Found a frame no.

61farnham

Hi all,

Finally found some time to work on the Plymouth.

I was busy chipping the some old underseal away when I uncovered a painted no. stencilled on the frame upside down in red, it's on the drivers side outside rail mid point of the car. I'm guessing it's the frame no. from when the car was manufactured can anyone out there decipher it for me? It reads 3-23-48-78-30

The car's a '48 Bus. Coupe built in L.A.  if thats any help.

Regards.......... Simon.

2017-03-28 Chaasis no.b.jpg

2017-03-28 Chaasis no.a.jpg

22 minutes ago, casper50 said:

frame numbers are stamped not painted.  Also should be on the rear wheel arch driver's side.

Thanks for that I'll have a look tomorrow, would that be stamped on the inside or outside of the frame?

Anyone else got any clue to what the painted no's for? It's been hiding under that underseal for a long time.

Simon.  

Looks like a date stenciled on there. March 23, 1948 (3-23-48) and then the last two numbers. Could it have been something stenciled on a stack of frames that were delivered to the assembly line? I thought that the number that is stamped into the frame rail matched the engine number. I know mine does on my 53 Suburban.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 61spit said:

Looks like a date stenciled on there. March 23, 1948 (3-23-48) and then the last two numbers. Could it have been something stenciled on a stack of frames that were delivered to the assembly line? I thought that the number that is stamped into the frame rail matched the engine number. I know mine does on my 53 Suburban.

That's a good shout, forgot you reverse month/day when writing the date over there.

Had a close look round the rear of the frame and can find no number stamped into it, front end is still coated in underseal and that's for another day!!!!

Thanks.......... 

12 hours ago, casper50 said:

it's suppose to be drivers side outside rail above or just before the rear axle hump

That is where my 1938 Plymouth is stamped.

22 hours ago, casper50 said:

it's suppose to be drivers side outside rail above or just before the rear axle hump

9 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

That is where my 1938 Plymouth is stamped.

Thanks all for your input, double checked not there on mine perhaps they did things differently on L.A. built cars?

regards.... Simon.

2 hours ago, 61farnham said:

Thanks all for your input, double checked not there on mine perhaps they did things differently on L.A. built cars?

regards.... Simon.

My Plymouth was not built in LA.  My 1939 Plymouth Truck had the number on the left from frame horn.  To be honest, I had to wire wheel deep to find my serial number.  Seems like the factory paint "hid" them from me....   Hopefully this will be the same case for you.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2017 at 8:42 PM, classiccarjack said:

My Plymouth was not built in LA.  My 1939 Plymouth Truck had the number on the left from frame horn.  To be honest, I had to wire wheel deep to find my serial number.  Seems like the factory paint "hid" them from me....   Hopefully this will be the same case for you.

19 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

It may help if you use a bright LED flashlight at various angles along the frame rail to see if you can spot the stamped numbers.

You're not kidding about the factory paint hiding it, found it today just in front of the fuel filler pipe with a combination of a wire brush a bright torch and me reading glasses!!!!!

Reads P15 682197 which is different to the engine no. which is P15 995471 so obviously the engines been replaced at some point in the cars life.

Thanks all for your help. 

2017-03-31 Chassis number.jpg

2017-03-31 Engine number.jpg

Edited by 61farnham

Another mystery solved. It's quite common to see mismatched numbers because changing engines was, and is, the quick easy way to do a rebuild. Every one from the shade tree mechanic to the dealer would toss in a rebuilt engine in a few hours rather than remove strip and rebuild the original one.

Yours looks like an exceptionally well preserved frame.  

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 11:18 AM, Ricky Luke said:

On my 40 Chrysler C25 the chassis number is stamped on the RHS of the frame in front of the suspension

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5e9dnwo9bf1p6y/Note_20131119_001326_1.pdf?dl=0

Rick

Are you sure it's the chassis # and not it's part #? I think the usual Australian location is on the left below the cowl.