Thermostat housing

Young Ed

Anyone recognize this odd style? It's off the worthington chief tractor. It's bad and I'm hoping it's used on other flatheads so we have a shot at finding a replacement. 

IMG_20161022_1553091.jpg

IMG_20161022_1553201.jpg

Could you tell us what year and what size engine Worthington Chief tractor it is that you have? That way it would be easier to research it and see what engine it used.

Although,it actually looks like a Ford housing with the bypass.

If all else fails,post a photo/drawing of it that give the dimensions and I will check it against those of the 57 Ford tractor out in my yard,and the early 40's Ford tractor a friend of mine owns.

Edited by knuckleharley

14 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Its a late 40s and 1/2 dodge truck parts. The engine is a 218 like a dodge truck but this is a different housing for sure.

Do you need the water bypass on your tractor,or can you get by without it? If you don't need it,any thermostat housing that fits a gasket that fits your head will work if the outlet for the top hose is the same.

Just now, knuckleharley said:

Do you need the water bypass on your tractor,or can you get by without it? If you don't need it,any thermostat housing that fits a gasket that fits your head will work if the outlet for the top hose is the same.

I think it needs the bypass. There is no internal bypass

6 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I think it needs the bypass. There is no internal bypass

Why would they need one? I THOUGHT the purpose of the bypass was to supply semi-warm water to the heater so it would start putting out a little heat without having to wait for the thermostat to open completely.

Am I wrong about this?

Hello Young Ed,

I might have one.  We stayed up here for a couple of days after Tim's BBQ.  I will need to dig through my parts when I get back home if you would like me to.  Please PM me so I don't forget.

-Jack

11 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Why would they need one? I THOUGHT the purpose of the bypass was to supply semi-warm water to the heater so it would start putting out a little heat without having to wait for the thermostat to open completely.

Am I wrong about this?

Actually, it's to allow a small amount of coolant to circulate past the thermostat so that there is some circulation through the block. This helps get the hotter coolant up to the thermostat so that it can sense the temperature better. It also helps to eliminate uneven temperature buildup within the block. 

• Like 4

Here is another odd ball T/stat housing from a 1960s Massey harris Combine.

You can use the external by pass T/stat housing on an internal bypass engine, but not the reverse, unless you have the correct head and drill a passage too.

All or most were internal by pass water pups and engines after 1951

20170403_085438_resized.jpg

20170403_085445_resized.jpg

39 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

Actually, it's to allow a small amount of coolant to circulate past the thermostat so that there is some circulation through the block. This helps get the hotter coolant up to the thermostat so that it can sense the temperature better. It also helps to eliminate uneven temperature buildup within the block. 

I can see and understand the pressure vent as the block heats,but isn't this the same thing as allowing warm water going to the heater quicker? Kinda like "One hand washing the other"?

I am going to HAVE to track one of these boogers down and take a close look at it from the inside,and the mounting surface on the block.

3 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

I can see and understand the pressure vent as the block heats,but isn't this the same thing as allowing warm water going to the heater quicker? Kinda like "One hand washing the other"?

I am going to HAVE to track one of these boogers down and take a close look at it from the inside,and the mounting surface on the block.

The flow of water to the cabin heater comes from the rear of the head where the water is the hottest, through the heater core, and returns to the suction side of the water pump (same as the external by-pass when the thermostat is closed) to recirculate through the engine co-mingled with the cool water from the bottom of the radiator.

P6220001.jpg

• Like 1

Another development in this issue. The OD where the radiator hose goes is about 1/4 inch bigger than the other housings we have. This of course needs to match the radiator. 

8 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Another development in this issue. The OD where the radiator hose goes is about 1/4 inch bigger than the other housings we have. This of course needs to match the radiator. 

Ed I would think the ID inside diameter is more important because you need the exact size to fit both end of the radiator and also the housing.

Rich Hartung

9 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Another development in this issue. The OD where the radiator hose goes is about 1/4 inch bigger than the other housings we have. This of course needs to match the radiator

46 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

Ed I would think the ID inside diameter is more important because you need the exact size to fit both end of the radiator and also the housing.

Rich Hartung

I am pretty sure both of you guys are talking the same language.:D

• Like 1

I asked this on the dodge truck group and got a little more info. Apparently the larger trucks like 1.5 ton and up use a 2 1/8 radiator hose. 

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

I asked this on the dodge truck group and got a little more info. Apparently the larger trucks like 1.5 ton and up use a 2 1/8 radiator hose. 

Is that what the passenger car 251 engine and the Chrysler 265 engine use,too?

Or is it a unique truck thing?

1 minute ago, knuckleharley said:

Is that what the passenger car 251 engine and the Chrysler 265 engine use,too?

Or is it a unique truck thing?

I don't know for sure but I'd guess a truck thing.