacoma Cams in Washington state, and talked to a guy who uses D. Elgin cams (not to be confused with Elgin cams), to get "hotter" cams, and they seem pleased with results. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dodgeb4ya and Matt Wilson, thanks for your help guys. I contacted Dodge Power Wagons and a cam sprocket hub is on its way to me. Glad to have found a supplier 'cos the camshaft is definitely useable. Regards, B.B.

On 27/05/2017 at 3:06 PM, Matt Wilson said:

Vintage Power Wagons offers camshafts that have different grinds, for both the 23" and 25" engines.  They say the cams are meant for better highway driveability.  I don't know the specs on them, but you could contact VPW and they could probably tell you more.

Also, I've read of some guys using Tacoma Cams in Washington state, and talked to a guy who uses D. Elgin cams (not to be confused with Elgin cams), to get "hotter" cams, and they seem pleased with results. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2017 at 5:11 PM, BillyBoySmith said:

Hi techy guys, I (stupidly) managed to break a lug off the camshaft sprocket mount. (Dodge D34 Engine) - Is this part of the camshaft, or a seperate part driven by the camshaft ?? Ironically, the cam lobes seem OK and I was hoping to re-use it. (W/shop manual is useless). Any camshaft pictures would be more than welcome, - can't find any on the internet. Regards, BB.

Dodge motor cortado..jpg

image.jpeg.558190e3c6587cd94e5fbc285f17f1fc.jpeg

• Like 2