Steering box rebuild manual

48ply1stcar

I’m just speculating here, but if you’re looking for a book about the steering box, I’m not sure such a book exists. If, however, you’re looking for information about how to work on a  manual/non-power steering box, than the best bet for that would be the service manual (either an original, or a reprint . . .) for your particular car. And, if neither of these scenarios isn’t what you’re requesting, I’m afraid I can’t help you . . . Sorry.

YES, that's it.  Thank you Mr. Plymouthy.

After sitting 5 years the old car seems a little hard to steer.  Of course I'm also five years older and weaker.

Hopefully, I just need a little fluid or some adjustment.  I just want to drive it a little bit again this summer and finish the interior this year.

Question:  The horn didn't work so as I checked the wire I noticed that it seemed to be detached from the horn button.  So I'll start at the horn button and see it that leads to replacing the boot on the floor and the windlacing.  Oh damn, out comes the dash.

Interesting read, Tim.

2 comments. 

1. I'm surprised they suggest cleaning with gasoline. Good way to blow you self and your shop up. You'd think this is so obvious that it doesn't need mentioning, but it's right there in print, and I see people doing it. I've also seen a garage burned down that way. 

2. I'm not sure what year it changed, but on older boxes, like my 1940 Dodge, and 36 Desoto that screw only holds down the roller (sector). It doesn't have that plate with the stud shown so that the screw will raise it. The scew only pushes down. To remove play you have to pull the sector out and remove shims under it. Many people think all boxes are adjusted by turning the screw one way or the other. True on newer ones, including pilot house, not true on older boxes.

On the really old stuff that seals can no longer be found, I have packed the boxes with Corn Head Grease from John Deere with excellent success.  Even after 15 years of driving, the first vehicle I did this to is still steering well.

Screenshot_20170409-204107.png

This Corn Head Grease liquefies into gear oil while in use, then returns back into grease while at rest.  Super awesome product!

16 minutes ago, 48ply1stcar said:

Thanks for the information.  Amazingly my steering box was nearly full after five years of sitting and twenty years after getting it back on the road.

Wow!  You got lucky!  I wonder if our high temperature's out here have anything to do with these steering boxes losing their seal and leaking out the lubricant...