Parking and Tail lights

tanda62

After taking apart my parking and tail lights I have found that some else has been here before and made some interesting changes.  To accommodate the turn signal additional wires were added and the sockets were switched.  These sockets have long since rusted and in the case of the tail lights were so bad they came apart into the pieces you see here.  

So here is my question after searching the forums and not finding an answer (maybe my search skills are subpar).  Sticking with a six volt system could I use a GM 8912698 plastic socket with bulb number 1154 to replace both the parking and tail lights?  Has anyone done this?  Is there a better solution?  Thanks for any help.

taillight left.gif

Parking lamp left.gif

taillight old socket.gif

pco-5404pt_w_ml.gif

For my parking lights I got sockets from NAPA and soldered them in after bending the tabs over inside the reflector.  Sorry I don't have any more info than that for you.  One of the few things I didn't document well.

Here is an update so far.  The GM socket is too large to fit in the tail light unless you cut off the plastic tabs and that seems rather silly.  I am going to get the pictured sockets (same as I pulled out of the tail lights) which are available at my local Auto zone and use liquid electrical tape to weatherproof them as best I can along with some paint.  While the 1154 bulbs fit this socket here is a link to some bulbs claiming to be brighter and still six volt - might give them a try. http://store.candlepower.com/newca6v11sub.html

Thanks for your replies.

The parking lights are another story.  Anyone have a source for the reflector and socket part of the lights?  I see plenty of lenses and chrome bezels but not the reflector and socket.  And finding a 4 1/4 inch replacement is proving difficult as most new ones seem to be either 4 or 5 inches.  If I cannot find a replacement then I will clean these up best I can and use them.

5401x1__36784.1270746870.380.500.gif

Ggdad, I did the same as you did. Some things I don't fight, I just installed an electrical  radiator fan, seeking noise reduction. Test run today. To me these types of changes allow someone down the road to return to original. Same goes for disc brakes.. yet, best to those who repair.