measurement requested

Any one have a transmission detached from the bellhousing on a 6 cylinder C1B truck?  I need the diameter of the hole in the rear of the bellhousing.  This is the big round hole into which the bearing retainer of the transmission fits.

Thanks,

Larry

Hi larry, Have you got a floor gearstick ? I have a C-1-B6 1954 with a three speed on the column ( 3 on a tree I believe ) the gearbox is out if you need the measurement of mine , Cheers, Dave

If I can be a real pain in the butt:  could I have the measurement of the length of the bell housing, i.e., from the surface that abuts the block to the surface that abuts the front of the transmission.  I'm trying to install a T5 behind the stock 230 flathead and am having problems.  Thanks for putting up with me.

And to further complicate things my transmission is different from yoursl  According to the parts manual there are two 3 speed column shift transmissions for C1B 3 speed column shift trucks.  The only picture is for a different series truck.

More parts manual info: The two C1B series bell housings are part numbers 1503 406 and 1568 143.  The first number is standard duty and the second is heavy duty.  Of course there are no pictures of the various bell housings (they call them clutch housings, by the way).

Blimey, thats opened a can of worms......not sure what one I have, all I know is its blooming heavy. I will look for some numbers tomorrow when I fit the engine and clutch housing to the chassis.    Dave

According to an old guy I know, the '53 and the '54 bellhousings were different.  Apparently, the '54 and up bellhousings were mounted on its own crossmember type thing with rubber doughnuts.  This system was more secure and lessened the vibration.  This is the kind I have.  Earlier ones, he says, were fastened to the truck from the bellhousing sides instead of at the bottom.  The earlier ones were 7 1/4" front to back and the later ones were 8 1/4".  

I'm going to have my machine shop build an altered pilot bushing as well as shave a little of the front and rear surfaces of the bellhousing to get my inch back.

Yup, the 54+ has quite a few differences from the 53 and earlier. The bell housing and crossmember are one. Also note that with the crossmember mounting, the pedals mount differently and the popular Cherokee m/c will not work.  There is a link in the tech archives for the 54+ m/c upgrade. Steering setup would be another difference. 

You have been busy, found out a lot about the clutch housings. Mine has the big rubber mountings at the back of the housing. Thanks 59bisquik, that all makes sense now. My clutch and brake pedals come in two pieces each with a splined joint in the middle, I dont have the top halves so may have to make them as there aint any here in the UK. Good luck with your modification Larry.................Hopefully attached picture of my engine back in, you can see the rear mounts in the picture......... still more to do ......................

320.JPG

318.JPG

Thrashfit... is that a fluid drive tranny? That bell housing is much longer than any of mine and looks quite different. Also, with mine being shorter, the crossmember bolts up directly under the M/C brackets.