I swapped out 218 to 230 kept 218 fly wheel  , shaved bellhousing around starter so would hit ring, put tranny shaft through to line up clutch plate the tightened, now I'm wondering if I need a pilot bearing as the 230 cam didn't have as it had the HI -DRIVE. From what I recall seeing is that there's no room for one since HI - DRIVE. 

Regards!

Don's solution is better than the original setup.  

In your case,  the front of the  input shaft will need support.  

For the most part, pilot bushings and crankshafts were compatible  and cars with Fluid Drive often had (un needed) pilot bushings in the crankshaft.    I have heard of  differences with HyDrive  but did not find any such problems with a HyDrive 54 Plymouth that I had.  I did have trouble locating a block with the necessary oil passages.  History now.   

On 4/16/2017 at 8:05 AM, dpollo said:

Don's solution is better than the original setup.  

In your case,  the front of the  input shaft will need support.  

For the most part, pilot bushings and crankshafts were compatible  and cars with Fluid Drive often had (un needed) pilot bushings in the crankshaft.    I have heard of  differences with HyDrive  but did not find any such problems with a HyDrive 54 Plymouth that I had.  I did have trouble locating a block with the necessary oil passages.  History now.   

Thanks. What's the stock set up? Where can I get a bearing to support the tip of the shaft? 

I just tore into it again and looks like a standard pilot bushing would do the trick, but if you guys know something different, like bushing from 218 not fit? 230 cam and tranny, bell housing, flywheel 

thanks in advance 

Jarva69. It it is using the standard bushing I have the special Miller factory tool that is used to install the pilot bushing and then the tool also burnishes the bushing to the correct size.  Contact me if you want to borrow the tool.  I also have two of these same tools.

Rich Hartung   desoto1939@aolo.com