52 b3d "Little Blue Truck"

If anyone had a lighter in their truck when they bought it would it be possible to get some dimensions as to where it is placed? Or do I just center it both in vertical and horizontal directions?

also I only see one wire coming off of it, does it ground through the body?

Edited by jpartington

5 minutes ago, jpartington said:

Yes I know that it goes there just wanted to put it exactly where it should go dimensionally but maybe it should just be centered in the lower half of the chrome plate

Oh.....sorry

A close approximation is to draw a horizontal line between the dash plate mounting holes, then measure vertically from that line to the inside edge of the raised border, divide that dimension in half to find the vertical dimension for the lighter center point...set the lighter lip on the plate and trace with a pencil, that will give you a close representation of how it will look.  To cut the hole, drill a 1/16" pilot hole, then gradually drill larger holes so as not to damage the plate.  Deburr the hole with a round file or slow rpm rasp bit...that can get you close enough to help ya sleep at night...and if anybody gives ya static cuz that lighter is in the wrong location, let me know and I'll extend an invitation for the offended critic to come over to my place where we can have a "discussion" behind the barn (they'll have to pack their own lunch) :cool:

• Haha 2

On May 5, 2018 at 6:31 AM, jpartington said:

If anyone had a lighter in their truck when they bought it would it be possible to get some dimensions as to where it is placed? Or do I just center it both in vertical and horizontal directions?

also I only see one wire coming off of it, does it ground through the body?

May or May not help

image.jpg.ad8ac461750b2c7ca3da416bb1be0fdb.jpg

measurement from outer "rib" and from bottom up

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I don't think there was, at least on mine from what I remember, but mine wasn't the fancy metal version, my version was made out of cardboard (maybe acted like a seal?).

Also changing direction for a bit here. How can I positively identify my transmission? I have a PTO on mine. By the looks of the diagram I have, it says that the drain hole plug goes in at a 30 degree angle to bottom of case (which is what mine looks like) and that would make it a 4 speed spur gear transmission (by the way my transmission is definitely a 4 speed).

if this is indeed what I have, would this be stock for my truck? Or was this a factory option?

The 4 speed trans was an option for your truck, but fairly common on the 1 ton's from what I've seen. However, by '52 I thought they had switched over the the synchronized 4 speed. I know I have a synchro 4 speed out of a B-3-C, but can't use it in my truck unless I can find a Fluid Drive input shaft for it.

5 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

The 4 speed trans was an option for your truck, but fairly common on the 1 ton's from what I've seen. However, by '52 I thought they had switched over the the synchronized 4 speed. I know I have a synchro 4 speed out of a B-3-C, but can't use it in my truck unless I can find a Fluid Drive input shaft for it.

Merle - not to hijack the thread, but a couple years back I bought a disassembled R10 form a member that was to be converted for use in a fluid drive car but the car was sold before the swap was made - I believe both the "long (Fluid Drive?)" and "short" shafts came with it.  I don't need the fluid Drive part....

Anybody know what the correct hand brake for this transmission would be? I think with the standard transmission I would need the pull handle under the dash. But mine has the lever on the floor, and the tranny cover plate is hacked up to make room for the lever and a larger shifter.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, jpartington said:

Any knowledge about the correct handbrake for my transmission?

That depends on the year (I don't recall what year your truck is). Earlier trucks had the brake on the floor, later trucks had the handle under the dash. I can look up the year of the switch when I get home, but 1950 sticks in my mind for the first year of the under dash hand brake.

Yes, B1's have the park brake lever coming up through the floor. For the B2's, they switched to the under-dash pull handle. The cable attaches just outside the firewall and loops down past the manifolds, is clamped to the frame along side the engine, and connects through the flywheel pan to the park brake linkage. Here are a few pics of mine. You're B3D should be similar.

P1161569.JPG

P1161572.JPG

P1161575.JPG

1 hour ago, HotRodTractor said:

That depends on the year (I don't recall what year your truck is). Earlier trucks had the brake on the floor, later trucks had the handle under the dash. I can look up the year of the switch when I get home, but 1950 sticks in my mind for the first year of the under dash hand brake.

Well now I feel dumb. Your thread title clear tells me you have a B3D..... parking brake should be under the dash as per Merle in the post above.

Looking back through this thread I see one photo that shows the park brake handle under the dash. but in other pictures there appears to be a park brake lever coming up through the floor. It's quite possible that someone swapped out the trans to an earlier model and used the park brake arrangement from the earlier version.