49 Ol' Blue.....It's alive

Another 1949 Dodge B1B breathes again! Been a long road to this point and plenty still to do but this truck got a complete frame off going over. Nothing perfect and never going to be a show truck but I've learned a ton from the guys here and a little knuckle busting of my own. So together we should celebrate this milestone - Thank you!

I had some health issues this year and this project is where I poured my time to keep my mind off it.  I went all-in in January. Put the cab back on, put an engine from my 50 parts truck in the 49, used the tranny that came with the 49 (was hooked to a desoto that was seized). Rigged up a radiator and hooked up a gas tank from an old lawnmower. I painted the dash and put gauges and switches back, rebuilt a new wire loom, and metered out all connections - so far so good. Wiper motor was shorting, pulled it and found it full of rust too. Pulled coils and brushes out, cleaned it all up, re soldered coils and that now works. I dropped marvel mystery oil in each cyl and worked it over a bit and found the starter stuck. .....Yesterday I pulled the starter apart cleaned out a pound of rust wire brushed it, cleaned up brushes and it worked ....so - judgement day. A little fiddling with distributor and a good dose of gas down the throat she sneezed that marvel right out, ther'll be no mosquitoes in my shop for a while.

Still too much snow to even get out of my shop, so I put rear end up on jack stands to run it through the gears... ha no first gear due to an "obstruction".... Had to torch and bend the shift lever because it hit the dash and couldn't get to first gear ;-), Need to finish sandblasting floor so I can POR it and get it back in - need me a gas pedal again! Sitting atop my milk crate seat at the helm of my "pilothouse" was a pretty good day!

Progress my friends! Just like I'm 8 again counting the minutes til I can get back in the sandbox....Can't wait to get another day playing with my truck.

Cheers,

J

49 Dodge first start.mp4

• Like 8

Battery Disconnect installed:

Hey folks,  I had searched the forum and found some good info prior to wiring mine - Wanted to provide some info in case anyone is looking to do a battery disconnect install.

I renewed my battery  cables with 2-0 wire because I'm still running 6v +ground and with big current better conductor is...well just better.

To add the battery disconnect you can use your original cables if you want or swap both as I did.  You will also need a third cable. I used 2-0 welding type cable for all cables had quality  battery connects and 3/8 eyelets crimped on to all. I used a Cole Hersee 2484 switch (bought it off amazon with free shipping for ~$20). Also got the switch plate (was extra) certainly don't need it...it's your truck and you'll know what on and off is ;-).

One unexpected benefit has been as I make different connections under the dash post rewire, I can flip the switch and take a wrench or screwdriver under dash without risk of arcs and sparks!

There's a bunch of ways to do this and plenty of locations for batt switch to reside, I chose side of seat as it's easily accessible when in the truck and out. Anyway what you need to complete the install like this...

Cole Hersee 2484 switch, 43" cable with 3/8 eyes at both ends to rout the way I did, use your cables or make new ones. Punch a 3/4 hole in the side of seat base and two down through the floor. I used two 1/2'ID grommets for where the wires go through floor and 1/2" adelle retainers to secure cables to frame(added after the pictures). Good luck!

J

Start.JPG

Switch Front.JPG

Switch.JPG

BattConnections.JPG