One Repair Begets another Saith the Lord.

48ply1stcar

Palm Sunday was the 49th Anniversary of my mother buying me a $75, 1948 Plymouth.

Last week I took the car for its first ride in five years.  Stiff steering and no horn.  I checked the fluid level in the steering box, nearly full, must grease the suspension.

Checked horn connection beneath steering box.  The wire was no longer attached to the horn ground plate in the steering wheel. 

Saturday after shopping with wife (another story) I removed horn button assembly and replaced last original wire in the car.  I had purchased two steering column floor boots over the years for when I got close to the finish.  So off comes the steering wheel.  Out comes the gear shift.  Now both need cleaning and paint.  Now let’s find the boots, I think there one boot is in a bin under a work bench behind a 6-foot table that is standing on the long edge in front of the work bench.  I often use the table as a work bench because both of my work benches are totally covered in stuff.  I begin table set-up, unfold legs, pick-up table, drop table, lose balance.  The table lands top-down legs extended upwards. I fall on the table extending my arms to catch myself.  Both hands land on the leg retaining clips, piercing both PALMS.  Three and a half hours in Urgent Care and seven stiches in my right palm.

So how was your weekend.

urgent care.jpg

Edited by 48ply1stcar
add picture

17 minutes ago, 48ply1stcar said:

Palm Sunday was the 49th Anniversary of my mother buying me a $75, 1948 Plymouth.

Last week I took the car for its first ride in five years.  Stiff steering and no horn.  I checked the fluid level in the steering box, nearly full, must grease the suspension.

Checked horn connection beneath steering box.  The wire was no longer attached to the horn ground plate in the steering wheel. 

Saturday after shopping with wife (another story) I removed horn button assembly and replaced last original wire in the car.  I had purchased two steering column floor boots over the years for when I got close to the finish.  So off comes the steering wheel.  Out comes the gear shift.  Now both need cleaning and paint.  Now let’s find the boots, I think there one boot is in a bin under a work bench behind a 6-foot table that is standing on the long edge in front of the work bench.  I often use the table as a work bench because both of my work benches are totally covered in stuff.  I begin table set-up, unfold legs, pick-up table, drop table, lose balance.  The table lands top-down legs extended upwards. I fall on the table extending my arms to catch myself.  Both hands land on the leg retaining clips, piercing both PALMS.  Three and a half hours in Urgent Care and seven stiches in my right palm.

So how was your weekend.

urgent care.jpg

Ouch! And Dang it!  It seems we all have mishaps now and then.  I am sorry that your fun adventure turned into a nightmare.  Hopefully you will have a good run of being accident free after you heal up from this.  

Less traumatic than yours. Probably because I opted out early due to stumbling and straining some muscles in my lower back,and something that give me sharp,shooting pains up to my shoulder. No way was I going to take a chance on making that any worse,so I sat in the house all weekend.

Doing better now,so I'm going to go out to the shop to try to install a couple of windows in my shop "office" so I can put a ac in one and let a little light in there,and to finish trimming along two walls so I can put up the cabinets I have been moving from one spot on the floor to another. The cabinets are the key. I bought 10 for 10 bucks each new at a sale,and once I put them up I can put a lot of crap in them that I am tripping over now. It's going to give me a LOT more room to move and work in.

Once I get all that crap done,I can move all the stuff away that is keeping me from having the room to get to my 31 Ply so I can put brakes on it. Stuff like the glass storm door for my shop "office" that will let more light in,the medicine cabinet for the bathroom,the lights for the medicine cabinet, the old Sun distributor and tune up machines on cabinets that I need to clean up and sell,etc,etc,etc.

Who knows what tools and parts I am going to find when I move all that stuff?

My weekend was spent up at Van Nuys.  I purchased parts for my 1938 Plymouth and found some extra carburetor's so I can get my multi carburetor set ups rolling along. After that, taxes, taxes, and more filing taxes......  I dread admin work!  LOL

3 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

Less traumatic than yours. Probably because I opted out early due to stumbling and straining some muscles in my lower back,and something that give me sharp,shooting pains up to my shoulder. No way was I going to take a chance on making that any worse,so I sat in the house all weekend.

Doing better now,so I'm going to go out to the shop to try to install a couple of windows in my shop "office" so I can put a ac in one and let a little light in there,and to finish trimming along two walls so I can put up the cabinets I have been moving from one spot on the floor to another. The cabinets are the key. I bought 10 for 10 bucks each new at a sale,and once I put them up I can put a lot of crap in them that I am tripping over now. It's going to give me a LOT more room to move and work in.

Once I get all that crap done,I can move all the stuff away that is keeping me from having the room to get to my 31 Ply so I can put brakes on it. Stuff like the glass storm door for my shop "office" that will let more light in,the medicine cabinet for the bathroom,the lights for the medicine cabinet, the old Sun distributor and tune up machines on cabinets that I need to clean up and sell,etc,etc,etc.

Who knows what tools and parts I am going to find when I move all that stuff?

Sorry about your back, I have a daily pain to live with from an injury I got while serving this awesome country.

And you are right!  I bought some shelves, and once I started putting parts away, I found stuff that I forget that I had!  It was like Christmas again!  LOL

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, classiccarjack said:

Sorry about your back, I have a daily pain to live with from an injury I got while serving this awesome country.

And you are right!  I bought some shelves, and once I started putting parts away, I found stuff that I forget that I had!  It was like Christmas again!  LOL

You were in the military,too? I was in the army for almost 7 years. Hurt my back first time on a parachute jump in 65.

Was going to make it a career,but came back from VN with a permanent physical profile in 69,and that was the end of my army career. By Nov of 70 I was a civilian again.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your mishap, I hope the wound heals quickly. I have to get busy myself and do a spring cleanup around my shop... Slips,trips and falls

So how was my weekend?  That almost sounds like a challenge that I'm happy to cede defeat to in this case.  Hope you heal up quick.  Most of my significant scarring is automotive related, now that I think of it...

Spring has finally sprung here in northern Maine.  Hit 50*, felt like 70* yesterday.  Today it's really up to 70, but there's snow in the forecast for the middle of the week (we'll have flurries through May), and I've still got a foot of snow in the yard (lots of shade), but it's receding fast. 

Spring means "mud season", so the ol D24 is still in the garage, tinkering with it to get back on the road first chance.  No driveway/pavement/gravel between the shop and our regular drive.  The ground has a peculiar consistency until it's thoroughly thawed.  Kinda like Jello.

44 minutes ago, Flatie46 said:

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate accident. I'm thinking the "shopping" threw  you off balance. Probably due to the uneven load in your billfold. :rolleyes:

THE ANSWER

I didn't ask what may have caused my issue, but I think Fattie46 has the answer.

10 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

You were in the military,too? I was in the army for almost 7 years. Hurt my back first time on a parachute jump in 65.

Was going to make it a career,but came back from VN with a permanent physical profile in 69,and that was the end of my army career. By Nov of 70 I was a civilian again.

I am a Desert Storm Veteran....

Thank you for your service. I never have claimed my injury.  Supporting 2 families makes it hard to make the time to deal with the long process of applying for any sort of much deserved disability through the VA.  Then I have my pride....  I am a grin and bare it type.  As I get older, it is getting harder to deal with.  OK, I am done crying, let's move on!  

• Like 1

I have to be careful now when cutting wood my feet seem to have a mind of there own get tangled easily. Last fall I fell about 10 feet when my ladder went sideways, hit my head and knocked myself out. My wife said I am getting too old to be climbing a ladder, I answered that it was stupidity not age. It just goes to show that at my age I still do stupid things just slower at it.

• Like 3

knuckleharley ,

It seems as we have yet more in common—I’m of the same generation as you, altho’ I’m a disabled Navy vet, and like you, my ambition for a Navy career was cut short by events beyond my control. So, I went with “Plan B” . . .  Regards.

On 4/11/2017 at 11:27 AM, DrDoctor said:

knuckleharley ,

It seems as we have yet more in common—I’m of the same generation as you, altho’ I’m a disabled Navy vet, and like you, my ambition for a Navy career was cut short by events beyond my control. So, I went with “Plan B” . . .  Regards.

Yup,and we all make plans,and then life happens and if we are lucky,we learn to roll with the punches and make new plans.

I am convinced  that the most important thing anyone can learn in order to be happy in life is to learn how to roll with the punches and then move on. That happens to everyone,regardless of intelligence,education,family connections,race,religion,or any other factor you can name. The one invariable that affects all of us is "Life Happens". The only thing under our control is how we deal with it after it happens.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

Agreed!!! I like to think that what doesn’t kill me just makes me stronger. The biggest ”zig” I made when I should’ve made a “zag” was my choice for a vocation. Being a doctor may sound impressive, but it’s what I did for a living, and NOT who I am. And, I spent 32 years at it, and had it not been for the fact that I had so much money and time invested to get there, I would’ve done something/almost anything else. Oh well, I’m finally retired, and now I don’t have to worry about it anymore. Like I said elsewhere just a moment ago—life is indeed good!!!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, classiccarjack said:

I am a Desert Storm Veteran....

Thank you for your service. I never have claimed my injury.  Supporting 2 families makes it hard to make the time to deal with the long process of applying for any sort of much deserved disability through the VA.  Then I have my pride....  I am a grin and bare it type.  As I get older, it is getting harder to deal with.  OK, I am done crying, let's move on!  

19 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

knuckleharley ,

Check out the thread in the OT forum asking whose a vet and what you did.  I go visit that thread every couple of months, good stories, good service.  Add yourselves if you haven't already.  Just needs to be brought to the top every once in a while. 

• Like 2

Dan,

Thanks, and no offence to you, or anyone else, for that matter, but I think I’m going to pass on that. I really don’t like to go into the details—I just speak in general terms about that life’s chapter for personal reasons. Regards . . .

• Like 2