52 b3d "Little Blue Truck"

1 hour ago, jpartington said:

Getting a little far off topic  let's come back. On the govener subject, is there any reason why I could not get rid of it?

Short answer, none.

New gaskets, shorter studs and linkage length adjust as required.

As you are most likely the owner and driver just do not drive it like you stole it!  :D

DJ

On 6/30/2017 at 1:08 PM, jpartington said:

Does anyone have any information on the linkage I circled in the picture? Davin showed me a picture of one and mine looks a bit longer. And it is brass, so I'm thinking it is not correct. Maybe some possible measurments, length diameter, etc. so I can produce my own while I hunt for a stock one. Unless someone on here happens to have a spare ;) 

IMG_5831.JPG

Here  is a stock throttle linkage setup with the governor on my 2-1/2 tonner...... length is 5-1/2" center to center of the linkage rod as shown in the picture and .184" diameter rod....as I promished!

B3JA Truck Under Hood (4).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

So as of now I am planning on removing it then, is there anything else I will have to change besides the things already mentioned? Like play around with adjustment screws? Also thank you for the picture/measurement dodgeb4ya, I failed to mention that Davin beat you to it, he sent me the measurement in an email, and also found a spare linkage, so I'm getting that from him. Thanks again Davin. My truck currently has pretty poor throttle response and falls on it's face a bit if you give it too much throttle to quickly, could this be related to the governor, or does this just mean carb adjustments are needed? Or is it just because it's old?

Have you removed the carb and seen if there is a throttle plate in the governor? If not don't bother removing the governor.

Carb , ignition and good compression are what makes the engine run like a top.

• 2 weeks later...

Well aparently I decided I needed a drone lol :) so there is a bit of a hold on buying any new parts. However I did manage to get the heater all blasted and ready for paint. Also powder coated a few of the internal parts. I found a color that I think is pretty darn close so I'm going with it. Hopefully will have that done soon, then get some pictures up. As for the heater core, would it be worth it to bring it to a radiator shop and have them go through it before I put the heater in the truck?

14 hours ago, Reg Evans said:

They were made out of card board.  You could make one and then paint it with resin.

yes.....and no.  I had a cardboard one that I used as a template, but I also ran across one that was metal.  Can't remember if I still have it or not.

3 hours ago, jpartington said:

I check eBay everyday  so hopefully I catch one when it comes up. Or if Mark has one I don't need to watch for one :) 

I'll look tonight.

On 6/30/2017 at 2:46 PM, HotRodTractor said:

One thing to note - your truck has an air throttled governor installed under the carb - so that will effect the length of the arm you have circled and would require the piece to be longer than the typical application by the thickness of the air governor.

Personally.... I would remove the governor and that would put you back to using a stock piece (that is missing). But I also like to live life dangerously. My only experience with those governors is I have a set currently under the dual carb setup I have.... someone before me has removed the butterfly plates so they obviously didn't care for them either..... lol

Okay not to hijack but I have a governor on my truck....thought it had something to do with exahust bypass at idle, it is not hooked up in my truck, do I need to do anything., it seams like some exahust leaks out. 

1 hour ago, JaysonK said:

Okay not to hijack but I have a governor on my truck....thought it had something to do with exahust bypass at idle, it is not hooked up in my truck, do I need to do anything., it seams like some exahust leaks out. 

So you mean you don't have a vacuum line hooked up to it?

In any case... exhaust can't leak out of the intake.... so you have other issues in that area if you have exhaust coming out. Perhaps the manifold heat valve is leaking - its right there at the interface of the intake and exhaust manifolds.

2 hours ago, jpartington said:

Hey Mark did you come up with anything?

I'll look today.  I had friends in from Germany this weekend and was busy with them.