Front driver signal marker comes on with brakes

52cranbrook4

Ok so I rewired my lighting system in my 1952 plymouth cranbrook. It came with factory turn signals but the steering wheel switch was broken. I ordered a new one and put it in. Ran all new wiring from front to back for lighting. Everything works perfect except when I press my brakes my front driver side signal marker comes on. I thought maybe it was a bad wire so that's why I redid all the lighting wires... anybody experience this before or may have a solution? My only thought is the actual switch that the wires go into is bad... what I replaced was the metal ring that the lever screws into... thanks again in advance 

Edited by 52cranbrook4

I have had unexplained things happen due to a bad ground.  Once I installed a switch and somehow pinched a wire which has caused a similar result.  

Does it work fine if you unmount and pull the switch up out of place?  I hope that your switch isn't defective....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

I have had unexplained things happen due to a bad ground.  Once I installed a switch and somehow pinched a wire which has caused a similar result.  

Does it work fine if you unmount and pull the switch up out of place?  I hope that your switch isn't defective....

I'm starting to think I wired the actual switch backwards. Meaning front driver wired to rear driver and vice-versa...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 52cranbrook4 said:

I'm starting to think I wired the actual switch backwards. Meaning front driver wired to rear driver and vice-versa...

I hope that your solution is correcting a simple mistake like this.  Please let us know your findings.

23 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

I hope that your solution is correcting a simple mistake like this.  Please let us know your findings.

Sooo.... after about an hour and a half of checking all the wiring I broke down and took apart the wiring from the switch.... and yep I messed up. When color coding from the book I put one brown where a green should have been. And now she is good as new. Check brake and turn signals off the list! 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 52cranbrook4 said:

Sooo.... after about an hour and a half of checking all the wiring I broke down and took apart the wiring from the switch.... and yep I messed up. When color coding from the book I put one brown where a green should have been. And now she is good as new. Check brake and turn signals off the list! 

Yay!  I bet you are sleeping good tonight!  What a relief.:)

• Like 1