Leaf Springs, Shackles, Bushings Revisited

Okay so had some time to look at my front suspension and give it some grease too.

I want to install new shackles, and bushing sets, front and rear, and also want to remove leaf spring(s).

The tie rod ends are new, so is the drag link, king pins are newer, tight, but today could not get grease into the top zerks.

The steering box has a small amount of play, and is still leaky, gonna get corn head grease and be done with it.

Also took the time to search and read, but looking for further first hand details and experience on this.

My goal isa tight, softer riding truck, but am not looking to lower it all that  much.

Gentleman start your engines.....

Get new shackles and a good 1/2 drive impact if you don't have one already. If you have the silent U ones and the U is good you can buy the jeep ones cheap and just use the threaded bushing pieces. Or use the jeep shorter U for lowering. On the earlier ones some are LH thread. Make sure you get the right jeep ones if you need LH or RH thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

Get new shackles and a good 1/2 drive impact if you don't have one already. If you have the silent U ones and the U is good you can buy the jeep ones cheap and just use the threaded bushing pieces. Or use the jeep shorter U for lowering. On the earlier ones some are LH thread. Make sure you get the right jeep ones if you need LH or RH thread.

Okay Thanks

Upon inspection on the front leaf springs, they appear to be pretty straight especially on the drivers side, must a been 1 big farmer owned this truck at some point.

Now I have spring packs from a 1955 Dodge 1 ton, I am hoping to use some of these as they look in better shape, have to wait till spring for a closer look.

How many and which springs should I remove to soften the ride and to lower it a bit?

The front has 8 leaf springs, the rear has 7.

My goal is to lower this truck slightly, and especially the rearend, I am not looking for a tail dragger or a real low truck, as I live on gravel, and do haul the odd thing too.

The front drivers side spring pack are worn out, and straight, but I have a 55 dodge 1 ton pickup parts frame.

Does anyone know if I can use the 1 ton front springs minus a few leaves for a replacement?

I do not have a parts book, but they measure the same width and thickness wise..

I bought shackles/bushings for mine last year from ESPO Spring.   Very pleased.  I've done business with them before-very knowledgeable and helpful folks.

21 minutes ago, 59bisquik said:

I used McVeighs truck spring out of Michigan and got brand new springs. They were reasonably priced and easy to deal with. I am happy with the ride too.

While I wouldn't mind new springs, the USD and CDN exchange rates, ssssssshipping is big dollars on heavy items once it goes across the border.

The joint you dealt with, I am way closer to Michigan than you, but the minute it goes to Canada, the shipping is 3 times more.

When our dollar difference was more civil, I used to ship things to Pembina ND and pick it up from that point, which is an hour and a half away.....

• Like 1