P-15 front shock modification

Busted_Knuckles

WHAT top shock mounting point modification?

3 minutes ago, Busted_Knuckles said:

There is a modification where the top mounting point is relocatedto the frame rather thanthe stock upper control arm location.  It makes for a much smoother ride. 

Thank you. Any photos or links you can post?

I can't be the only one that hasn't heard about this.

Edited by knuckleharley

BK it will be a search for the right shock. When you relocate the length will be different for everyone since you mount the new top mount where ever. So th resting, travel and over all length will vary.

try here,http://www.monroe.com/downloads/install-instructions-guides/MonroeMountingLengthSpecifications.pdf .

Harley this explains it. It helps with the ride and handling.

33 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

These are the brackets. There are numbers on the brackets as follows. 1271962 RH and 1271963 LH These were given to me by another forum member several years ago and if I recall they are a Ford pickup item.

MVC-002F.jpg

Both Ford and Dodge used very similar brackets like that. 

do the math...what is the extended and compressed  length in inches of the original....now take into account the distance of increase separation of the new location to that of the old....add that into the extended length for you new shock....buy accordingly....granted this would have been easier if you did this prior to removing the old shock post etc...but it is not much to add it back onto the car for a measurement...you can go onto Monroe's online site and buy shock by dimension and mounting methods.

3 hours ago, Busted_Knuckles said:

If you go to the HAMB and search P15 front suspension mod there is an entire thread on how to donit.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Both Ford and Dodge used very similar brackets like that. 

53 to 56 Ford F-100 PU.  I have a 60 F-100 parts truck out in the yard that has arms that look identical to these,but I can't honestly say they are identical.

I had a set on a front frame clip from a 56 that I parted out that is sitting in my back yard,but evidently someone liked them better than me because they are no longer bolted to that frame clip. Somebody stole the door handles off my 37 Dodge parts cab too,and AFAIK,I am the only one within 100 miles that has a 37 Dodge truck.

IIRC,Ford went to the Twin I-Beam front suspension in 61,so the shock mounts for the 61 and newer are different.

Edited by knuckleharley

you will have to pay close attention to the various methods of doing this mod...there are a couple kits out there plus one can use the truck models be it Ford or Dodge or you can get the new ones that have been produced for the rod building crowd...the shock will vary on the method used

3 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Ed, is there a part number on the Dodge mounts?

Not sure but I can check. The set for my project 47 is sitting out in the garage. Those ones I pictured above came from a pilot house and got passed onto another forum member. 

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

53 to 56 Ford F-100 PU.  I have a 60 F-100 parts truck out in the yard that has arms that look identical to these,but I can't honestly say they are identical.

I had a set on a front frame clip from a 56 that I parted out that is sitting in my back yard,but evidently someone liked them better than me because they are no longer bolted to that frame clip. Somebody stole the door handles off my 37 Dodge parts cab too,and AFAIK,I am the only one within 100 miles that has a 37 Dodge truck.

IIRC,Ford went to the Twin I-Beam front suspension in 61,so the shock mounts for the 61 and newer are different.

I don't think Ford went to twin I-Beam until 65 or 66.

The repro f100 arms available new from the hot rod shops come in two lengths 5" and 6" measured between the top bolt hole and the shock mount centre with the longer length matching the original part, ask me how I found out!!!!

2 hours ago, YukonJack said:

I don't think Ford went to twin I-Beam until 65 or 66.

I was thinking the 61 unibody I used to own had twin I-Beam axles under it,but the more I think of it the less sure I am. You may well be right. I definitely remember seeing the "Twin I-Beam" tag on the fenders of that body style pu a relative had,but his truck could have been a 65 or 66. 67 was the year they went to the new body style.

2 hours ago, DrDoctor said:

knuckleharley ,

I just stumbled across this. And, nope—you’re NOT the only one who’s never heard of this. Once again—kindred spirits.

Shock relocation has been discussed on this forum many times in the past. Do a forum search.

• Like 1

If you go to the HAMB and search P15 front suspension mod there is an entire thread on how to donit.

Well it stands to reason that if you give the suspension more travel the result will be a better ride along with improved handling. The F-1 shock mount is a nice look functional piece but for $80 a bit pricey for me so I'll source a bracket or make one the monroe p/n is for an S10 Jimmy etc so one has many great shocks to choose from. Now that I have the application I have what I need.

Thanks 

53 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

I also once had a 61 Ford uni-body pickup. If I recall it had a straight axle.

Thanks,Don. I didn't keep or drive that one very long,so I really didn't pay much attention to it. It was so rusty I ended up parting it out. The transmission went to a guy in Oregon,and the 292 engine is now sitting under the hood of a 39 Ford coupe in Berlin,Germany.

Here is a video of it running in the 39 the very first time he started it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmetuTfFZXY&list=FLLb6P6AQcE3lZv6RPWLY2Ww&index=127

You can see it drag racing on a former Soviet airstrip in eastern Germany in this video.  The guy was new to drag racing,and he was being careful. You can see it going through the tech sign up at 6:35,and making a run at 9:42. 

The Germans don't seem to understand the concept of classes,and you see a lot of cars that are so slow you could take a nap while waiting for them to cross the finish line,but nobody seems to really care. They are all having fun with their cars,and that's all they care about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcmLMKJLTsg&list=FLLb6P6AQcE3lZv6RPWLY2Ww&index=129

Edited by knuckleharley