1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe - new project

GT420HP

Starting my first hot rod build or gasser build...not sure yet where I am going.  I do know I am not going to keep a lot of the parts like bumpers, flathead V6, trim pieces, etc.  Going to do some V8 swap.  Pictures here http://tech61.com/plymouth/

Might need help on some of the bigger things like engine swap, tranny, etc.  Any recommendations for local builders near Pittsburgh, PA is welcome.  Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GT420HP said:

Starting my first hot rod build or gasser build...not sure yet where I am going.  I do know I am not going to keep a lot of the parts like bumpers, flathead V6, trim pieces, etc.  Going to do some V8 swap.  Pictures here http://tech61.com/plymouth/

Might need help on some of the bigger things like engine swap, tranny, etc.  Any recommendations for local builders near Pittsburgh, PA is welcome.  Thanks

If I were you,I would definitely keep the flathead V-6. Those boogers are REALLY rare.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong here.....your car, your choice and I'm a hotrodder but if you are asking for help regarding doing the modifications then because there are not so many areas where the aftermarket caters for the DYI builder like a Frod or Shev then it means that unless you have lots of coin to pay a shop then you have to do most of it yourself and speaking as someone who has done most of it themselves its a steep learning curve...........my suggestion would be to NOT touch the car until and unless I had seen quite a few different modified mopars, also the gasser style of car is not something that many 40's mopars were used for so it will probably not garner the acceptance that Frods, Shevs, Studes, and other lighter cars would get........of course the High & Mighty 1949 Plymouth Coupe is one notable exception..........anyway, I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but I'd suggest making a couple of cups of coffee & start reading thru ALL the threads on this forum, also join the HAMB if you haven't already done so and have fun..........regards from Oz...Andy Douglas        

• Like 3

On 3/20/2017 at 2:13 PM, knuckleharley said:

If I were you,I would definitely keep the flathead V-6. Those boogers are REALLY rare.

I had never heard of a V-6, you made me do a google search:P

On 3/20/2017 at 8:53 PM, Andydodge said:

Don't get me wrong here.....your car, your choice and I'm a hotrodder but if you are asking for help regarding doing the modifications then because there are not so many areas where the aftermarket caters for the DYI builder like a Frod or Shev then it means that unless you have lots of coin to pay a shop then you have to do most of it yourself and speaking as someone who has done most of it themselves its a steep learning curve...........my suggestion would be to NOT touch the car until and unless I had seen quite a few different modified mopars, also the gasser style of car is not something that many 40's mopars were used for so it will probably not garner the acceptance that Frods, Shevs, Studes, and other lighter cars would get........of course the High & Mighty 1949 Plymouth Coupe is one notable exception..........anyway, I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but I'd suggest making a couple of cups of coffee & start reading thru ALL the threads on this forum, also join the HAMB if you haven't already done so and have fun..........regards from Oz...Andy Douglas        

thanks for the words of advice....I do like to be different for drag racing cars....I was one of the few "older guys" who had owned the Mitsubishi Evo's and raced as much as I did.  Different is more appealing to me....I even thought about putting a 2.0L turbo in this thing...but then it wouldn't have the exhaust sounds that come with a V8.

Just now, Skrambler said:

I am just North of you, in Mars.

Let me know about your left overs. I may be interested!

Good luck with your project!

probably closer than you think...I am in Gibsonia technically.  I will let you know...I haven't even had a chance to open boxes yet....too busy at work the last week.

1 hour ago, GT420HP said:

thanks for the words of advice....I do like to be different for drag racing cars....I was one of the few "older guys" who had owned the Mitsubishi Evo's and raced as much as I did.  Different is more appealing to me....I even thought about putting a 2.0L turbo in this thing...but then it wouldn't have the exhaust sounds that come with a V8.

Have you ever heard the sound of a inline six with a cam,split cast iron exhaust,duals,and glasspacks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Tdi4QZjb0

Actually, Knuckles mention of an inline 6 makes me think that maybe the idea of a 250-265 Chrysler 6, big cam, maybe a blower like a 4-71 or even sometime like that used on late Toyotas with a nice set of Fenton or split headers and that would maybe wake up the gasser guys.......the intake manifold would be a bit of a fiddly piece but doable......lol.....andyd.