46-48 Chrysler questions

CJwindsor

Ok so I have a few questions. I've never owned, dealt, etc. anything mopar. My wife and I have acquired her great grandparents 46-48 Chrysler Windsor Club coupe, 5 window, 2 door. I'm not sure how to tell the year, just been judging from google images. The car has the spitfire flathead six with fluid drive. The car has been sitting for 50+ years. Floor boards are gone along with rust in other places. We've pretty much decided that it's more project than we want but I don't know if it's a car that there's a market for, or if there's any money in parting it out, or just haul it to the scrap yard. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Clayton. 

IMG_2297.JPG

IMG_2303.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2300.JPG

IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2294.JPG

IMG_2302.JPG

Edited by CJwindsor
Adding pictures
  • Like 1

What part of North Carolina are you in? The reason I ask is if your close to Charlotte they are having the Autofair this weekend (huge swap meet, cars for sale) you might put it on a trailer and sell it there. I understand if the car is too much project for you. As an automotive enthusiast I really hate to see someone take an old car to a scrap yard. The car may be just the project someone has been looking for or maybe a great parts car that helps several others In the hobby.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, casper50 said:

need some photos to tell condition.  anything can be brought back with enough money.  Sometimes cars look worse than they are.  Photos will help us help you.

I'm using my phone. And the photos I have are apparently too big, I will see if I can change the size on the computer. 

6 minutes ago, Flatie46 said:

What part of North Carolina are you in? The reason I ask is if your close to Charlotte they are having the Autofair this weekend (huge swap meet, cars for sale) you might put it on a trailer and sell it there. I understand if the car is too much project for you. As an automotive enthusiast I really hate to see someone take an old car to a scrap yard. The car may be just the project someone has been looking for or maybe a great parts car that helps several others In the hobby.

I love cars too, more of a funding and time issue. And I agree it could be what someone wants or needs for parts. I don't want to scrap it either, just said that as an example bc I have no idea of the cars worth/potential. I'd go to the auto fair with it if I had the means to get it there, had to borrow a truck trailer just to get it home.

The most money can be made by parting it out. Which would mean you might end up spending the next couple of years removing parts to sell to people in other states,and you end up selling the car for 25 to 100 bucks at a time and the money just disappears a LOT quicker than the car does. I don't get a sense of you wanting to do all that,or even having the tools to do all that.

Haul it to a scrap yard and you MIGHT get $180 for it. Last I heard a month or so ago scrap cars are bringing around $4.50 per hundred lbs of weight here. If you have to rent a trailer to haul it to the scrap yard,you might clear 75-100 bucks,and that's not much money for all the time and work.

Put it up for sale on places like this site,your local Craig's List,and on ebay,and I'd be shocked if you didn't get at least 750 bucks out of it within a week. Maybe/Probably even more if you can get a clean NC title for it in your name that has numbers that match the numbers on the car. A clean title in your name that you can sign that has numbers that match the ones on the car can bring an additional 500 bucks when you sell it to someone who wants to put it back on the road. If nothing else it practically guarantees you will sell the car if the asking price is reasonable. Put it on ebay and let the market set the price,

My suggestion is to get a clear title,clean all the trash and crap out of the car so potential buyers can get a good look at it,get a friend that knows something about mechanicals to see if he can get the engine unstuck and spinning freely,and THEN take the photos and put it up for sale. If you have any spare parts that go with the car,display them on a plastic tarp or blanket on the ground so they can be seen in the photo.

I don't particularly want the car because I already have more project cars than I have time left to live,but I live in eastern NC,and if you decide you want to just get rid of it by scraping it,let me know and I will pay you 50 bucks more than the scrap guy and come and get it. Maybe I can find someone that will want to buy it. I HATE the idea of restorable cars going to the crusher.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

The most money can be made by parting it out. Which would mean you might end up spending the next couple of years removing parts to sell to people in other states,and you end up selling the car for 25 to 100 bucks at a time and the money just disappears a LOT quicker than the car does. I don't get a sense of you wanting to do all that,or even having the tools to do all that.

Haul it to a scrap yard and you MIGHT get $180 for it. Last I heard a month or so ago scrap cars are bringing around $4.50 per hundred lbs of weight here. If you have to rent a trailer to haul it to the scrap yard,you might clear 75-100 bucks,and that's not much money for all the time and work.

Put it up for sale on places like this site,your local Craig's List,and on ebay,and I'd be shocked if you didn't get at least 750 bucks out of it within a week. Maybe/Probably even more if you can get a clean NC title for it in your name that has numbers that match the numbers on the car. A clean title in your name that you can sign that has numbers that match the ones on the car can bring an additional 500 bucks when you sell it to someone who wants to put it back on the road. If nothing else it practically guarantees you will sell the car if the asking price is reasonable. Put it on ebay and let the market set the price,

My suggestion is to get a clear title,clean all the trash and crap out of the car so potential buyers can get a good look at it,get a friend that knows something about mechanicals to see if he can get the engine unstuck and spinning freely,and THEN take the photos and put it up for sale. If you have any spare parts that go with the car,display them on a plastic tarp or blanket on the ground so they can be seen in the photo.

I don't particularly want the car because I already have more project cars than I have time left to live,but I live in eastern NC,and if you decide you want to just get rid of it by scraping it,let me know and I will pay you 50 bucks more than the scrap guy and come and get it. Maybe I can find someone that will want to buy it. I HATE the idea of restorable cars going to the crusher.

thanks for your input. Yea i don't want to crush it, I'd love to see it go to someone with the money to restore it or part it out. I hear older mopar stuff is harder to come by but I don't know personally. I definitely dont want to see it go to waste. 

Edited by CJwindsor

From looking at the pics it don't look that bad to me. I think someone would fix that car. I wouldn't mind having it but we're full up here. I would take a shop vac to it, trim the rags hanging down that was the head liner, mount 4 tires that would hold air (no tread necessary or do they even need to match), give it a wash, lay all extra parts in a pile ( don't throw anything away ) and post it for sale on Craigslist or Letgo. It will find a home if your realistic on the price.

• Like 1

CJ, Where are you in N.C. Knuckleharley is in the East Side of the State. I am in Huntersville, (North of Charlotte). Maybe one of us can help you. Unless you just don't trust us. I am not in the market for that car (I am over 60 and do not want a project car) I only want drivers that run. I am however, in the Carolina Chrysler Club and can put you into contact with about 40 members here in North Carolina. Please advise me if you so choose to, otherwise, Good Luck.

Tom

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom Skinner said:

CJ, Where are you in N.C. Knuckleharley is in the East Side of the State. I am in Huntersville, (North of Charlotte). Maybe one of us can help you. Unless you just don't trust us. I am not in the market for that car (I am over 60 and do not want a project car) I only want drivers that run. I am however, in the Carolina Chrysler Club and can put you into contact with about 40 members here in North Carolina. Please advise me if you so choose to, otherwise, Good Luck.

Tom

I'm in kannapolis Tom, not far at all, you're more than welcome to come take a look at the car and give me your opinion, up close and personal is always better than the internet(lots of hidden details). I'd love to know a reasonable price for the car or parts.

Just so its clear to everyone scraping the car is the last thing on my mind, I would have left it the woods if I didn't think it was worth something. My original plan was to restore it until I saw how much time and money it was going to take that I don't have.

• Like 1

A 100% crack free glove box door or steering wheel is worth $$$$ for any 1946-8 Chrysler. Six or eight cylinder car.

An eight cylinder steering wheel is bigger in the splined hub and worth even more !

Any dash plastic/glove box or steering wheel must be not faded or cracked to get top dollar.

Not that you would sell those parts off it.

Looks about the same as my Dodge that I bought 3 years ago in Michigan.  Chrysler is a little more desirable than the Dodge.  Mine is a 3 window not a 5 window.  I paid $2500 for mine. I'd think the Chrysler is worth a little more especially if the engine will turn.

As above and it will be done^^^^^^

It has a later 1949-54 25" engine in it. It might be a 265.