The State Of Urban Freeway Driving

Hey all just surfing around and cannot believe the speeds and traffic volumes of the US urban freeway systems.

Atlantas I 285 LAs 710 to mention a few.

I have currently created a few threads on Braking systems as well as Trans gearing for our flathead. 

I may not have a complete appreciation on this type of driving environment. 

I invite all of those both truck and car owners to share there "story " on there hairy scary freeway drives either their flathead powered cars and trucks.

This is not a 1/4 mile time or 0 to 60 MPH or a top speed contest thread.

Edited by Rockwood

I think your title says it all. Urban and freeway usually means lots of traffic at high speed. Where I live is urban (100,000 population) but there are no freeways and I live fairly close to the edge of town and smaller country roads. I don't think I would feel comfortable on massive freeways with my cars which are all as stock as can be. 

8 minutes ago, RobertKB said:

I think your title says it all. Urban and freeway usually means lots of traffic at high speed. Where I live is urban (100,000 population) but there are no freeways and I live fairly close to the edge of town and smaller country roads. I don't think I would feel comfortable on massive freeways with my cars which are all as stock as can be. 

Yes Rob not sure what that's like.

Traffic is nothing in my locale probably will be like that here for a very long time.

A friend nearby has a 32 Chrysler 251 out of a 54 truck T5 He drives all over the country and the US.

This summer he is going to Indiana from some car shindig.

I would hate driving on somebody those busy fast roadways even with my Hemi....lol I like 65 and slower

Edited by Rockwood

I live in a rural area, but I still stick to the back roads whenever possible.   To many tailgaters, phone talkers/texters that aren't expecting a 45 mph truck. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MBFowler said:

I live in a rural area, but I still stick to the back roads whenever possible.   To many tailgaters, phone talkers/texters that aren't expecting a 45 mph truck. 

Well that's all great and I'm with yah Buddy.  But would if we all gotta go to the big city... lol

I'm driving home tonight from the big city traffic very light but lots doing  70 to 75 mph me at 65 with the Hemi Ramsey...

this week I am doing front springs king pins and rusty hope front disc kit with power booster and propotioning valve.  I hope with all this work I will feel more relaxed when driveing. Lots of new homes being built near where I live which means I have seen a lot more traffic. That takes out all the fun of driveing my truck.  I will be getting rear springs and lower the truck just a little.  For the guys that have done what I am doing now do you feel ok on the highway at speeds of 70?

53 minutes ago, gramps1951 said:

Just wanted to add I changed the rear end on my truck it can do 70 easy just can't stop or turn very well.

To what gear rattio? don't worry bout it, the last 2 are over rated..... lol

Edited by Rockwood

I travel I-385 and I-26 regularly in SC and the average speed of traffic seems to be 75 to 85. I typically do about 80 in a modern car and there are plenty others that pass me. I suspect anything less than 70 could be a little risky.

Scott.

33 minutes ago, cavisco1 said:

I travel I-385 and I-26 regularly in SC and the average speed of traffic seems to be 75 to 85. I typically do about 80 in a modern car and there are plenty others that pass me. I suspect anything less than 70 could be a little risky.

Scott.

At least if in multi lane roads, if they leave you alone in the slow lane would be okay.

I don't care how good any Pilot House or Cseries truck is, ain't no 80 mph vehicle, whether it has a V8 disc brakes or an overdrive, those little suckers are not built for thaty speed, and any accident is gonna be a killer...

Being from o.c California, I travel the 5,91,605,710 freeways in my 51 coronet flathead. And my buddy also in his 49 Plymouth. Bone stock. Little by little we've been getting more "umph" out of the Lhead. Cruising at 65mph slow lane sharing . Some people don't care much and swerve around, others mean mug us. But nothing that the bird can't translate better to show that I don't care. 

IMG_0016.JPG

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Beto0311 said:

Being from o.c California, I travel the 5,91,605,710 freeways in my 51 coronet flathead. And my buddy also in his 49 Plymouth. Bone stock. Little by little we've been getting more "umph" out of the Lhead. Cruising at 65mph slow lane sharing . Some people don't care much and swerve around, others mean mug us. But nothing that the bird can't translate better to show that I don't care. 

IMG_0016.JPG

Love it , great car, great times, and I have driven all those roads you mention.

At least you can drive on them, try that with a 1951 Chevrolet with a splash stovebolt 216 and 4.11 rearend.

How are the brakes working for you, I love the stock brakes if they are in very well maintained shape.

Thanx for sharing