52 b3d "Little Blue Truck"

4 hours ago, jpartington said:

If I want to powder coat the horn, what is under the cap at the top of the picture? I just don't want to take it apart and have parts fly out. Or just go ahead and powder coat it and have there be plastic parts in there that can melt when I cook it...

You can pull the horn apart and nothing will fly out. There is a metal vibrating plate mounted between the electrics/magnet backing plate and the horn 'trumpet'. You will be able to powder coat the 'trumpet', but I would be reluctant to heat up the rear backing plate which houses the coiled wire, electrical points, and magnet.

You should find that you will need to make up new round paper gaskets which fit on either side of the vibrating plate as the old paper ones become brittle over the years - they are required in order for the horn to work. 

I am working on restoring another set of dual horns for my 53 truck at present, but they will be painted in 2-pak gloss black like the ones which are fitted to my 52 truck. I have attached photos of horn insides and outs for you...

Horn insides.JPG

Horn 5.JPG

Dual horns.JPG

• Like 2

Inside that horn cover are the contacts and electro-magnet for the buzzer part of the horn. I don't believe baking it, as is, would be a good idea, and I don't know how much you can take apart so that it can be baked safely. I would recommend just sanding it down and painting it instead of powder coating it.

Oops... Didn't see Davin's post before posting this, but as you can see it wouldn't be wise to powder coat the end cap, so I stick by my recommendation for paint only.

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

16 hours ago, Desotodav said:

You can pull the horn apart and nothing will fly out. There is a metal vibrating plate mounted between the electrics/magnet backing plate and the horn 'trumpet'. You will be able to powder coat the 'trumpet', but I would be reluctant to heat up the rear backing plate which houses the coiled wire, electrical points, and magnet.

You should find that you will need to make up new round paper gaskets which fit on either side of the vibrating plate as the old paper ones become brittle over the years - they are required in order for the horn to work. 

I am working on restoring another set of dual horns for my 53 truck at present, but they will be painted in 2-pak gloss black like the ones which are fitted to my 52 truck. I have attached photos of horn insides and outs for you...

Horn insides.JPG

Horn 5.JPG

Dual horns.JPG

Hi Dave, how thick should those paper gaskets be? Thanks

4 hours ago, Mike36 said:

Hi Dave, how thick should those paper gaskets be? Thanks

I used grey gasket paper. They are probably just a little thicker than a normal sheet of white paper. The gasket/s are used on either side to stop the vibrating plate from earthing out on the horn 'trumpet' and the backing plate.

Next thing, I posted awhile back about having battery issues and never really got to the bottom of it. So I will start working on that again. I pulled the battery out of the truck and let it charge overnight on the trickle charger. It shut off the next day so it should of been fully charged. I put a meter on it and it showed 6.17v it dropped to 6.15v and has been staying there for the last 3 days. Is this the voltage a fully charged 6v battery should show? Or should it show more?

3 minutes ago, jpartington said:

Next thing is to see if I can get my hands on a load tester then. Thank you

$15-20 at a Harbor Freight for what it's worth to you in your area?

Take the battery to a local parts place and get a free test??  Many chain stores do this for Free.

DJ

• Like 1

I got the new stickers for the air cleaner and crankcase breather. They look nice but I'm unsure about the air cleaner one. It's an oval shape, but the remnants of the sticker that remains on my cleaner is a curved shape as shown in the picture. Is the curved one what's actually supposed to be on there? And does anyone know if these are reproduced?

IMG_5716.JPG

Edited by jpartington

• 2 weeks later...

The tab on the vibrating horn plate goes to the back of the points set - see first attached photo.

The small flat mounting plates go on the outside of the curved mounting plates. There should have been small round spacers between those curved mounting plates (where the plates attach to the bolts in the horn) as well. It was a bit hard to see in my dual horn photos, so I have attached a photo of a dual horn set which should make it easier to see... and have attached a copy of my dual horns which show the spacers near the relay - the single horn mounting setup is the same as the duals.

I have been working on putting together a 12v dual pair for my 53 coupe truck, so I have a couple of single horns here if you need more photos.

Horn contact.JPG

1950 Dodge twin horns.jpg

Dual horn spacers.jpg

Thank you for that. I've got It back together now but still not installed I decided I want to paint the mounting bracket black as well so once I get that done I will reinstall the horn and add some pictures.

Edited by jpartington

Never mind I couldn't help myself lol :)

Upon closer look I seen that the mounting bracket is actually color matched to the cab, so I decided not to paint it black. I also sent in for my build card so I'm looking forward to getting that.

IMG_5816.JPG

• Like 2