Official Transmission Conversion Thread

55 Fargo

11 minutes ago, oldasdirt said:

No one is shocked that Don and Adams and others are lining up with their t5 stuff as someone  is doing something else. Its clear its just too much to ask for all of the usual suspect to stay in their respective corners.  Clearly this entire site has run its course, and the "shark has been jumped" yet again.

oldasdirt, for the record I have no problem with you making a reference to me however I would appreciate it that you get your facts correct before grouping me all inclusive or casting any dispersions my way.  At no time ever on this or any forum have I ever claimed to having installed any T5 and for that matter I cannot even fathom to guess that I would do one in the future.  I will admit to making many many upgrades in drivetrains on my cars as I see fit and fit to me is usually 100% mopar borrowed from factory built car.  As for the current build being done, if he is happy I am tickled pink.....his car/truck, his time, his money whatever makes him happy is fine with me and to that I believe that sums it all up.  The ole one is better than the other is a fight that needs not be brought up every time and I do not recall anyone post T5 stuff till the originator of the thread throws a comment that way thus an invitation for other to comment.  I have nothing to gain, lose or prove on this thread and the only other manual tranny I have about the place for future upgrading one of my older mopars is the A833 in OD version.  Truly if you have read my postings in the past my recent 5 speed is a NV3500, and being Dodge variant, does not lend itself to much of a retrofit without using the basic engine it is designed to mate with as the bell is integral.  Jeep on the other hand has such possibilities in that department but I did not go that route and thus have no comment to the overall task of retrofitting. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Young Ed, states a few comments, but suspect he has never driven any of his vehicles with his T5 transmissions, all of which are NWC S10 versions, so yes Chevrolet parts, but he sees it another way. This trans is the bottom of the barrel, the weakest cheapest of all the T5 Tremec transmissions,  very light duty, shifter with no stops, meant for low HP low torque applications. But somehow it's touted as the best, gotta scratch my head on that one.

Again think this thread has lived it's life, and most likely will be locked away from future posts.

You are correct I haven't driven my T5 truck yet. I am still building it. This trans is built by BorgWarner. Yes it came out of an S10. So what? Chevy didn't make it. Low torque low HP applications sounds exactly like what belongs behind a flathead 6. 

How can this thread be locked? It's the OFFICIAL thread for transmission swaps.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

You are correct I haven't driven my T5 truck yet. I am still building it. This trans is built by BorgWarner. Yes it came out of an S10. So what? Chevy didn't make it. Low torque low HP applications sounds exactly like what belongs behind a flathead 6. 

How can this thread be locked? It's the OFFICIAL thread for transmission swaps.

Ed, yes you have chosen a T5 designed for a Chevy S10, and those engines, Ed, develop a lot less torque in the lower RPM band then a healthy Chrysler flathead 6, so yes they are indeed designed for a different type engine.

The gear spreads, are terrible, especially the 4.03 1st gear and what a .86 overdrive, listen Ed, I am very well informed, on these transmissions.

Ed are you saying you now control content material, what is admissible what can be locked, and such, Ed? Just sayin....

10 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Ed, yes you have chosen a T5 designed for a Chevy S10, and those engines, Ed, develop a lot less torque in the lower RPM band then a healthy Chrysler flathead 6, so yes they are indeed designed for a different type engine.

The gear spreads, are terrible, especially the 4.03 1st gear and what a .86 overdrive, listen Ed, I am very well informed, on these transmissions.

Ed are you saying you now control content material, what is admissible what can be locked, and such, Ed? Just sayin....

Perhaps you should look up the 4.3L v6 and compare the specs. You also quoted 2 gear ratios and neither of them are in my T5s. Do a little homework before you say you are well informed.

32 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

Perhaps you should look up the 4.3L v6 and compare the specs. You also quoted 2 gear ratios and neither of them are in my T5s. Do a little homework before you say you are well informed.

I am fully well aware of the 3.67 1st gear spec with a .72 5th overdrive Ed.

Again a lousy gear spread, but overdrive is improved, which do you own? Nevermind, I don't care to be honest.

Anyone of these transmissions with a 3.73, 3.90 or 4.11 diff will leave you shifting into 3rd gear before you get across a large intersection.

2 hours ago, oldasdirt said:

It is too bad you and others thing that retainer is an alignment item because that was never its intention.  

The retainer hole on the AoK adapter plate is a red herring. That is not how they are precision aligning it, nor should they. 

Since you claim to be an expert in this subject.....

• How, EXACTLY, is a transmission aligned to a bellhousing?

And if the front bearing retainer is not 'designed' for this purpose, then why does MaMopar go to the trouble of dedicating a page in the service manual (section 6-9) to explain why the bell must be aligned to the block?

Perhaps no alignment is needed on any of these parts.......:P

As an edit, I have been challenged to post photos of my adapter for the A-833 to L6 bell. Since I do not (yet) make one I have no pics to offer.  Until the previous photos had been posted I fully assumed that any adapter would, in fact, have some means of registration. For those that question the need I can only say to do a little research regarding parallel shaft mis-alignment and the resulting issues.

Edited by wayfarer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, wayfarer said:

Since you claim to be an expert in this subject.....

• How, EXACTLY, is a transmission aligned to a bellhousing?

And if the front bearing retainer is not 'designed' for this purpose, then why does MaMopar go to the trouble of dedicating a page in the service manual (section 6-9) to explain why the bell must be aligned to the block?

Perhaps no alignment is needed on any of these parts.......:P

I have included you with a conversation with Tim, so perhaps you can take this matter off this thread now.

As all your doing is inciting friction, again I will publicly ask you, where are the adapter plates you manufacture for the Chrysler A833 trans to attach to a Chrysler flathead 6 bell housing. 

Please post your work, and pics of any standard trans adapter plates for this engine....