1939 Chrysler find

pflaming

Subject to a close exam, I will purchase this car because: 1) the key is in the ignition, 2) the back seats appear to have their original covers, 3) it appears to have the original paint, 4) it is a complete car, and 5) it was bought at a valley estate sale.

If I buy it, I will see if I can start the  engine and drive it by tuneup and minimal mechanical repair. The seller has already agreed to a September payment and delivery so that allows me time to finish and sell the suburban and get both knees replaced.  So this thread will not be very active til then.

https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/6035068708.html

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

before committing to a project of this magnitude, and especially with the lead time you have to purchase, suggest you start beating the bushes and check availability of any and all missing parts and their associated prices.  Lots of trim pieces and bezels missing removed and may be part of what is pictured inside.  See a couple headliner bows, garnish etc so do a check to see if they all there and so forth.  Do a walk around of the car and take inventory of parts removed verse parts stored inside, estimate extent of damage and repairs needed be it dents or welds to perform.  I see quite the project even for a rat rod or advanced patina vehicle.

• Like 1

Good luck with the knee replacements first. My 70 year old buddy Irving in Asheville N.C. told me last night his doctor told him he needs a knee replacement also. I asked him why and he said it was because of arthritis. Also a buddy of mine at work 60 just got one late last year, and it didn't do him a bit of good (he limps). I don't want to suggest anything because I am not a doctor and this site is for car repairs, however, it seems to me the doctors are handing out knee replacements like they handed out bypass surgery in the Eighties. Just be darned sure your up for it, and do one at a time to gauge what actual good it does you. It is a hell of a risk (stroke, etc) to take if not totally necessary. By the way that 1939 Chrysler sure looks like a nice find. Go for it and keep us posted. By the way I took Cholosterol pills for five years, and had terrible knee pain to the point that I almost needed a cane to walk. I quit the pills, and a month or so later I was good as new. Once again nice 39 I would do the car first. Good luck. (Irving said the surgery was going to be about 130k). Nice doctors, they really care about us.

Tom

Regarding knee surgery results. I have a number fo friends who have new knees.  All say that the physical therapy work is what determines the rate of success.  Those darn cholesterol pills did a number on my leg muscles. Been off them now for two years. 

You have your work cut out for you but it's better than some rust buckets people attack.

As for knees I can relate some horror stories.  I suffered for years with knee and leg pain.    I got sick a few years ago lost ten pounds and my knee pain went away.

Time can be a good healer.

I have the cousin to this car the 39 Desoto.  You will have a hard time finding the original white plastic insert pieces that are used on the dash. Since these were the early bakeilite plastic they crack and then crumble over the years.  The rear seat lookas as if it has been redone. It might be leather which was an option but not  be original. I have been collecting 39 Desoto parts for the past 25+ years and these parts are getting harder to find even at Hershey in the fall.  New mats on the running boards will cost about $700 so becareful and look over the car and determine if there is any real rot out and if there is any missing parts.  Does it have an overdrive look at the steering column to see if there isa button that you pull and it is labeled as OD.  How are the floor boards and the trunk area, usuaully the small lower section that holds the jack is ususally rotted away. How are the bottoms of the doors.

Contact me if you have any questions about this car I alsohave a lot of cross reference catalogs that can also help with the restoration.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Live near Valley forge PA

This pre buy thread is very helpful, tks all.  Rich, yes there is an OD button, and a bandjo  steering wheel. I decided not to build a usual car as my final build, both are about the same amount of work, but one is worth more when completed. I'll fix this s a daily driver fishing car via basic repair/restore then fix as I find remaing parts. I like the OD, but electrical components may need replacing.

No electrical in the overdrives of this vintage. I like the car but I can tell you it will be a monster project. My '38 Chrysler was in similar condition so I know of what I speak. Do not do the car thinking you will make money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobertKB said:

No electrical in the overdrives of this vintage. I like the car but I can tell you it will be a monster project. My '38 Chrysler was in similar condition so I know of what I speak. Do not do the car thinking you will make money.

39 was the 1st year for semi electric OD.

20170319_122906.jpg

1939 O.D (1).JPG

1939 O.D (4).JPG

• Like 1

To all,responders and readers alike. To me this prepurchase information is really helpful because it is so candid and insightful, in short the comments are not after the fact "I could have told you.

From the pictorial evidence the key in the ignition portends it was running when parked, that all windows are gone AND all window garnishings are removed indicates that they may have been sold, and it doesn't appear to have ever been mistreated. 

So im thinking, it is still drivable not withstanding the brakes. So why not do only what is necessary and drive it.  To be continued.

You you think it is still driveable, but the question is that you think it is, BUT do you know if the engine runs, the trans is working, the OD is working, the entire brake system is working.  You wil need glass in all windows, you will need headlight buckets and the glass and the reflectors and the trim rings, Tail light buckets electrical wiring, New tires. Posibly a new speedometer setup and mostly likely a hot rod setup becasue these speedometers are not found that easily.  The Chrysler and the desoto are hard car to find all of the original parts along with the Dodge and the Plumouth is easier.  Also remember alot of the parts are not transferable from Dod/Ply to Chry/Desoto.

Just weight out the missing items and the possibility that the engine does not start or is stuck along with the trans and rear end. I am ony just putting questions to ponder before you spend your money. As some else stated get a get that is already running with less of the headaches.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 2

Your advice is well taken, heeded, and will be followed. I will cancel the inspection and the purchase. This has been a very educational exercise. Many thanks, case closed! 

• Like 2

"3) it appears to have the original paint,"  I went over the photo several times and I have to ask, where are they storing the original paint? ;) 

Actually, I am glad that you are willing to take this one on rather than let it sit in a boneyard or getting ratted.

(This certainly won’t make me any friends here . . .) Correct- this most likely isn’t the proper forum for a discussion about knee replacement, or any other medical procedure, for that matter. It’s the forum to discuss our common interest, ie: older Chrysler product vehicles. But, the issue has been raised, and I feel compelled to respond, so here goes . . .

While I am a doctor, I’m NOT providing anyone formal medical advice. I’m only expressing my opinion, tho’, on the basis that others have expressed their opinions herein. It’s best to do one knee at a time, so the patient has the un-operated knee to bear the brunt of the initial weight while favoring the operated knee during physical rehab. Once the operated knee is up to the task, which is dependent upon the diligence the patient puts forth during rehab, then the second knee can be undertaken.

As for this procedure (or any other procedure, for that matter) being handed out on a cavalier basis, surgery is risky, no one will argue with that. However, no surgeon will undertake performing any procedure that isn’t medically necessary. Further, in the litigious society we live in, patients seem willing to sue their physician at the drop of a hat. Keep in mind, there are NO guarantees provided in medicine. And also remember, medicine is NOT a science, but rather – it’s a scientifically applied art. Why is that so? In science: A + B = C, every time! In medicine – an example: give an aspirin to two different patients. One may have their headache relieved, while the other one may go into anaphylaxis, which at its most severe – is fatal.

I didn’t spend 35 years in this field to see it demeaned and/or insulted. The colleagues that I encountered during that time were reputable individuals who did their level best for their patients.  I’m now off of my soapbox. Sorry if I bored anyone, or offended anyone.

• Like 7

Paul, you may remember last night I suggested this is a project you should pass on. I'm glad others have chimed in with similar opinions. This is just more than you should take on at your age - hell, it's more than I should take on and you've got a half dozen years on me!

I have no doubt you can find a running, or nearly running, similar car for a hell of a lot less money than you'd have in this just getting it on the road. Not finished in any way, just driveable. And that is not even thinking about all your labor.

We should all keep our eyes open for something you want. If it's a 39  Chrysler and nothing else, let us know. If it's a late 30's Chrysler or Desoto, same deal. Someone will notice one.

So, what are the specifications we should be looking for?

The sentiments expressed in Post #17 stand. I have two knees and a suburban to contend with this spring and summer and that is plenty to do. I do appreciate Austin's  comments, thanks. So I'm going to put a bit more effort into the suburban and then enjoy it for a time for fishing and  short trips to some of the many scenic areas in this state. 

I really enjoy this hobby. The bonus is the people I have met and those I will meet along the way. Have a great spring and summer,  

a final shot, NCAA basketball is tremendously exciting to watch. The passing, driving, quick offenses are really fun to see develop and finish off. 

To pflaming, Dodgeb4ya, kbuhagiar, Feudin_Wagon, Niel Hoback, Reg Evans,

Gentlemen, please accept my sincere, heart-felt appreciation and gratitude for your “liking my post in the topic ‘1939 Chrysler Find’” of Sunday evening, the 19th of March, 2017. I readily admit that this wasn’t the proper forum for a discussion about medical procedures, but rather old cars manufactured by the Chrysler Corporation. And, I certainly didn’t expect to any friends with those comments, but obviously – I was wrong. It seems as tho’ I’ve made six here, and I’m proud to say that I do consider each of you as my friends. Thank You!

Further, and lastly, I’ve been accused in another topic “260 Poly V-8 into a 40’s Mopar” of [sic] fostering misinformation. As I stated therein – I didn’t write the damn book. I merely quoted information out of it. If the individual has an issue with the accuracy of the information, complain to the author, not me. Well, I think that about covers that . . .  I’ve probably expended more energy on this engine information issue than it’s worth.

Gentlemen, I wish all of you the best, and to pflaming, I want to pass along my best wishes to you as you undergo your surgery/ies. Take care, follow instructions, relax, and I’m confident the results will be OK. Warmest personal regards, I remain . . . “The Dr’s In”, but now, I’m “the Dr’s Out”.

• Like 1