Whose Truck Got A Workout?

Paul is your electric fan turned on by a manual switch on controlled by automatic switch?

DJ

1 hour ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Kool, 

Thx, if I had known the reason for the flat tire (simply a loose tire valve - fixed within a minute or so) ,  I wouldn't have picked the Harley and wouldn't have taken the pictures,  hahaha

• 1 month later...

That truck is to nice for working!

Don't you own a beater chev. or ford for the dirty work?

Suppose you just wanted to get home without a tow truck!  ;)

DJ

2 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Needed to pick up some drywall sheets and insulation, for a bathroom remodel project, and the daily driver pickup was full of work stuff. So the Ol' Dodge got to work today...

IMG_5095.JPG.137ea635fca3a42539c5825e9516eedc.JPG

What are you building ?

On 4/13/2017 at 10:02 PM, Geekay said:

Well done Spitfire. I used to love being able to bring "valuable" stuff back from the dump, but here even in country oz (my town population about 40,000) , we are all about serious recycling so we do not have "dumps" we have "Recycle Centres". We have to sort the junk and not allowed to bring anything home. If I hook up the trailer I have to divide the "rubbish" up between metals, wood, green waste, glass, paper/cardboard, old electrical things (TVs computers), engine oils, batteries, etc etc. Most recyclable items are free but if I take a car tyre it is AUD $25 (US $20).

Every type has its own bin and when it is full, the bin is taken away to the specific recycler. 

Sounds complex but after a while it is easy and saves us just filling holes in the ground with any old crap and probably adding to the methane gases and polluting ground water.

You'd be surprised how much of that "recycled" material still goes in the ground.

• 1 month later...

I put mine to work yesterday taking the doodle bug to a tractor show. With the trailer, I was pulling somewhere north of 4,000 lbs (probably closer to 4,500)  It was in the upper 80's and even with the load it ran about 185F which is pretty darn good I think. I ran 55 mph highways doing around 50 mph with it. It did great. People really were snapping their heads around to look! 

I also added a period correct Kelsey Hayes electric brake controller to the truck for added safety. It look like it belongs in the cab, and it helps get the truck stopped. Taking off, it is a little slow going, but once you are to speed it is easy to maintain even going up over passes. You really need to run the engine up with my three speed to compensate for the large RPM drop from 2-3. It's not excessive but if you don't you struggle in the lower RPM ranges. Keep in mind I have a 3.54 rear end too. 

On my way home I had my wife take a video of me as I turned the corner by our house. 

1.jpg

Edited by 52b3b Joe
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, 52b3b Joe said:

I put mine to work yesterday taking the doodle bug to a tractor show. With the trailer, I was pulling somewhere north of 4,000 lbs (probably closer to 4,500)  It was in the upper 80's and even with the load it ran about 185F which is pretty darn good I think. I ran 55 mph highways doing around 50 mph with it. It did great. People really were snapping their heads around to look! 

I also added a period correct Kelsey Hayes electric brake controller to the truck for added safety. It look like it belongs in the cab, and it helps get the truck stopped. Taking off, it is a little slow going, but once you are to speed it is easy to maintain even going up over passes. You really need to run the engine up with my three speed to compensate for the large RPM drop from 2-3. It's not excessive but if you don't you struggle in the lower RPM ranges. Keep in mind I have a 3.54 rear end too. 

On my way home I had my wife take a video of me as I turned the corner by our house. 

VERY COOL!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Drove to dinner Friday night. In the truck with me, our daughter, the next owner, and our son in law. 32 mile round trip in 100 degree heat. Temp gauge showed 190 degrees and held.

IMG_1008.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

I spent a few hours weeding our families grave sites. It wasn't much of a workout for my truck but it was a pretty good one for me. 6 Months ago today on friday February 17th which strangely enough was also the 15th "anniversary" of my Dads passing, I suffered what the Drs called a "massive saddle pulmonary embolism". I didnt know what happened, all I knew is I coughed hard and from that moment on I couldnt take two steps without having to fight to breathe. I thought I had strained something in my chest and that it would pass but on Monday it still wasnt any better so my wife made a appt (behind my back ) hahaha for me to see my Dr. the next day and thats when I found out what had happened and I was taken my ambulance to the hospital in Tucson where I was a guest of theirs for a week..Six Drs have told me that with as massive as it was I should have died the second it happened and that "I still had work to do here" and or  "God wasn't done with me yet" .Man was I scared,no make that terrified.  Now here it is 6 months to the day later and Im doing really really good. Actually within a week of "the event" as my Dr calls it I was doing and feeling pretty darned good. Well except for the Lovenox shots I had to give myself 2x a day in the belly for a few weeks but even that was no big deal I was and am just so happy to be alive. A week ago my Cardiologist told me that the damage to my heart and lungs that he had seen months ago was completely gone and that I was free to do as much as my body will allow, and to listen to what my body is telling me. Then he gave me the ok to stop taking the Coumadin YAYYYYYY !  The only effects I still experience is that some days I feel so tired , a bit dizzy at times and knackered from the get go that about all I can do is rest and lay down. The Dr said thats 100% normal and that is can take from 6 months to a year or two to go away. He said its because of the trauma that my heart and lungs went thru and now my body is spending and using a LOT of energy to heal. Most days I feel pretty darned good.  After I got out of the hospital I promised myself that I wasnt going to let "the small stuff irritate me anymore" and that I wasnt going to put of doing things that Ive been wanting to do but always seemed to get pushed aside... like working on my truck. So about 5 1/2 months ago I started doing the bodywork on it one panel at a time. I am or was a bodyman by trade for over 30 yrs so getting past the notion that I had to get it all done at once has been a bit strange. All those years of working on commission and meeting dead lines was kind of a hard habit to break at first but its a lot more fun to take it slow and do one panel at a time. I dont want it to be a chore, I want to enjoy it :) Anyway I started off by doing little things like restoring a Model 36 heater that I want to install in my truck and also a few dash parts that I believe are for I believe are for a 52 that I cant use but were in really nice shape what with being from the Az desert and all . Just small stuff at first to keep busy. As of late I have done both front fenders, the roof panel, the hood assembly and replaced the left front stake pocket. Along with doing the bodywork I've been stripping each panel because there was a LOT of paint on it . Ive been taking lots of pictures as I go along so I can look back at how it was when its all done.  Sorry for the overly long and babbling post. Its a really huge and kind of emotional day for me what with it being 6 months and now Im off all the meds and everything . So very thankful . By the way, about the not whole not let the small stuff irritate me part.... easier said than done. I still get POd at some really stupid insignificant things at times but Im still trying hahaha. Its a work in progress. Again please forgive me for the long winded post.

John 

IMG_20170816_112330617_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

You have been blessed with more important work to do, but take it easy and Enjoy life!

DJ

John, your kind of post is never too long, TKS for sharing. There are a number of us who are in the age of sudden change. Until recently I pushed to get my truck done then the suburban until my knee went out, surgery the 5th, today I do what the body allows me to. Today I discovered I put two valves in wrong thus no compression on that cylinder, which means my memory and working habits are waning, but hopefully there is tommorrow. 

John,

So that's your story. Glad to hear you're getting along better. I hear you about not letting the little things get to us being had to do. It seems the older we get the shorter our patience gets.