1949 Dodge Coronet Coupe

Andy

Hi, I'm new to the site and to working on cars, I puchased a 1949 Dodge Coronet Club Coupe as fell in love with it. The car has stood for a long time so needs loads of work doing to it, maybe not the best first project but its a bit late now lol I need to order some parts but not sure the best place to get the parts, also I will have to ship them to the UK. I've looked on Rock Autos but not all the parts are on there. Parts needed are Fuel tank, brake cylinders all round, rear brake shoses 11" to start with, any help on finding parts or best way of going about getting them I would be most Greatful for. Thank Andy

received_10157218181140506.jpeg

Hi Andy, 

Welcome to the forum, nice looking project.

Where you based?

I brought a reproduction fuel tank for my 48 Plymouth from this ebay seller in the States which was good quality and fitted nice and he has one listed for a 49-52 mopar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/49-52-MOPAR-gas-fuel-tank-NEW-steel-reproduction-Dodge-Plymouth-Desoto-Sender-/231485803592?hash=item35e5a10c48

I had it shipped thru a third party contact who's based in Luton though to keep costs down a bit, pm me if you want his details

Rockautos should have wheel cylinders and flexy hoses they did for my Plymouth. As for shoes they're company's here in the UK who can reline your old ones a google search will find the nearest to you or try the links section above to find suppliers in the States. 

regards ......... Simon.

Edited by 61farnham
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 61farnham said:

Rockautos should have wheel cylinders and flexy hoses they did for my Plymouth. As for shoes they're company's here in the UK who can reline your old ones a google search will find the nearest to you or try the links section above to find suppliers in the States. 

You might be surprised at all the stuff you can find on amazon if you know the factory parts numbers. I bought brand new Lockheed wheel cylinders for my 39 ICH pu from Amazon for $4.95 each.  It's tough to buy a kit for that,never mind a brand new "Made in America" wheel cylinder.

Believe it or not,but the 37-39 IHC pu uses the same wheel cylinder as the 53-54 Corvette.

I discovered this by running a search on Amazon using the factory parts number for a wheel cylinder..

You  might want to run a search on the GB Amazon web page. If you can find anything there you can probably save a bundle on shipping.

BTW,looks to me like you got lucky and found a VERY nice one to start with. Anytime your first thoughts aren't focused on cutting out rust and welding in patch panels,and finding missing parts,you are ahead of the game.

I used to have a 49 Dodge 4dr daily driver,and still regret selling it.

Edited by knuckleharley
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum, nice looking project you have there.  These cars seem to be comming on strong across the pond. Like Don said, might want to look up Robin on the forum. He would prob be a good one to talk to. He organized a car show there recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 61farnham said:

Hi Andy, 

Welcome to the forum, nice looking project.

Where you based?

I brought a reproduction fuel tank for my 48 Plymouth from this ebay seller in the States which was good quality and fitted nice and he has one listed for a 49-52 mopar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/49-52-MOPAR-gas-fuel-tank-NEW-steel-reproduction-Dodge-Plymouth-Desoto-Sender-/231485803592?hash=item35e5a10c48

I had it shipped thru a third party contact who's based in Luton though to keep costs down a bit, pm me if you want his details

regards ......... Simon.

Hi Simon, thanks for replying. We are in Ipswich, I tried the link to ebay but its for the sender, do you have the link to the tank at all please. Have you ordered from Rock Autos before, if so did it go well? Thanks for your help

2 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Contact forum member Robin in the UK. He has a lot of contacts and can put you in touch with a lot of others in your area.

Thank you Don, I will try to find him

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

You might be surprised at all the stuff you can find on amazon if you know the factory parts numbers. I bought brand new Lockheed wheel cylinders for my 39 ICH pu from Amazon for $4.95 each.  It's tough to buy a kit for that,never mind a brand new "Made in America" wheel cylinder.

Believe it or not,but the 37-39 IHC pu uses the same wheel cylinder as the 53-54 Corvette.

I discovered this by running a search on Amazon using the factory parts number for a wheel cylinder..

You  might want to run a search on the GB Amazon web page. If you can find anything there you can probably save a bundle on shipping.

BTW,looks to me like you got lucky and found a VERY nice one to start with. Anytime your first thoughts aren't focused on cutting out rust and welding in patch panels,and finding missing parts,you are ahead of the game.

I used to have a 49 Dodge 4dr daily driver,and still regret selling it.

Hi, thanks for the information, I did find items on Amazon US and didn't think of trying the UK site so will have a look. But have found finding part number a little tricky

56 minutes ago, Flatie46 said:

Welcome to the forum, nice looking project you have there.  These cars seem to be comming on strong across the pond. Like Don said, might want to look up Robin on the forum. He would prob be a good one to talk to. He organized a car show there recently.

Thank you

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

Hi, thanks for the information, I did find items on Amazon US and didn't think of trying the UK site so will have a look. But have found finding part number a little tricky

The easy way to do it is to buy a used or reproduction factory parts manual.

You might also consider buying a Hollanders Interchange Manual covering cars of your model year. Hollanders let you look up the  parts number and it then gives you a list of other cars and trucks that use that same part. Given what shipping and customs can cost you,that could possibly save you a bundle by maybe being able to buy parts for something else that is already available in GB.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

The easy way to do it is to buy a used or reproduction factory parts manual.

You might also consider buying a Hollanders Interchange Manual covering cars of your model year. Hollanders let you look up the  parts number and it then gives you a list of other cars and trucks that use that same part. Given what shipping and customs can cost you,that could possibly save you a bundle by maybe being able to buy parts for something else that is already available in GB.

Thats excellent information thanks, I'm spending alot of the weekend looking as need the parts asap

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Thats excellent information thanks, I'm spending alot of the weekend looking as need the parts asap

BTW,when looking for books/manuals,there are more sources available than ebay. Try amazon as well as abebooks.com.  Abe books is usually the first place I look because they ONLY sell books,and I usually find them cheaper there. I've bought a lot of books from England through abe books,so it's definitely worth your time to check it out.

In.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Andy said:

Hi Simon, thanks for replying. We are in Ipswich, I tried the link to ebay but its for the sender, do you have the link to the tank at all please. Have you ordered from Rock Autos before, if so did it go well? Thanks for your help

That's weird, the link works fine on my pc but on my phone it goes to completely different site sorry about that.

Try tying "49-52 mopar gas fuel tank new steel reproduction" into ebay's seach box and it should come up the tank, sellers name is tomsclassic.

I've used Rockautos many times always a good service and import duties are included in their shipping price so you won't have Royal Mail charging you £8 for the privilege of collecting the duties.One thing to watch with them is to try and make sure all your order comes from one distribution warehouse to keep shipping costs down. There's usually a 5% discount code available with a google search too.

As said above a factory workshop and or parts manual are first thing to buy if you haven't already. 

regards......... Simon.

13 hours ago, Andy said:

Parts needed are Fuel tank,....

Tanks,Inc. They make top quality repo tanks for 40's Mopars as well as other cars,their prices can't be beaten,and with some models you have a choice of galvanized steel,stainless steel,or poly tanks. My suggestion is to always buy a poly tank if that is an option. You will never have any rust issues,and that is a big consideration with ethanol gas.

I have a Tanks,Inc tank in my 51 Ford and another one in my 48 Plymouth

I'd be surprised if they don't have a British distributor.

http://www.tanksinc.com/

4 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

I never gave this much thought but is the gasoline sold in Europe ethanol enriched or is that a USA thing?

Pretty sure. Euro-eweenies all seem to love leftist governments that take the place of daddy and tell them what is good for them.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Pretty sure. Euro-eweenies all seem to love leftist governments that take the place of daddy and tell them what is good for them.

Actually, when it comes to Ethanol, your conclusions are false.  The EU has been pushing for E10 but are not having much success.  France, Germany and Finland were the first countries to have E10 fuel while most of Europe is still struggling to accept E5.  So, there are lots of gasoline stations in Europe selling ethanol-free fuel.  

In the U.S. ethanol added to fuel totalled 13,901 million U.S. gallons in 2011.  In Europe the same period saw 1,199 million U.S. gallons of ethanol added to fuel.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B-Watson said:

Actually, when it comes to Ethanol, your conclusions are false.  The EU has been pushing for E10 but are not having much success.  France, Germany and Finland were the first countries to have E10 fuel while most of Europe is still struggling to accept E5.  So, there are lots of gasoline stations in Europe selling ethanol-free fuel.  

In the U.S. ethanol added to fuel totalled 13,901 million U.S. gallons in 2011.  In Europe the same period saw 1,199 million U.S. gallons of ethanol added to fuel.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

I'll be damned!  Who would have thought the drones  of Europe would have the stones to stand up to the enviro-whackos?

I am pleased to stand corrected on this,and may they remain sane.

Unless of course their reason to resist the borg is based more on the higher expense of Ethanol and the lack of corporate farms growing corn?

3 hours ago, casper50 said:

No Ethanol in Alaska.  

I wish there were none in the lower 48.

Have you tried Vans Automotive?  They are beginning to dabble into older gas tanks.  

https://vansauto.com/

Try this and see if it steers you in the right Direction.