Window Winder

meadowbrook

Ever notice how fast the windows in these old dodges open or close? I mean maybe 3 turms? And low effort too. Wonder why they became to slow on later cars.

• Like 1

Haha first time my wife rode in the car it was pretty hot out. I saw her out of the corner of my eye getting ready to roll her window down. Like really steeling herself for the arduous task ahead. I could tell she was expecting a battle. (She has ridden with me in a great number of old piles over the years.) She grabbed ahold of the window crank with all her might and was amazed that it rolled right down with hardly any effort. It was pretty amusing.

That was a feature which was rarely acknowledged and having driven these cars for over 50 years, it is one which is greatly appreciated by me.

Should you ever disassemble a window regulator  you will find a counterbalancing spring of some significance but if you look further and open the case that has the small gear, there is a friction brake in there which prevents the weight of the glass from opening the window on its own.

The 53 and 54 models were the best with only 1 1/2 turns required to raise and lower the window.