Earliest Warner overdrive 1935?? T86-1P

MoritzFlathead1935

So I acquired a T86-1 with an R6-1 attached. Said to be an overdrive. However it has no lock out solenoid, no lock out cable lever.

Wondering if this could be the model that was engaged by just letting off the gas when driving at 35mph? Maybe just before they added the lock out lever. 

I have read the article on overdrives, and it looks very similar to the 1938 od pictured. Really would like to find out some more info, hoping you all might point me in the right direction. Thank you.

t86-3.jpg

t86-4.jpg

Looks like ' Dec 36 casting date to me.

Harley is correct, it's a 1936 overdrive. The R6 is fully mechanical, no solenoid or external governor. Mine (1937 cast date) have a lever on the passenger side for a cable to engage and disengage, it appears yours doesn't but the boss is cast there for it. That makes it interesting, it'd be fun to open it up and see what's going on inside!

Screenshot_20170316-073917.png

Another cool thing is that you should be able to swap in a set of 1939 shifter forks, and also the 39 top/side shifter tower. It'll then work in a rod and cable shifted 39 Plymouth.

I think the T86-1A was the overdrive transmission used in 1936. It was a centrifugally actuated overdrive. This one came from a 1936 Desoto S1. I've seen it in Dodge, Desoto, and Chrysler for '36, and in ann ad for an export '36 Plymouth. It required a cable operated rear wheel parking brake set up to fit in the '36 frame. I think the T86-1P is a '37.

DSC05106.jpeg

DSC05108.jpeg

DSC05107.jpeg

DSC05105.jpeg

DSC04963.jpg

I have never seen OD in a USA Dodge or Ply until the 40s. I have a book having it in the UK. We have customers there and they said that they have not seen OD in the Dodge or Ply but seen them in the Chry and Desoto. I have tons of parts books and trans books in the 30s and nothing in parts for OD. What is your thoughts? Here is a 37 OD from a 37 Chry that we installed in a 34 Dodge pickup.

Underside (11).jpg

Underside (32).jpg

Underside (33).jpg

On 3/16/2017 at 5:49 AM, plyroadking said:

Harley is correct, it's a 1936 overdrive. The R6 is fully mechanical, no solenoid or external governor. Mine (1937 cast date) have a lever on the passenger side for a cable to engage and disengage, it appears yours doesn't but the boss is cast there for it. That makes it interesting, it'd be fun to open it up and see what's going on inside!

Screenshot_20170316-073917.png

37 OD because 36 had the E-brake on the rear axle. The top post picture has an E-brake on the trans.

You may also want to read the AoK boys blog on the topic of overdrives.

I think Mr Asche may be in the hospital at the moment so isn't available to speak to however once he is out and better he would be the person best equipped to answer your questions of the overdrive and its operation.

This is a Warner Heavy R-1 series OD for a 1935 Chrysler CW Airflow with the 385 Ci engine.

It has cooling fins on the OD case!

And anoter smaller R-1 going into a 35 C2 Imperial Airflow coupe...

R-1 OD 1935 CW  (Large).JPG

1935 Imperial Airflow R-1 OD Transmission.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

Most interesting thread!  I only recently saw a 36 with the OD and rear wheel parking brake.  In all my years of messing with Chrysler's products of this era , I have never seen another.  I have a 39 overdrive which originally had the column shift lid.  It has a solenoid which I believe operates a kick down function which was previously centrifugal only.  I paid $35 for this unit at Feuher Brothers yard in Springfield Illinois and shipped it west at a cost significantly more than what I paid for it. Not sure that I will ever use it but one never knows.  

On 3/20/2017 at 2:07 PM, desoto said:

You may also want to read the AoK boys blog on the topic of overdrives.

I think Mr Asche may be in the hospital at the moment so isn't available to speak to however once he is out and better he would be the person best equipped to answer your questions of the overdrive and its operation.

George just got home and is on the mend, submit any or all of your questions to Tim Kingsbury at this time...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just found the book on the Dodge in the UK. 1937 Dodge had the OD claiming that it will do 80 MPH. Also showed a 38 Dodge with a straight 8. 

Post #1 is an OD trans for a 37, not 36.

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2017 at 10:56 PM, MoritzFlathead1935 said:

So I acquired a T86-1 with an R6-1 attached. Said to be an overdrive. However it has no lock out solenoid, no lock out cable lever.

Wondering if this could be the model that was engaged by just letting off the gas when driving at 35mph? Maybe just before they added the lock out lever. 

I have read the article on overdrives, and it looks very similar to the 1938 od pictured. Really would like to find out some more info, hoping you all might point me in the right direction. Thank you.

t86-3.jpg

t86-4.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

With this being a 37OD with out the lock out cable does anyone have information about the shifting procedure? This is my biggest concern  if I take the time to put it in and can't figure out how to safely manage it on the road, what good is it to me?

I also wouldn't mind finding more info for repairing the current T-9 configuration to see what it has to offer.

IMG_1662.JPG

Info.jpg

IMG_0010.JPG

The truck runs great, drips oil constantly, so guess I need to break down and get new gaskets and seals. But this summer the drivers window stopped working found out it has a broken gear in the regulator. Does the fact that it has suicide doors mean that it will have a different style regulator than standard doors? And anyone have a suggestion for where to find a replacement regulator? Thanks

IMG_8517.JPG

IMG_8516.JPG