Whose Truck Got A Workout?

I could NOT get the small clips on the bottom of the valves so since my mechanic kindly loaned me his pneumatic spring compressor I loaded up the  engine and hauled it to his shop, when he couldn't either, he discovered he had sold me the wrong size clips.  Some times we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. 

IMG_1068.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've had that same Snappy box since 1968!

Snap On Box.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 4:34 PM, pflaming said:

I could NOT get the small clips on the bottom of the valves so since my mechanic kindly loaned me his pneumatic spring compressor I loaded up the  engine and hauled it to his shop, when he couldn't either, he discovered he had sold me the wrong size clips.  Some times we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. 

IMG_1068.JPG

I hate it when things like that happen. You think everything is all set then ... poof :( Did you get the new clips and get them installed.

Well sort of. When I returned to my shop I still could not get the keeper on one valve. Then I noticed that valve was higher than the others, so I took a picture and showed it to the machinist. He then noted that I had the intake and exhaust valves ass backwards. Pardon the French. All that accomplished, the head back on, all cylinders tested at 110#, +\- 5#. I started the engine yesterday, what a nice sound. 

All now is at rest, total knee replacement  surgery on the 5th, next Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, pflaming said:

All now is at rest, total knee replacement  surgery on the 5th, next Tuesday. 

If you have not had one let me give you a little advice.  Do exactly what the orthopedic surgeon says for recovery and, later, do exactly what the physical therapy people want you  to do.

If you don't do the exercises then you are only hurting yourself!  I've had both done (the last one July 5) and, while I cannot say it is a snap, they are doable.  

Last year I had a rotator cuff repair.  One more surgery and I get a toaster according to the ortho guy.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by lonejacklarry

• 3 weeks later...

97-mile round trip today to pick up the rebuilt front axle for my jeep.  drove nice the whole way, and only used just over half a tank of gas, and less than one quart of oil leaked out.  my gas mileage has been better recently, i must be doing enough longer trips at the right speed.  last tank was 8.5 mpg.

clearly, the truck was nearly overloaded.  really taxed those helper springs!!

P9220016.jpg

P9220012.jpg

P9220013.jpg

Edited by wallytoo
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Knee surgery was 7 weeks and counting. The knee has good ROM and is straight but will not tolerate much activity. Yesterday, a friend offered his truck and we hauled the engine and overdrive home from Bakersfield that I bought a month ago. Today I used my truck to haul it to a pressure steam cleaner, all are now at my shop.

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

• Like 2

21 hours ago, pflaming said:

Knee surgery was 7 weeks and counting. The knee has good ROM and is straight but will not tolerate much activity. 

I asked my surgeon about that on my first knee 5 years ago.  His answer was something like "the new knee is working just fine but it is attached to some really old stuff."

Makes sense, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, today i actually gave the truck a workout.  moved 1.5 cords of wood from my house 10 miles to the sap house.  rained a bit, so the wipers got a workout.  after dumping the wood, i needed to fuel up, so put in 14 gallons when i got to the station.  this worked out to 8.8 mpg (125 miles), so my mileage has been improving, even with a heavy load.

stopped to meet with a client on the way home, took the pics with the stonewall & fields there.  all told, put 46 miles on today.

IMG_0873.jpgIMG_0876.jpgIMG_0879.jpgIMG_0882.jpgIMG_0892.jpg

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, pflaming said:

Out getting parts today and saw this truck. 48/50 Ford I think.

IMG_1927.JPG

Maybe he has some extra paint to give ya when you finish the Suburban and give the truck to your daughter back east??  :D

DJ

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The pickup is a 1974 Dodge W350. Dually automatic transmission 360 V8 with a 4 10 rear end.  The pickup started out as a government vehicle in the Bessey National Forrest (the largest man made forrest in the United States) at Halsey NE, thus the green color.  From there it was purchased by an eccentric large 300 pound cowboy, known for riding horses fast and putting them up wet.  He maintained his vehicles the same way.  Some of the pickup's duties included chasing coyotes across the Nebraska sandhills and as a pusher vehicle at the local demolition derby.  It was sold on his Dad's estate sale to a farmer neighbor Clifford Sterner.  It was Clifford's first pickup with a bale unroller flatbed.  He is now on his third.  I purchased it 11/22/2005 for $3500.  I planned on using it to feed cattle and to use the hydraulics to make a power soil sampler.  I moved on to a different soil sampling system but kept the pickup around as a spare way to feed cattle when tractor is out of commission.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm test driving my truck, all is checking out. I installed a new temp gauge today and took a quick drive. Temp read 175 degrees so good. Tomorrow I have a lift scheduled and new shocks on the back, then a run up the mountain. Spring flowers. 

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

• Like 3