48 Windsor - Heat Riser

48Windsor

I finally got another intake/exhaust manifold. I'm going to disable the heat riser so I don't have to separate it. I'm looking at having someone braze the shaft to plug the worn bushings/hole on  each side. I just want to verify that  I need to turn the shaft clockwise to get the flapper in the proper location so the exhaust exits without restriction. 

Any other suggestions on disabling it or on install is appreciated,

Thanks 
Tom B

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I'm back again. I've got the manifolds separated. I'm down to either spending another $100 on repairing the heat riser or removing it. My preference would be to remove it. 

I haven't seen any pics or anything on putting a piece of metal between the two manifolds to block off the exhaust to the intake. Is there enough slop to put a piece of metal between them and not crack either of the manifolds when I go to cinch them down?? If I go to having anything welded, I'm right back to spending at least $100 to have someone do it. Seems like I'm taking one step forward and two steps back on this thing. Hmm, must be a song like that. I admit, I really don't know what the hell I'm doin with this thing so sorry for the dumb questions. 

Tom B

Thanks for the suggestion. Thats the easy solution, I agree. I'm guess I worried about all the exhaust  hitting under the carb, possibly boiling the gas in the carb or causing vapor lock problems. Since the bottom of the intake is open, seems like I ought to put some separation  between the two to route the  exhaust gases out. Maybe I'm making more  out of this than I need to but don't want to do it again. 

I have welded my riser flap in the fully clockwise position. But this does not completely seal the chamber. I have a really thin piece of stainless steel sheet along with the gasket between the manifolds.  I suppose you could use brass, don't know if sheet copper would hold up to exhaust temp, but then again marine applications use solid copper head gaskets which are exposed to direct combustion temperatures, so may not be an issue.

Edited by greg g