Engine and trany swap

51Meadowbrook

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, Don Coatney said:

Yes a 4 bolt flywheel will work on an 8 bolt crankshaft. I am running such a combination in my P-15. The problem is the fluid drive coupling requires the 8 bolt crankshaft and if you bolt up a fluid drive 8 bolt coupling to a 4 hole crankshaft the bolts will shear and it will fail.

Same here. My understanding is that the 230 cranks are 8-bolt and the 218 cranks 4 bolt, except for the 1941 218 crank which is also 8-bolt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John-T-53 said:

Same here. My understanding is that the 230 cranks are 8-bolt and the 218 cranks 4 bolt, except for the 1941 218 crank which is also 8-bolt.

my pilot house truck engine is a 218 with 8 bolt

Wayfarer..........lol.........you know what I mean............lol..........heres a pic of the exhaust manifolds that I used to make a split manifold setup, these were the # 1 and # 2 versions that I referred to previously..........haven't got a pic of the manifold with the # 7 cylinder outlet........andyd   

IMG_1387.JPG

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Wayfarer..........lol.........you know what I mean............lol..........heres a pic of the exhaust manifolds that I used to make a split manifold setup, these were the # 1 and # 2 versions that I referred to previously..........haven't got a pic of the manifold with the # 7 cylinder outlet........andyd   

IMG_1387.JPG

That's ugly! You should give it to me before you embarrass yourself.

BTW,what cars/trucks is that fuel pump listed to fit? Seems like most I have seen had a sediment bowl attached that gets in the way of pretty much everything.

Edited by knuckleharley

18 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

That's ugly! You should give it to me before you embarrass yourself.

BTW,what cars/trucks is that fuel pump listed to fit? Seems like most I have seen had a sediment bowl attached that gets in the way of pretty much everything.

I think 51-52 plymouths used that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I think 51-52 plymouths used that.

Thanks,Ed.

Not sure what the fuel pump was listed for but found it at a local swap meet.........ended up selling the engine before the rebuild, the exhaust manifolds were welded up by a local blacksmith, beautiful job, one of the few old car benefits of living in the Oz country.............lol............andyd 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:27 PM, John-T-53 said:

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:29 PM, Young Ed said:

my pilot house truck engine is a 218 with 8 bolt

Some of the later trucks also used a 6-bolt crank/flywheel, same pattern of course, not the post-62 version.

I thought the 230s were all 8 bolt, and 218s were 4 bolt.  I have a 218 w 8 bolts from a hydrive application. I found a resource for determining these by casting or forging number - follow this link: 

http://www.enginepartswarehouse.com/enginecatalog/CHRYSLER-DODGE.PDF

See pages 14 & 16

Edited by Dartgame
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...