Autolite Distributor Specs needed

That distributor model doesn't appear in any of the books I have at hand, but almost every other Auto-Lite distributor I have specs for requires a dwell angle of 38deg or 39deg.  The Chrysler Industrial Engines manual shows a dwell of 38deg (but also lists Auto-Lite distributors IAD-4201-1 and IAD-4203-1 as the only two models used).  The military Auto-Lite manual (TM9-1825B) lists nineteen different IGC series distributors (but no IGC-4721, unfortunately), all of them with a 39deg dwell angle.

Edited by Elwood

Hello Elwood,

Thanks for taking the time to look up the dwell angle. Yes, like you I just cannot seem to find that model number anywhere.  The IND-7 was installed in a WWII welding unit which was mounted on a trailer.  It definitely is a Chrysler tagged distributor that's for sure. Oh well, I'll just set it at 39 degrees, re-time the motor and see what happens. Have a nice weekend.

Hello Don,

The  motor is a 236.6(237) 25" block. It's been totally rebuilt and balanced and the cam is an Isky high performance one. I had the advance curves changed to give me more power on acceleration. It runs like a Swiss watch at Idle. Upon acceleration at around 1500 RPM's on up, I get a motor miss. If I pull the choke out about a third of the way, the miss goes away and the motor runs smoothly.   Have done the propane test to check for a vacuum leak but couldn't find one.  Will check the float setting, but do not think that is the problem. Thanks for any further advice on how I can get it running smooth at high speed.

Pulling the choke mechanically restricts air thereby enriching the mix. So if you need to do that, something must be leaning the mixture, meaning some air is getting into the charge downstream of the throttle plate is a vacuum leak. Carb, is the ported vacuum fixtures stoppered? Are the throttle shaft bushings worn allowing air in?  Carb to manifold, tight and peak free, manifold, wiper port attached or plugged? Manifold to block, no leaks? A vacuum gauge attacked to the manifold would go a long way to point you to a fix.  With a modified cam you should be looking at 16 to 18 inches of vacuum steady needle at 500 rpm idle.

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

Thanks for all the great advice.  At idle on the vacuum gauge, the needle reads 18" and is somewhat steady with the needle flickering less than 1/16 of a degree. I have checked for Vacum leaks around the carb, intake manifold and the vacum wiper connections.  Thinking of drilling out a spare main metering jet I have and seeing if that helps.  Will take the carb apart and re-clean it again.   Other than slight miss at higher RPM's, the 237 runs like a champ. I am happy that I installed it in the truck.  It is a real smooth runner and I can tell it has noticeable more torque on hills than the 230 had even with the late 1957 head installed in it.