engine swap or not???

bergy

Hello to all

heres my question? I got a 53   b3 truck ' It has the original 218 engine, I put a Cherokee 3 :55 rear. now I got offered  alow mileage 52 Desoto firepower hemi engine.and a 3 speed lasalle trans .. Now being a period correct motor- would I be devaluing  the value or making my truck more sought after ,for the upgrades and for a fun factor? . Its being pulled from my buddies 39 ford car he just bought.and it really runs sweet.thanks for the help.

Edited by bergy
spelling error

My opinion - do a decent job and your potiential customer base explodes. 

Value now depends greatly on condition it's in. Good average beat up driver  $1500 - $2000?

pretty nice truck, maybe $5000?

someone who wants a reasonably nice hemi powered pilot house - $5000?

someone step in and correct my guesstimates.

Edited by austinsailor

For the "purist" the engine swap would probably devalue the truck.

However, with my way of thinking and keeping it period correct, its pretty cool and would be worth more to me since it has period correct upgrades. That just gives it the hotrod flavor of the old days. On the other side of that coin, adding a non period correct engine such as a 318LA or newer or frame swapping for example, generally makes me not interested in the truck at all.

I am currently installing a 56-57 315 Hemi in my 55 along with a 54 Plymouth R10 OD transmission. So your plan is right up my alley! If you decide on going forward, post up plenty of pics! I would love to see the upgrade!

Edited by 59bisquik

I honestly believe the market is much bigger with modified vehicles, then pure bone stock.  You have to really love all the details and quirks and quarks of an original truck, and unless you fairly handy, sometimes bone stock can be difficult for some.  That all said Austin is right,..quality speaks louder then just an  engine dropped in that's larger then the old stock one, so making sure it is aesthetically as good and the engine itself plays a big part in value..I passed on a 50 with a 360/727 because the engine job was done so bad, body was ok...but worthless they way it was done

• Like 2