Aussie 47 dodge d25

Shaneo

Gday all, any help towards my new project would be awesome, i'm new too this jazz/forum and not so good at the interweb tech world. 

These mods i plan to do to my d25 would have been done do death i'm sure but what is the best latest diy gear as far as dropping in a 350 chev, turbo 400, front discs, brake/booster and master upgrade and lowering front end. Also rack n pinion right hand drive. Any help much appreciated i'm located in Aus.

Edited by Shaneo
Forgot

Shane.........welcome...............the 350/400 swap won't win many friends.........lol...... but your car, your choice, its all good........my 1940 Dodge has had a 318 poly/auto since 1973, it uses P76 discs & calipers, EA/EB Falcon complete rear axle is a bolt in, P76 booster & master cylinder, narrowed Austin 1800 rack, it has a few things on it that I'd do differently now but as its been this way for 40 yrs or so and works it'll stay that way............give me a call on 02 66 425963 anytime or email scaleautomobilia@hotkey.net.au .......regards, Andy Douglas  

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

The black car pictured above is indeed a D24  but the blue one is a D25.  Notice it is smaller and that the fender lines do not extend into the door.  D25s were not available with Fluid Drive.

Hey guys, thanx for your replies. Rob your on the money it's the same as your photo just has two more doors.  I was purely only thinking that motor and trans because i have that combo fresh sitting in shed, has crossed my mind of leaveing the six in. Are they worth throwing $ into them, it is a super deluxe supose to be the highest output motor you could get for that model? Its got low miles she has been in a barn for the last 35 years. Also are butch's or rusty hope gear worth a look? Might have too pick your brain Andy Il give you a call cheers.

Gday Shaneo i have the original motor in my Desoto same body as Plymouth and Dodge just different grills front fenders are different on parking lamps for plymouth. Im running a holden carb on my flathead much easier for spares than original performance is not bad good for about 85km can go faster but just watch the tank guage drop . Have another club member who has a plymouth with overdrive in it can do highway speeds at about 650 rpm less than me . Being that we have the 25" block you can Put the Kew Motors from the later cars was going to put a 250 cubic inch in in my plymouth and auto from a 54 plymouth save the changing in traffic but thats a pipe dream at moment. too many projects on the go.

Cheers Gareth

Edited by sp15cspecial

Yeh, Shane get a tape out and measure the length of the head, should be 25", also should have "KEW" at the start of the engine number stamped into the block above the generator, it will be 218 cubes(not the 217 of the plymouth/dodge 23" engine), 228 cubes from 1954 then 250 from 57 to 62 with the Chrysler Royals.......anyway am supposedly retired or at least between gainful employment so any time is o/k to call............general rule of thumb we used yrs ago for a 46-48 Oz mopar was if the fenders went into the front doors then it had the Fluid Drive, the shorter fenders meant that it was a standard manual clutch .......tho' I never knew how accurate this rule of thumb was, lol............andyd   

The chassis units complete with engines for the D25C, P15C and SP15C were all imported from Windsor, Ontario.  Thus they were all 218.0-cid 25" block engines.  That carried through 1949 (P18C, D32C, SP18C), 1950 (P20C, D36C, SP20C), 1951-52 (P23-2, D40-2, SP3-2) and 1953 (P24-2, D43-2, SP24-2).  That's not to say you might not find one with a Kew.  It just might not be the original engine.

For 1954 American chassis were imported as well but they came equipped with Kew engines.   For 1955 and 1956 the smaller US Plymouth engine was imported for the bottom line Plymouth Cranbrook (P25, P26), Dodge Kingsway Custom (DP25, DP26) and DeSoto Diplomat Custom (SP25, SP26).  

The midrange models had engines stamped KEW.2P (Plymouth Savoy, Dodge Kingsway Crusader, and DeSoto Diplomat Regent)

And the top models had engines KEW.2PF (Plymouth Belvedere, Dodge Kingsway Coronet and DeSoto Diplomat Plaza).

The 1956 Plymouth and Dodge Kingsway continued to use imported U.S. 1954 chassis while the 1956 and late 1955 DeSoto Diplomats appear to have used chassis from an outside supplier.  Serial numbers were not American or Canadian in origin.  Possibly the supplier was the same as for the Chrysler Royal.

This information is from the "Auto Reference Book 1925-1961", published by the K. G. Murray Publishing Co. Pty. Ltd, Sydney, Australia, for Scientific Magazines Publishing Co. Pty. Ltd. in March, 1962.

The Desoto S11C was imported from Canada in 1947-48 and the Dodge D24C in 1946-47.

Bill