Official Transmission Conversion Thread

55 Fargo

I like your passenger!  LOL

I live next to Mexico, but, I will start cruising Grand in Escondido again soon.  I usually prefer to drive out my 1969 Valiant there.  It has a 4 bbl Slant Six with an A833OD in it.  This was my daily driver for almost 15 years, so the interior and paint is completely shot.  After I restore my 1930's collection of Mopars, the Valiant will be restored by me a second time around.

I am curious to see how the 3.23's work out with your Fargo. 

I like the sound of your engine, it sounds great in the video.

8 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

I like your passenger!  LOL

I live next to Mexico, but, I will start cruising Grand in Escondido again soon.  I usually prefer to drive out my 1969 Valiant there.  It has a 4 bbl Slant Six with an A833OD in it.  This was my daily driver for almost 15 years, so the interior and paint is completely shot.  After I restore my 1930's collection of Mopars, the Valiant will be restored by me a second time around.

I am curious to see how the 3.23's work out with your Fargo. 

I like the sound of your engine, it sounds great in the video.

Hey CCJ, and any other silent Lurkers. I can almost guarantee, the A833 and a 3.23 marriage will not be so sweet, as in order to use the 4th overdrive, it could be after about 55 mph. I guess this is possible, no hills or wind, just putting along at 65 mph and 1800 rpm.

The best combo woul dbe a 3.55 or a 3.73, better pickup in all 3 gears and more rpm at lower speeds in overdrive.

These trucks have a lot of rolling resistance to wind noticeable at 60 mph, and very noticeable at 70 mph.

The engine I have a 1955 spec, Canadian long block 228 or 238, stroke is verified at 4.25 but bore I do not know, this engine is about 105 hp, so older, maybe what 70 to the back wheels.

The little 1/2 tons 108 wb, are light, but this combo in a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup would be truly sucked out.

I invite those who maybe running an overdrive trans with gearing similar to mine to share their experiences....

Edited by Rockwood
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, P15-D24 said:

Here is the pdf version, download and you can zoom in to read the details. 

hp_torque.pdf

Very interesting, with a low HP Low RPM long stroke engine, the propulsion of thrust, and torque is max at 1200-1400 RPM and pushing about 50 hp at the time.

Now theoretically these engines should be able to push in overdrive at lower than 2000 rpm, as torque has been developed well before this point.

Okay I have an A833 overdrive trans from an 83 dodge truck, greasy as heck, rusty shifter linkage but all there, and internals reputed to be in great form, we shall find out.

The plan clean this case up, blast and paint shifter linkages etc, open the case, and a trans shop owner pal of mine will have a good look.

513435716.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

• Like 1

I think I figured out me new parking brake and wheel chocks for my trans conversion swap.

Have a look.

This of course is only for joking purposes only, and in no way to be taken seriously.

This is a trans destinend for someone else project

20170414_142906_resized.jpg

20170414_143004_resized.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

I think I figured out me new parking brake and wheel chocks for my trans conversion swap.

Have a look.

This of course is only for joking purposes only, and in no way to be taken seriously.

Ahhh, what a excellent way to repurpose one of those.  

6 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Okay I have an A833 overdrive trans from an 83 dodge truck, greasy as heck, rusty shifter linkage but all there, and internals reputed to be in great form, we shall find out.

The plan clean this case up, blast and paint shifter linkages etc, open the case, and a trans shop owner pal of mine will have a good look.

513435716.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

I found a 1975 case, it's cast iron and tough to find in the world of A833 OD's....  I am also planning on building this transmission using a earlier side cover/reverse arrangement.  I have had issues with the "Scissor" design binding up and sticking into a gear and not shifting back out into neutral.

The set up will have to be cannibalized from a Pre-1971 A833.

19 minutes ago, classiccarjack said:

I found a 1975 case, it's cast iron and tough to find in the world of A833 OD's....  I am also planning on building this transmission using a earlier side cover/reverse arrangement.  I have had issues with the "Scissor" design binding up and sticking into a gear and not shifting back out into neutral.

The set up will have to be cannibalized from a Pre-1971 A833.

Yes the 1st series 1975 A833 overdrive wee cast iron, and these are brutes, especially the 1960 early 70s 4spd trans, have to behind a 426 hemi or 440 6 pack.

I had troubles with shifter linkages with my A833 trans behind my 1971 Duster 340, but most likely I was the cause of it, and previous owners jambin gears like a maniac.

I drove the hell out of that car.

I bought this A833 dirt cheap, less than a T5 by far, yes its dirty, and rusty, but the internals are quality, and it supposed to be good, we shall find out..

• Like 1

Here is the trans, T98 acme, super heavy duty, used in the c series trucks and Canadian M37s.

It doesn't shift too bad, but 1st is useless for my use, and not sure if these old trans are any more noisy than a new type.

I am not quite sure why it's in a 108 WB 1/2 ton, as those normally should have a 3 on the tree, shouldn't they?

My engine is a numbers matching for Fargo 1955-56, so who knows, maybe some mixing and matching in the past 62 years.

20170414_152509_resized.jpg

20170414_152521_resized.jpg

5 hours ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Have a look.

Wouldn't it be easier to just properly repair the brakes?

• Like 1

On 4/12/2017 at 6:24 PM, P15-D24 said:

Here is the pdf version, download and you can zoom in to read the details. 

hp_torque.pdf

So at which rpm, would the most optimal operating range be, for HP, torque and vacuum?

This question is open to all.

I am leaning at 2500 rpm, should it be lower though at say 2200 rpm or higher at 2600-2800 rpm?

On 4/14/2017 at 5:23 PM, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Here is the trans, T98 acme, super heavy duty, used in the c series trucks and Canadian M37s.

It doesn't shift too bad, but 1st is useless for my use, and not sure if these old trans are any more noisy than a new type.

I am not quite sure why it's in a 108 WB 1/2 ton, as those normally should have a 3 on the tree, shouldn't they?

My engine is a numbers matching for Fargo 1955-56, so who knows, maybe some mixing and matching in the past 62 years.

20170414_152509_resized.jpg

20170414_152521_resized.jpg

Is that Transmission fully synchronized?  To be honest, I am not familiar with the Transmission you have.  I want to learn more about it.  

I was told that the A410 I have is only synchronized in 3rd and 4th gears.  I will have to double clutch for 1st and 2nd gears.  I have not removed the top cover to verify this.

the A410 is not like the two Power Wagon Transmissions that I have built.  So it has me very excited to dig into it, study it, measure and learn.

BTW, those are some nice muscle cars that you own.

Does the Acme Transmission have a good history as being reliable?  I am only asking because my wife is terrified of double clutching.  I picked up the A410 to help.  But if I can find a transmission like yours to put into my 1.5 Ton, I will look for one.  I cannot find a 5 speed from that era with the OD 5th anywhere. 

I bought a transmission combo up in Murphy's, I will be traveling up there to pick it up this summer.  When I do, I would like to show it to you and 48Dodger to help me ID it.  Would you be up for this?  It's out of a 1935 Dodge logging truck I believe.

3 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

Does the Acme Transmission have a good history as being reliable?  I am only asking because my wife is terrified of double clutching.  I picked up the A410 to help.  But if I can find a transmission like yours to put into my 1.5 Ton, I will look for one.  I cannot find a 5 speed from that era with the OD 5th anywhere. 

I bought a transmission combo up in Murphy's, I will be traveling up there to pick it up this summer.  When I do, I would like to show it to you and 48Dodger to help me ID it.  Would you be up for this?  It's out of a 1935 Dodge logging truck I believe.

The T98A is a very tough bullet proof trans used by a number of manufactureres, including the Canadian Powerwagons.

Here is a few pics of my $100 A833 overdrive trans, all geara shift well, its crusty and rusty so all will be blasted clean ed oiled where needed.

There is a down side, the front bearing retainer is cracked around the shaft, I did not notice this on purchase.

The guy who sold it to me, is going to look into his stash for another, the input shaft is a bit wobbly....

This trans is very rugged built as compared to the T5, heavy duty, Chrysler of the time..

20170416_133158_resized.jpg

20170416_133203_resized.jpg

20170416_135405_resized_1.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:40 PM, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

I think I figured out me new parking brake and wheel chocks for my trans conversion swap....

Hopefully this trans finds a good home before it gets gravel all up inside the case. Even if it's a NWC, it's strong enough for placement behind the low power flat six. If the gears are not the optimal ratios, change 'em, or change the ring & pinion.

4x4's work great for chocks!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John-T-53 said:

Hopefully this trans finds a good home before it gets gravel all up inside the case. Even if it's a NWC, it's strong enough for placement behind the low power flat six. If the gears are not the optimal ratios, change 'em, or change the ring & pinion.

4x4's work great for chocks!

Its only a joke, and it was not drug anyware, and is in nice clean shape.

The gent that owns it actually has got cold feet and is sticking with his stock trans.

This trans is for sale, I do not want a T5, as I have this A833 rugged brute of a trans...

20170418_134153_resized.jpg

51 minutes ago, 55 Fargo Spitfire said:

Its only a joke, and it was not drug anyware, and is in nice clean shape.

The gent that owns it actually has got cold feet and is sticking with his stock trans.

This trans is for sale, I do not want a T5, as I have this A833 rugged brute of a trans...

20170418_134153_resized.jpg

I'll give you $10