1959 Dodge Coronet OD Trans

48oldwood

Well I found one. It has a small piece of wiring harness with a button. and its connected to a relay. It was shipped in 2 pieces and has everything with it. Give me some feedback on these #'s. Should I rebuild it while I have it out. It was pulled out of a running car 45 yrs ago. It came out of a '59 Plymouth wagon. My clutch is starting to slip under a load so It time to do a swap.

001.JPG

004.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Fits 57 to 61  but not the 40 to 56 where the R10 has proven popular.  The internals so far as I know are the same.

I have one here as you know, so congratulations on finding one closer to home.

You off a cpl of years on application. '59 was the last year for the flathead being used in passenger cars. It was almost in Canada. North Dakota is cold and a long way from Arkansas. It was sent in 2 pieces on Fed Ex for $210.

You are right about ND being cold and almost in Canada.  The freight rate interests me since cross border shipping has further expenses. To compound my shipping woes I am also on an island so most of the time I don't get involved.

Indeed the flathead was last used in 59, at least in the passenger car but I was told this  transmission  carried through..... no proof though and the only 61 left around here iv a V8 automatic.

From what I understand, the R10's are the ones to get. It's basically a three speed with a planetary OD behind it, engaged by a solenoid.

Things to consider are bolt pattern, input shaft length, spline count, and linkage. If you already have a three speed in your car, that might be a head start.

The guy who's an authority on these trannys is George Asche - his phone number is on here somewhere if you search. He rebuilds these regularly. There are also some threads from several years back discussing these that I recall.

Good luck!

• Like 1

After cleaning it I found these welded areas. It looks like these were reattached. Both of the double ears on the end of the tail shaft are heavily welded and 1 ear up a couple of inches appears to have been reattached. I don''t know if they were broken off completely or what. If the insides work correctly I guess it will be fine.

002.JPG

004.JPG

001.JPG

What does this transmission look like from the other side?  It sure resembles a OD that I got out of a 1958 Dodge 1/2 Ton Truck....