I'm going to contact these fellas.

casper50

You can count me as interested in hearing how they come out and the prices.

2 minutes ago, casper50 said:

Called Weisbrod Model and Machine the place that was doing the actual molding.  Left a message.  We'll see if I get a return call.

Thank you for hanging in there and following up.

There's a DeSoto Suburban at the Gilmore Car Museum that has a good-looking still treatment.  It looks like a deep pattern mat that was cut and beveled to size. The cross section does have that high flat spot in line with the windlacing.  Would that we could find a source for such a sill by the foot.  Cut to fit any model.  

58ebbc6875cd3_47DeSotoSuburbangilmore11.jpg.9f0c99cda49dd5b8a9d3f96df3de5e42.jpg

58ebbc8a7e778_47DeSotoSuburbangilmore12.jpg.363d9055820fe922b731f07a35a47e01.jpg

Jeff of Weisbrod Model an Machine phoned me back.  He still has the molds.  They are for the chrysler but I'm pretty sure that the Dodge would be the same.  He asked me to do a tracing of my one good sill rubber and he'd compare it with his mold.  The bad news is he thinks that they were charging $450 a set when they were selling them.  This does include the metal backing and studs where the ones from Plymouth Doctor and others do not include any metal.  He's going to give me a solid price when he compares my tracing to the molds.

If my car looked as good as yours does now...............I believe I would save my pennies and get a set, now is not the time to go cheap [not an insult, good god not an insult] that is a high wear traffic area and needs something very durable and good looking to round off your interior. Or weld the holes shut and put down a very high build of bed liner?

• Like 1

If several got together and placed a big order at once do you think the price would drop? I saw a post some time back where a forum member ( I forget who ) had made his own and they turned out pretty darn nice. Kinda the route I was thinking.

I have the new contact number for the owner of the molds now.  For ones that have the metal backing vulcanized on and powdercoated I'd be willing to go to $400 for a set.  As it will cost that for the metal and coating to make my own set of backings.   I'll contact him but would like to know if anyone else would be interested at that price?  Since the mold is just setting there for years now who knows how low he will go?  Let me know.

2 hours ago, casper50 said:

I have the new contact number for the owner of the molds now.  For ones that have the metal backing vulcanized on and powdercoated I'd be willing to go to $400 for a set.  As it will cost that for the metal and coating to make my own set of backings.   I'll contact him but would like to know if anyone else would be interested at that price?  Since the mold is just setting there for years now who knows how low he will go?  Let me know.

I'd be up for a set for a 42 Dodge business coupe

I couldn’t help notice all of the conversation pertaining to the rubber door sill material. Our car, a ’46 Plymouth Special DeLuxe club coupe, doesn’t have those. Rather, it has formed aluminum—turned edges, ribbed under the door, tapered to fit the openings perfectly. Was this an option? Or, do you think it was custom built when restored?

1 hour ago, DrDoctor said:

I couldn’t help notice all of the conversation pertaining to the rubber door sill material. Our car, a ’46 Plymouth Special DeLuxe club coupe, doesn’t have those. Rather, it has formed aluminum—turned edges, ribbed under the door, tapered to fit the openings perfectly. Was this an option? Or, do you think it was custom built when restored?

Good question. There is not enough metal left in that area on my 42 Dodge coupe to tell if it ever had them or not.

Anyone know for a fact if 42 Dodge business coupes came with them when new?

Unfortunately it is the cost of doing business....the ole pay to play comes into to mix in Diamonds...the market is not huge for these and given the  cost of making and storing for years the quantity to make/cast these affordable does not yield the return in the timely manner to make it worth the man's time and out of pocket.  Sad part is these molds are it seems held by the DIY and not a major re-popper.  If a major company had these...cost, turn around and such would be a tad more in line.  And given some companies go for the gouge from the get go..cost may not be the saving grace...the availability could be however.  For the authentic look, you at their mercy and they pretty much know it...

Latest on the sills.  I have been able to get ahold of Dennis.  He is going to send me a 35 page catalog of all of the parts that he reproduces for the 42-48 Dodge, Desoto and Chryslers.  He didn't have time to speak about the price of the sills.  I'll try him again later.

8 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Unfortunately it is the cost of doing business....the ole pay to play comes into to mix in Diamonds...the market is not huge for these and given the  cost of making and storing for years the quantity to make/cast these affordable does not yield the return in the timely manner to make it worth the man's time and out of pocket.  Sad part is these molds are it seems held by the DIY and not a major re-popper.  If a major company had these...cost, turn around and such would be a tad more in line.  And given some companies go for the gouge from the get go..cost may not be the saving grace...the availability could be however.  For the authentic look, you at their mercy and they pretty much know it...

And to be fair,450 bucks ain't what it used to be. People on minimum wage earn more than that  in a week these days,and it costs almost 10 bucks to eat a meal at most fast food restaurants.