48 Plymouth rear brake cylinders

56Alan

Just recently replaced/ upgraded the brakes and 500miles down the line the standard Raybestos rear cylinders are leaking fluid. I would take them back for replacements but as I am in the UK it's easer said than done. My question is has anyone modified the back plates and fitted a better cylinder from say a jeep or something which I stand a good chance of getting in the UK? If I get desperate I might consider an axle upgrade, at least this would give me self centering shoes, any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-12222-Brake-Cylinder-Repair/dp/B001PXYP52/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1492280956&vehicle=1948-43-4810-20-----------25-0&sr=1-1&ymm=1948%3Aplymouth%3Ap15+special+deluxe&keywords=wheel+cylinders

There are  USD on Amazon. Do a search using that parts number,as well as the parts number of the wheel cylinders you bought on the British Amazon and see what pops up. If nothing else it might save you a bundle on shipping.

BTW,the key here is to find the original parts number,and then doing a search on the Amazon site as well as similar sites using that number. I was looking at having to pay 90 bucks each for new wheel cylinders for my 1939 IHC pu a couple of years ago,and then ran the parts number and discovered it was the same wheel cylinder used by 1953 and 1954 Corvettes,and they were not only in stock but were less than 5 USD each for BRAND NEW Lockheed wheel cylinders.

Due to how cheap Americans seem to be getting when price shopping all the current new wheel cylinders being sold for our old Mopars are Chinese and might last up to 2 years ...........then will leak and wipe out those newly relined shoes with less than 5000 miles on them.

I know from lots of experience.

The ones I bought from Amazon for my 39 IHC pu are still working perfectly 3+ years later.

God is watching over you....

Resleeving is the way to go. I have had many cylinders, both wheel and master cylinders, resleeved and never had a problem since. No need to worry about pitting down the road either. In fact, I am installing a set of resleeved wheel cylinders and a master cylinder in my 1951 Dodge D39 business coupe project right now.

Lots of places out there that do it but I have had mine done at White Post Restoration and been more than satisfied. I am in no way affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer.

Quot

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

I guess the best information for allmember is that when you are taking an original part out of your truck or car and it is a mopar part just keep them or it in a used box. Sometime they can be rebuilt and this goes for most parts.  If you have the original then these are better than the new Asian junk that is being reproed.

Just my 25cents worth of information.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

I guess the best information for allmember is that when you are taking an original part out of your truck or car and it is a mopar part just keep them or it in a used box. Sometime they can be rebuilt and this goes for most parts.  If you have the original then these are better than the new Asian junk that is being reproed.

Just my 25cents worth of information.

Rich Hartung

Ditto.  It can also include well known brand names from the past that were made in the USA or Canada before outsourcing became prevalent. Most of the time they were of far better quality than modern reproduction parts.

I have all the original old wheel cyl for front and rear been soaking in oil for a week now look in good shape, no signs of damage, plan on rebuilding them all myself with me pistons and rubber, I see lots avail online but thought to as anyone with experience in somewhere good that doesn't sell junk? Thanks 

On 4/15/2017 at 2:41 PM, desoto1939 said:

did you save the original WC? You can have the original resleaved.

rich hartung

Resleaved, this something one can do themselves considering they have an idea of what they're doing? Who sells the sleeves and new pistons for that matter that's trusting? Thx

You will not be able to re-sleeve them yourself.

Requires special tooling and plenty of sleeving experience.

The sleeves must be installed tight and with precision.

Use Hagens or Whitepost for this rebuild.

Ill donate my full set of nearly new cylinders front and back for the cost of shipping to the first member who contacts me.  They are doing nothing out in the shed...

Edited by dale
Added to it..
  • Like 3

Hi Dale, what a great thing man, says a lot about your character and passion for these old cars. I just sent you an email as well I can be reached anytime at # below.

im restoring our 48 with my son and will put to good use.

V/R

chris 

562-310-7240

Since wheel cylinders and can step downs which means that there are two different sizes in a single cylinder then there is additional machining that has to be done versus a single sized cylinder.  As the price for materials and labor increase a company that doses this type of work does not want to quote a price and then have to increase the price. So as done has stated it is better to call the company and ask for a quote directly from them. I have visited White Post and toured their facility and they have very good craftsman.

Rich Hartung

I just had White Post do all  wheel cylinders and the master cylinder for my 1951 Dodge D39 business coupe. This was last December.  Wheel cylinders were $85 each and MC was $175. At first seems pricey but new  wheel cylinders were not cheap either and of unknown quality. The cylinders I sent had sat for years and even with compressed air I could not get them apart. They came back looking new. I know they are the same cylinders as I had marked them all. The price includes sleeving with brass and replacing all rubber and anything else they deem necessary to replace. They are ready to bolt on and use. I should never have to worry again about brake cylinders. I have used White Post three times now and am a very satisfied customer. Turn around time is fast too. 

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

I sent my original set out to get sleeved in stainless steel.... & I had my friends Power Wagon sleeved in Bronze.  It has been 6 years with no issues.

Do you have any good machine shops out there?  There has to be someone who can sleeve your original wheel cylinders for you.  

On 4/22/2017 at 4:18 PM, RobertKB said:

I just had White Post do all  wheel cylinders and the master cylinder for my 1951 Dodge D39 business coupe. This was last December.  Wheel cylinders were $85 each and MC was $175. At first seems pricey but new  wheel cylinders were not cheap either and of unknown quality. The cylinders I sent had sat for years and even with compressed air I could not get them apart. They came back looking new. I know they are the same cylinders as I had marked them all. The price includes sleeving with brass and replacing all rubber and anything else they deem necessary to replace. They are ready to bolt on and use. I should never have to worry again about brake cylinders. I have used White Post three times now and am a very satisfied customer. Turn around time is fast too. 

White Post is a good Company.

Another great Company is:

http://www.karpspowerbrake.com