Dodges close to home

There's a farm less than 10 miles from me that I drive by at least once a week.  There's so many trucks and old semis parked around the property its kinda crazy.  A lot of those trucks are Dodges.  Today I made up my mind I was going to stop.  Glad I did.  The gentleman who lives there is a super nice guy and we talked for more than an hour.  He allowed me to walk his property by myself to check things out.  He has two 46? or 47 Dodge trucks that he's willing to part with.  One of them you can see from the highway, the other I didn't know was there until I made my way out into the field.  The blue one hasn't any rust that I could see, and actually has a nice interior.  The other one is in good shape as well, but not as nice.  It was an old wrecker and has a winch on the back.  I think before too long I will own both, as I have been wanting this style of truck for 20+ years.  I think its time I make it happen.  

21.jpg

• Like 4

Here's the blue one, which was just a chassis cab.  There is another Dodge cab resting on the frame rails of this one.  I couldn't get a good pic because the sun was so bright.  He also has a 48 1 1/2 ton Dodge that absolutely blew my mind.  NO RUST at all.  He had the fenders off of it (had been working on repainting it).  He said he had it running good at one point, then it got set aside.  It has a pristine brush guard on the front, which neither of us knew if that was original to the truck.  He had removed the flatbed, so it was just the chassis sitting on what looked like to be original tires.  They still held air.  I didn't get a pic of that one, but hope to on my next visit.

30.jpg

Wooden18, Charlie Stephenson here.  By chance did you notice any 20" 10 bolt 6 hand hole Goodyear single split RING wheels on any of the bigger trucks ?  I sure need 2 so I can Get My B 4 YX up on new rubber for the ATHS convension this May 23 2017 here in Des Moines, IA. 5152767877 ?

1 minute ago, Charlie Stephenson said:

Wooden18, Charlie Stephenson here.  By chance did you notice any 20" 10 bolt 6 hand hole Goodyear single split RING wheels on any of the bigger trucks ?  I sure need 2 so I can Get My B 4 YX up on new rubber for the ATHS convension this May 23 2017 here in Des Moines, IA. 5152767877 ?

Hi Charlie, there was so many things to see I was just flabbergasted to say the least.  It would NOT surprise me one bit if he had something like that lying around, not even on a truck.  Its insane how much stuff he has.  I will ask him when I return, which will be soon.  He mentioned to me that he will be attending this year's convention (not something I was familiar with, but I am now) this year because it happens to be in Iowa which is close to us, and not in one of the coastal states which is so far away.  I will get back to you on this...

I know this isn't a Dodge with a flathead :D but I just had to post this for you guys.  When's the last time you seen one of these, if ever?  Has a big Cummins in it.  Part of this guy's collection.  He also had a 63 or 4 D500 dumptruck and a 63 Power Wagon 3/4 ton longbox sitting in the weeds.  He also had 2 of the swing out fender Dodge trucks, one an 800 tandem axle dumptruck, and one 700 chassis cab.

18.jpg

Edited by Worden18
  • Like 2

Visited the "junkyard" again on Saturday.  Took a bunch of photos for you guys.  Here's the 48 I was telling you guys about.  The guy doesn't want to sell this one.  He has the fenders off and in his shop for paint.  The truck does run.  I couldn't find any rust on it.  Interior is fair.  It has a 2 speed rear axle.  Not sure if its a 1 1/2 ton or not.  Its certainly not bigger than that.  The front grill is really interesting.  Is this a factory option?  Was it put on there by whomever originally purchased the truck?  Its hard to tell from the angle (I couldn't get a straight shot pic because the truck is up against a pole shed) but that center part is definitely a "D" for Dodge; or at least that's my take on it.  I did find a YouTube video that shows a 48 with the same grill.  Anyone know anything about these grills?  I didn't see any pics or information about them in Don Bunn's Pilothouse Dodge book.  Just curious, its very interesting.

1.jpg

Here's the other one with the longer wheelbase that has a Dodge cab sitting on the back.  Not a bad interior on this one, and no rust holes I could see.  The wrecker had some rust but not too bad.

17.jpg