Dodge Demon Released!

ssnowden

I love seeing these new muscle cars!

Highest horsepower of any production car, highest G-Force of any production car, first wheelie-capable production car, fastest 0-60 and 1/4 mile of any production car. Banned by the NHRA.

Demon intro video

Demon web site

Interesting points from a Car and Driver blog post. 

First, the Demon has, essentially, air conditioning for its intake air. It superchills the intercooler’s coolant by as much as 45 degrees versus ambient conditions to help pack as many oxygen molecules into the intake charge as possible. Next, the transmission engages its own brake. A trans brake locks the transmission in both first and reverse gears simultaneously. This removes any chance the car will move off the line when hitting the throttle to reach launch rpm. Finally, the Demon’s two-stage ignition kicks in. Here, the engine cuts spark and fuel to half the cylinders but keeps all valves operating. This allows the 2.7-liter supercharger (up from 2.4 in the standard Hellcat) to keep its bypass valve closed and generate maximum boost (because a belt-driven supercharger’s boost is directly tied to engine rpm), without generating maximum power. Now the torque converter, an upgraded unit with a higher stall speed and 2:1 torque multiplication, keeps all the launch torque from eating the transmission’s innards. Flick either shift paddle, and the Demon launches. You’ll want to keep the car pointed straight.

Edited by ssnowden
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

FUN!!! 

Most likely banned by the NHRA do to the fact that it doesn't have a cage and can run in the 9's

Yes, I saw that was the reason in another article.

Impressive, but why? I suppose because they can and to show their engineering skills. So I guess that's fair. I wonder how long it would take Merle to drive to the BBQ? LOL 

If you suggesting he would be a speeder.......probably longer...by the time he got stopped all along the way...went through the lectures, the process of the background checks on his license, the acceptance of the written tickets....the possible detainment awaiting bail in some states....but of course you can get all that in about any road car today.....

8 hours ago, pflaming said:

Cannon Ball Run... :D

Merle no, a Wisconsin run to California wine country! 

•  

Maybe I'll have to talk Todd B into hooking up his semi and we can rewrite Smokey and the Bandit... 

Whatdya think Snowman?  Westbound and down? LOL!!!

• Like 1

I wonder what percentage of them will get totaled with less than 1000 miles? 10%? You know some are getting wrapped around a tree within sight of the dealer. :)

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Maybe I'll have to talk Todd B into hooking up his semi and we can rewrite Smokey and the Bandit... 

Whatdya think Snowman?  Westbound and down? LOL!!!

I'm in, only if we can put that motor in my semi.  The demo just went to the top of my "If I would win the lottery" list.  I have a feeling if I did own that car I would make the 10% not to live after a 1000 miles.  I have never driven anything except for a crotch rocket ( I backed off when I was at the top end of 3rd gear and my front tire was floating and I saw I was dong 130 MPH.)  that I haven't open completely up.

But what a way to go.   

• Like 1