BEST 6 volt Battery Source?

Skrambler

Hi Folks!

Checked out some of the older posts, but need to re-visit the best place to purchase a replacement,  Group 1, 6 volt battery is?

I have checked Excide, sold around here at Central Tractor, but man, the reviews on Excide batteries is AWFUL!

Sears? Well....

Even the local "Battery Warehouse" is expensive ($93.99) and only has a 24 month warranty.

So far, MY best find is NAPA. $83.25, 30 month pro rated after the first 6 months.

Any ideas before I bite the bullet?

Thanks all.

Unfortunately, there’s no such thing as an inexpensive battery anymore, what with the associated imbedded costs for its eventual disposal/recycling, since the lead, and the acid, are both hazardous materials. My local auto parts store has 6V batteries for around $80, so the prices you’ve reflected seem in the ball park.

Some people swear by farm co-ops,but I can't buy there.

I bought my last two at the local NAPA store. Always had good luck with NAPA batteries.

BTW,lots of people recommend buying 8 volt batteries so the starter spins faster. I've never bought one,but it sounds like a good idea to me. I suspect you are going to have to go to one of your local tractor dealers to buy a 8 volt battery,though.  Do you know any farmers that could buy one for you?

How does a 6 volt generator/regulator fully charge a 8 volt battery properly???

The auto parts store that I frequent carries 8V batteries. He sells them to landscaping companies, and golf courses, as their lawn equipment, tractors, etc, are all 8V. You could find out where your local golf course buys its parts. It’s worth a try.

When I got married, my wife was driving a ’53 Merc (her dad had a couple of them at their farm) that had an 8V battery in it, and we never had a problem with it starting, even if the really cold winter months. I can’t answer the question of whether the 8V battery was fully charged, but I’m guessing that it was probably close to fully charged.

13 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

How does a 6 volt generator/regulator fully charge a 8 volt battery properly???

You adjust the voltage regulator.

• Like 1

That's right.

But doing it (adjusting properly) with some of the replacement regulators is extremely touchy and difficult.

You shouldn't really need a 8 volt battery unless trying to possibly bypass an underlying battery or charging system issue.

This said as I have seen this 8 volt install on several old cars over the years.

A charging rate of say 9.5 volts is hard on 6 volt head lights and bulbs and can be hard on the radio too....just saying....

• Like 1

well if you going for the traditional look..you pretty much going to get a short life battery...no one has a good warranty on these.  Exide, though the feedback is as you read is AWFUL has been the better battery for overall longevity.  BUT if you want power, longevity at the same time...you got to go against the grain and get yourself a red top Optima.  These are by far the better bang for the buck but if you need to look conventional, the box cover is available for a more than modest price...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Saturday I just had to buy a new battery for my big dodge. A group 4 NAPA commercial battery..... also is what I use in some of my 1046-52 MoPar cars custom tray and hold down...

I thought the battery was no more than 3 years old... kinda Po'd about it till I saw the date on it....FEB 05!

I happily went to NAPA and bought another for $120.00 total!

I would never buy a group 1 as they usually don't last more than 2 years and are kinda weak to say the least IMO.

The group 2's are better and are used in the trucks and some of the eight cylinders cars like mine.

But I like 900 CCA's and close to 12 years of use!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
spelling correction

I put one of these in my '41 last year only been about 8 months so time will tell. If you have the room, group 4 1170 CCA and 300 minute reserve. $100 at Tractor Supply.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/exide-heavy-duty-farm-battery-t4hp?cm_vc=IOPDP1

• Like 1

I wonder if a golf cart battery would be a good choice?  Anyone have any thoughts on one of these types of batteries?

2 minutes ago, busycoupe said:

Golf cart batteries are deep cycle batteries, and last very well. However, they are taller than standard car batteries. They may not fit under the hood well.  You would need a different ti down clamp.

Thank you Busycoupe, that definitely sheds some light on the subject.

I checked with Tractor Supply as 1949 Goat recommended. Found that they had them in stock, ready to go, but they came with a lame 12 month warranty.

Still can not touch NAPA'S price and Nation Wide Warranty of 30 months (pro rated after 6 months).

Thanks for all your suggestions, but I believe I will be found behind the counter at NAPA.

I go to batteries and bulbs[used to be batteries plus]. group 2, about 85$, only one year full warranty.i had one go bad in 11 months once. they gave me a new one.however, they only gave me the last month left on the old one as my new warranty. kind of sleazy in my opinion.

sounds as though one buy one warranty period and the remaining will carry forward and NOT start anew with the new battery...that is cheesy if you really think about it...the new battery regardless of the date seems to be useless on further claim should it go bad...the warranty period of the battery is supposedly the build date IF date of sale is not verified as occurring later...else, it is from date it went into service/bought per your receipt/repair tidcket..

I agree its cheesy but seems to be the case. We experienced the same thing with a dell laptop. After I think 8 service calls to the house they finally replaced it and the new one(which was refurbished) had about 2 weeks of warranty. Sold that "new" one on ebay and bought a different brand!

12 minutes ago, Niel Hoback said:

TSC.  Group 1. About $60, lasts seven years.

What is TSC?

1 minute ago, Skrambler said:

Tractor Supply Company.

On-line, and at the store they are currently priced at 79.99.  Come with 12 month, LIMITED warranty.

Thanks. All this new-fangled abbreviation stuff confuses me.

Price depends on store location. I believe the group 1 was $69 at the Big R in Michigan City Indiana store. But that was almost two years ago. The TSC in Valparaiso was a bit higher.

Edited by Niel Hoback
Mis-information