oil Recommmendations

slingshot2u

I've used Shell Rotella 15w40 for years in my older vehicles, including my 41 Plymouth and 50 Plymouth with stock flatheads.  Always had good results, though recently I decided to try 15w40 "Classic Car Oil" made by D-A  Lubricants in Pa.  I tried it as it supposedly has less detergent additives. Haven't run it enough to see how it does long term.  Don't know how much better (if any) it is than the Shell, but it's priced comparably so I figured I'd try it. 

https://classiccarmotoroil.com/index.html

Edited by st63

• 2 weeks later...

Brad Penn oil.   Has e everything you need for the older flat tappett engines.   Also has a break in oil.   Very good stuff.   Can find on eBay,  Jeggs, Competion Products and other places as well.   Bit pricey.  But a great insurance on saving your engine.  

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2017 at 7:21 AM, slingshot2u said:

1951 plymouth cranbrook  218 flat head. Need advice on what is a good oil ? Zinc content is in question on some major brands as well as straight verses multi  grade?

I don't think you are the first to ask this question. Have you tried doing a forum search?

I used to do a LOT of engine work back in the 60's early 70's.  Our flaties were common in our shop then as well as Chev 6s and ford y-blocks.  Based on what I observed inside those, sludge, rocker arms absolutely covered, pan only held 3 qts of oil due to the buildup, etc, it's my opinion you just can't go wrong.  Any oil today is better than the best back when these engines were the normal transportation mode.

But, I would recommend at least add a good PCV system and bypass oil filter.  With those and today's oil, you'll be miles ahead of the best back then.   Ideally, install a full flow system but that's another story.

• Thanks 1